DBA "Just Like Glass®" Screen Protector - ZAGG Killer?

Search This thread

Mathjkt

Jun 29, 2007
Perth
Best screen protector i have tried. Feel is great, fit is perfect for my UAG case, no bubbles, crystal clear.
Nothing more to ask from a screen protector.
Very easy to install

:good:

javamaniac

Feb 1, 2012
It's been just over a week since I put the JLG screen protector on the Galaxy SIII. I love it. It's glassy-smooth and you cannot tell that it's on the phone unless you really look at it. I will still highly recommend the purchase for anyone wanting that extra protection at a low cost without adding a negative look/feel to your phone.

I got 2 tiny micro scratches from wiping some sort of particle off of it, and I can see the slight rainbow effect from those tiny scratches. I am not worried about it because it doesn't impair use of the phone at all, but it would be nice to somehow smooth them out.

Is there any way to safely remove/blend in micro scratches (tiny - almost un-noticeable)?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
It's been just over a week since I put the JLG screen protector on the Galaxy SIII. I love it. It's glassy-smooth and you cannot tell that it's on the phone unless you really look at it. I will still highly recommend the purchase for anyone wanting that extra protection at a low cost without adding a negative look/feel to your phone.

I got 2 tiny micro scratches from wiping some sort of particle off of it, and I can see the slight rainbow effect from those tiny scratches. I am not worried about it because it doesn't impair use of the phone at all, but it would be nice to somehow smooth them out.

Is there any way to safely remove/blend in micro scratches (tiny - almost un-noticeable)?

Sent from my SGH-I747 using xda premium

Over time your finger going over that spot will remove them. Honestly I haven't tried any other way since they never bothered me much but I'm sure there is a way to speed it up.

Please email me at scott@dbacases.com

Scott

gtrslngrchris

Feb 4, 2013
Just got mine in yesterday and will be applying it tonight. Hopefully I'll have some success getting it on perfectly so it doesn't interfere with my UAG case.

noobhero

Mar 17, 2010
final thoughts after re-applying second piece of JLG (air bubbles just doesn't want to go away after a week on the first piece)and after about 2 weeks of use.
initial feel was terrific! i can glide my finger across the screen "Just Like Glass"!
but, i think the oleo-phobic coating starts wearing off gradually.. now, prints are hard to wipe off and not to mention the feel.
another hard to accept issue are those rainbow waves.

this is totally my personal experience with the product.

Feb 14, 2013
Since this is my first post it is likely people will take it with less than a grain of salt. But I am gonna post a brief review anyways.
I have used Zagg, Zagg HD, Zagg Max, Just like glass and many other name brand screen protectors. Hands down, this protector is the smoothest and clearest, even more so than Zagg HD. I put about 25 screen protectors on in my life, for myself and others. I put the JLG on my Nexus 7 and iphone 4s. After 3 days the Just like glass has some bubbles left on my iphone 4s. I believe that these will go away. Like many others said, the edge doesnt seal perfectly, but you would have to pull and intentionally peel it off at this point. My nexus 7 on the other hand has many bubbles. They came after install. I used a credit card to smooth out all bubbles as best I could on my install of both devices. I send a few pictures to scott to see what he said. It has been only 3 days. I am not going to get worried until the week to week and a half mark. Anyways, great product. I hope the bubbles go away, but as far as clarity and feel go.. there is nothing better. Will be recommending your product to everyone. I'll just make sure I push a little harder and smooth more the next time I install.

SSHGuru

May 12, 2011
Since this is my first post it is likely people will take it with less than a grain of salt. But I am gonna post a brief review anyways.
I have used Zagg, Zagg HD, Zagg Max, Just like glass and many other name brand screen protectors. Hands down, this protector is the smoothest and clearest, even more so than Zagg HD. I put about 25 screen protectors on in my life, for myself and others. I put the JLG on my Nexus 7 and iphone 4s. After 3 days the Just like glass has some bubbles left on my iphone 4s. I believe that these will go away. Like many others said, the edge doesnt seal perfectly, but you would have to pull and intentionally peel it off at this point. My nexus 7 on the other hand has many bubbles. They came after install. I used a credit card to smooth out all bubbles as best I could on my install of both devices. I send a few pictures to scott to see what he said. It has been only 3 days. I am not going to get worried until the week to week and a half mark. Anyways, great product. I hope the bubbles go away, but as far as clarity and feel go.. there is nothing better. Will be recommending your product to everyone. I'll just make sure I push a little harder and smooth more the next time I install.

Thanks for the feedback! The S3 is the hardest to get the edges to look clear but they are still stuck. The Note II you can get everything to stick perfectly. Every phone is different. My wife has an iPhone 4 and I use it to test screen protectors - so I'm always taking the JLG off and putting another on. Bubbles and edges are usually not an issue but I've had dust particles.

