Can I unbrick my nook2 after write noogie.img directly to the NOOK2 istead of SD card

Search This thread

leewaye

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto
I made a big and foolish mistake and wrote noogie.img directly to the NOOK2 istead of SD card. So evereytime I boot the nook2, the screen shows 'rooted forever' even I remove the SD card. Because the windows doesn't recognize the nook2 in the usb mode, I cannot use roadkil's diskimage to write my bakcup image.
Maybe I'll buy a new one for my fault.:crying:

Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
Did you ever backup your /rom partition?

If you only wrote Noogie (~79 Megs) you may be alright.
That would trash the partition tables and the /boot partition but /rom, /factory and all the rest of the partitions should be ok.

Since it's booting ok with noogie right now, the thing to do is to do a full backup.
That way you can save the chance of recovering the /rom or /factory partition.

Reactions: leewaye

leewaye

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto
Did you ever backup your /rom partition?

If you only wrote Noogie (~79 Megs) you may be alright.
That would trash the partition tables and the /boot partition but /rom, /factory and all the rest of the partitions should be ok.

Since it's booting ok with noogie right now, the thing to do is to do a full backup.
That way you can save the chance of recovering the /rom or /factory partition.

Yes, I messed up the Noogie (~79 Megs) stuff as you said.
I used to restore my nook system using a file 'NOOK ROOT ROM v2.4.img'(1.82Gb). Could you instruct me how to unbrick it safely? Thanks alot.:good:

Last edited:

Renate

Recognized Contributor / Inactive Recognized Dev
You're not very clear.
Did this 'NOOK ROOT ROM v2.4.img' get saved directly from your Nook?

Nooks have unit-specific data on them, including serial number, MAC address and various security keys.
If you just clone somebody's info over you may cause problems for them or you.
That's why I asked if you had backed up your /rom partition. Did you?

So far, you might not have destroyed things too badly.
If you copy a ~1.9GB image that you got from somewhere else, then you will have lost forever the unit-specific data.
That's why I asked you to use noogie to copy what is left of the internal memory on your Nook to a safe place on your PC.

Reactions: leewaye

leewaye

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto
With the CWM and Touch-Formatter v2, I've done the following steps --- "Copy the zip onto the root directory of the sdcard you burned the CWM.(Don't extract them)
Insert the sdcard on your nook, and boot it.
On CWM select install zip from sdcard
Then select choose zip from sdcard
Select Alpha-FormatTouch-2.zip, click yes and wait till the process finishes.
Go back, eject the sd card, and click reboot.

But after reboot, the nook is stuck in 'Read Forever' sopt.
I have my original img file, but I don't know how to restore the image using DiskImage because there's something wrong with USB(maybe nook's system is messed up) and I CAN'T find the 1.82 drive.

speedman2202

May 16, 2012
Cairo
With the CWM and Touch-Formatter v2, I've done the following steps --- "Copy the zip onto the root directory of the sdcard you burned the CWM.(Don't extract them)
Insert the sdcard on your nook, and boot it.
On CWM select install zip from sdcard
Then select choose zip from sdcard
Select Alpha-FormatTouch-2.zip, click yes and wait till the process finishes.
Go back, eject the sd card, and click reboot.

But after reboot, the nook is stuck in 'Read Forever' sopt.
I have my original img file, but I don't know how to restore the image using DiskImage because there's something wrong with USB(maybe nook's system is messed up) and I CAN'T find the 1.82 drive.

the back up u got if it was before write noogie image to ur nook directory .. so u saved ur nook ..... i will repeat ... if u got back up from ur nook directly with (1.8 GB size almost) before u write noogie image on ur nook ... so u ok!!!
from that point follow my instructions to recover ur nook:
1- get sd card and write noogie image to it ( dont mess ur hard disk drive ... i do it once :p and i got recover all my HDD files :) )
2- insert the sd card that on nook and power on ur nook and rooted for ever logo will show as soon as u do ( if ur nook doesnt power on so far then plug ur nook in charger cuz need to charging)
3- connect ur nook to ur pc and will show as a SD card
4- download this program "Roadkil's disk image" (go google search and download)
5- install/open the program and u will see all partitions and all disks on ur pc ... let say u only connected 1 HDD with capacity 500GB then u will find that Disk 0 (500 GB) and Disk 1 (1.89 GB) and Disk 2 (removable) , then choose that disk "Disk 1 (1.89 GB) " and make sure disk size 1.89 GB
6- choose the image directory from ur pc and then Hit start