I think we've emailed about this - you took some pictures.

I told customer service to send a new one to you.

Have you seen the installation video? http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2-QGBuJV_Go

Usually that amount of bubbles is due to not getting all of the moisture out. The key is literally to try to get every drop of liquid out and then let it dry - then you shouldn't get any bubbles at all afterwards.

We are designing packaging now that will have huge links to the video to make sure people know how to install them the best way.

Scott

SirLance99

Jan 21, 2011
Is there any of the white carbon fiber skins for the SIII like you have for the iPhone5? I like to have no case's on my phone because I like it as sleek as possible. Although, I do buy ton on battery doors of different styles to have some different looks. I would love to have just a simple white carbon fiber skin that fit perfectly over the OG battery door. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Feb 14, 2013
Yes I had a new nexus 7 skin sent to me. Great customer support.I now understand how important it is to get the bubbles out initially. other protectors will dry if you leave bubbles, these seem less forgiving. This is due to the material that allows the skin to feel even smoother than the zagg hd. I somehow managed to scratch my iphone 4s just like glass but its a good thing I had it on because these protectors are tough. Things like keys and finger nails wont scratch the just like glass, but when you do manage to scratch it, it had less repairing ability than softer screen protectors. All in all, for round two when I do my installed using more force and getting rid of more bubbles initially, I know this will be the best screen protector you can buy.

Reactions: SSHGuru

aquariuz23

Mar 3, 2011
Clifton, NJ
View attachment 1739007

This is after one week. All the bubbles still have not disappeared. I need to get more bubbles out initially next time.

Something must have gone wrong there. I was worried about that too at the beginning, but now after 4 days, they're all gone. This picture is from yesterday.

Now, a question, but does anyone else here using this protector have the same thing as you see in the picture? My screen protector seems to have this rainbow banding after it was applied to the screen. But everything is smooth and clean and nothing is wrong with it other than those banding. I contacted DBAcases about the it and got a reply from the CEO, and he said that the rainbow is completely normal since that is the UV protection for the protector to prevent it from yellowing and peeling. He also said it should only be visible with the screen off, but tbh, in brightly lit room or outdoors in bright sunlight, I can clearly see the banding even with the screen on, to the point that it is actually making it hard to see the screen clearly (except I have full brightness on). The only time I cannot see the banding at all is at night time when there is almost no light reflecting off it.

I wish they had mentioned this somewhere or explained that this is a normal thing to happen to their protector. Other than that, I quite like this protector. My only other pet peeve is that due to the curve of the glass on the phone, it made the sides of the protector harder to stick during application, so now the sides of the protector have gathered a considerable amount of lint and dust and looks "dirty" againts the white background of the phone.

EDIT: Apparently the rainbow banding issue has been previously mentioned many times here. Sorry for repeating the topic over again. But nonetheless, it would've been nice if there is some kind of notice or warning for buyers that the rainbow effect is a normal thing.

IMAG0004_zps1eb4d4e5.jpg

Last edited:

tmagritte

Oct 4, 2010
Now, a question, but does anyone else here using this protector have the same thing as you see in the picture? My screen protector seems to have this rainbow banding after it was applied to the screen. But everything is smooth and clean and nothing is wrong with it other than those banding. I contacted DBAcases about the it and got a reply from the CEO, and he said that the rainbow is completely normal since that is the UV protection for the protector to prevent it from yellowing and peeling. He also said it should only be visible with the screen off, but tbh, in brightly lit room or outdoors in bright sunlight, I can clearly see the banding even with the screen on, to the point that it is actually making it hard to see the screen clearly (except I have full brightness on). The only time I cannot see the banding at all is at night time when there is almost no light reflecting off it.

I wish they had mentioned this somewhere or explained that this is a normal thing to happen to their protector. Other than that, I quite like this protector. My only other pet peeve is that due to the curve of the glass on the phone, it made the sides of the protector harder to stick during application, so now the sides of the protector have gathered a considerable amount of lint and dust and looks "dirty" againts the white background of the phone.

EDIT: Apparently the rainbow banding issue has been previously mentioned many times here. Sorry for repeating the topic over again. But nonetheless, it would've been nice if there is some kind of notice or warning for buyers that the rainbow effect is a normal thing.

I don't know if it's "normal" but it's definitely not acceptable. I recently put one on mine (I'll post some pictures later when I have time) and have a number of issues but the color banding is probably the worst and if it's considered normal there's probably no point in buying or requesting a replacement. It's definitely not just visible with the phone off.

What I've found is its visibility is very dependent on the type of lighting. It's not visible with no external lighting and it's either not visible or only barely visible with natural or tungsten lighting. However, under fluorescent lighting (both CFL and traditional office fluorescent tubes) it's very noticeable. Even under mixed lighting it can be very visible if fluorescent is part of the mix. At my office I get a fair bit of natural light from the window but it's mixed with fluorescent light from the ceiling and the banding patterns are visible to the point of distraction. Under CFL lighting at home at night they practically obscure the display.

Reactions: aquariuz23

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Just Like Glass Screen Protectors

Hey all,

I'm not really new but I tend to post on other forums. I come here for the good stuff on rooting.

I'm the CEO of DBA Cases, Inc.

I did start the company, however I had several investors. After having an Original Droid, a Bionic, and a Galaxy Nexus I had a very good idea of what people liked.

Personally I hated screen protectors and was not going to sell one until we came up with this. I have it on my phone and love it. It protects against breaks as well - my photographer asked me why I went into making cases so I took the phone out of the case and it squirted out of my hand - hit the wall and then our tile floor. No damage at all to the phone but a very small micro scratch on the Just Like Glass Protector. It probably would have shattered. I've found that the most you can do is give it micro scratches - you can't feel them or see them with the screen on. That's what I got from the fall and it doesn't bother me at all.

I'd be happy to answer any questions you may have.

Scott
    has no one taken any photos of this on their phone yet?

Im having a bit of hard time with the 7 people who got the early demo cuts begging to get them, and then not saying much, or posting any photos up here for others to see.

These photos will help Scott out with sales, and i would have thought that recieving an early product would kind of get you to do something to help this amazing new product along.

i cant wait to get mine in, and i will be sure to post up MANY photos of the protector, as well as the various cases i ordered.
    The size our our company compared to ZAGG is like comparing an ant to an elephant.

ZAGG ships 50,000 orders a day, which doesn't include what they sell at Best Buy and Wal-Mart.

I can easily offer a screen protector that is the same quality as ZAGG. I can include three to a package and give a lifetime warranty. That's because the cost of that kind of protector is nothing.

Our protectors cost 20 times more to make compared to any other company in the business. There is a reason we are the only ones in the business that offer the type of protector we do.

They don't come from China, Japan or Korea - we have them made in the United States. They are ultra high end protectors.

If you bought a case for your phone does it have a lifetime warranty?

My company has a strict rule against selling cheap, inexpensive products. Our cases are made of higher quality materials than anyone else in the business including Otterbox.

At the same time my views on customer service is that it must be as good as the products we provide. Since we are a relatively new company we are figuring out much of this as we go.

So far the unofficial guidelines are that if you mess up an install we'll ship another for 50% off. If we send you a defective product we ask for a picture so you don't have to send it back, wait for an RMA process, and then get a new one. We send a replacement right away.

As far as damage to the protector while you are using it, the same policy that buying a case applies - it saved your screen or your device so be happy and buy a new one. Our protectors are break resistant. We have some video's on our site demonstrating it.

As others have said if you read though the thread I take care of all of the customer service myself and I'm very generous. The people on this thread have helped me size protectors, improve installation instructions, and given me a ton of valuable feedback. I regard anyone from XDA as a premium customer.

There will soon be a point where I cannot do all of the customer service. By then we should have official guidelines which will be posted to our site. They likely will be what I've described.

However I'll personally be here on the forums to handle all of the XDA related issues.

Scott
    Saran Wrap is a Zagg killer.
    Follow-up questions!

Anybody with a full-cut:

How is swiping from the edges? Do your fingers get caught on the screen protector?

Anybody with a DBA Thin Grip (DBATG)

How is swiping from the edges? That is, how high is the lip? Can you swipe readily every time or once in a while, you get caught by the case?

--

Also, what is the return policy? I imagine for screen protectors there isn't one once its been applied, but what about cases? I didn't find anything on the website.

I have been using mine for 3 days now and haven't had any issues at all. I have the ultra and the lip never gets in the way, so I'd assume the thin grip would be just as good if not better as far as the lip goes.

Is this the "full cut" I received today direct from dba's website? Waited for this new cut before I ordered; and avoided Amazon so as to not chance it and this is what I got. There is absolutely no edge of the glass protection.
    View attachment 1431551

The 2nd protector I got in my order of 2 units isn't even a pre-cut protector, just a sheet of the material cut like a sharp square?!
    View attachment 1431559

Not happy so far... Will be emailing Scott on these issues. Ordered on 10/21 received today.

The Armor Suit I have on my other S3 is a perfect edge-to-edge protector.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

All I can say is maybe you should read the information in this thread before ordering. I'm 100% happy with mine. I actually prefer not having edge to edge protection, that way there is zero chance of any case interfering or causing the edges to lift up. I guess you just can't satisfy all the people all the time, but it's really your responsibility to research before buying.