7-and after it finish ..... do safely remove and unplug the SD card from ur nook and power on ur nook and it should be working fine

but before do anything .... how u do backup for u nook and got this file .... if u read recovery/restory ur nook and read and know how u do recovery then proceed the steps i said to u .... but plz if there more details u want tell us , go a head before do anything

thx

Reactions: wozhere and leewaye

leewaye

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto
I've saved my nook.I wish to express my gratitude to speedman2202,wozhere and Renate NST for your immense practical help.:laugh:
To conclude the experience that I learn from unbricking my nook touch, there're 2 issues to mention:
1.In my first step,Nook can be formated to restore factory system With the CWM and Touch-Formatter v2.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1475613
2.In my case,after reboot, the nook is stuck in 'Read Forever' sopt and windows cannot recognize Nook USB drive.Do the following steps as speedman2202 directs
the back up u got if it was before write noogie image to ur nook directory .. so u saved ur nook ..... i will repeat ... if u got back up from ur nook directly with (1.8 GB size almost) before u write noogie image on ur nook ... so u ok!!!
from that point follow my instructions to recover ur nook:
1- get sd card and write noogie image to it ( dont mess ur hard disk drive ... i do it once :p and i got recover all my HDD files :) )
2- insert the sd card that on nook and power on ur nook and rooted for ever logo will show as soon as u do ( if ur nook doesnt power on so far then plug ur nook in charger cuz need to charging)
3- connect ur nook to ur pc and will show as a SD card
4- download this program "Roadkil's disk image" (go google search and download)
5- install/open the program and u will see all partitions and all disks on ur pc ... let say u only connected 1 HDD with capacity 500GB then u will find that Disk 0 (500 GB) and Disk 1 (1.89 GB) and Disk 2 (removable) , then choose that disk "Disk 1 (1.89 GB) " and make sure disk size 1.89 GB
6- choose the image directory from ur pc and then Hit start

7-and after it finish ..... do safely remove and unplug the SD card from ur nook and power on ur nook and it should be working fine

Everything shall be retored and the Sun will rise tomorrow again:p

another important thing to mention is that u can resore system with every correct IMG file as long as the model match. i actually write my system with a img file i download from another guy's img. Now my system is a android version in which i can install some apps.

Thanks guys again. Have a nice day!!:good:

Reactions: wozhere

speedman2202

May 16, 2012
Cairo
I've saved my nook.I wish to express my gratitude to speedman2202,wozhere and Renate NST for your immense practical help.:laugh:
To conclude the experience that I learn from unbricking my nook touch, there're 2 issues to mention:
1.In my first step,Nook can be formated to restore factory system With the CWM and Touch-Formatter v2.http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1475613
2.In my case,after reboot, the nook is stuck in 'Read Forever' sopt and windows cannot recognize Nook USB drive.Do the following steps as speedman2202 directs

Everything shall be retored and the Sun will rise tomorrow again:p

another important thing to mention is that u can resore system with every correct IMG file as long as the model match. i actually write my system with a img file i download from another guy's img. Now my system is a android version in which i can install some apps.

Thanks guys again. Have a nice day!!:good:

did u download nook image from website and write it to ur own nook??!!!

i hope not!!!! :\ , if u do ... ur wifi wont work .... just u can use ur nook as a e-reader only and no benefits to root :|

leewaye

Feb 3, 2014
Toronto
did u download nook image from website and write it to ur own nook??!!!

i hope not!!!! :\ , if u do ... ur wifi wont work .... just u can use ur nook as a e-reader only and no benefits to root :|

My wifi still works well except that my nook shop account is a issue. But I think I can solve it with my own .pmf file to restore my account info.

speedman2202

May 16, 2012
Cairo
My wifi still works well except that my nook shop account is a issue. But I think I can solve it with my own .pmf file to restore my account info.

if the image u downloaded and burn it to ur nook contain rom partition of the image publisher ... then when u try his image u now own another device details ( another serial number , Mac address and other changed details) .... so i think when u burn/write the image to ur nook ... it was successfully registered and no need to register again ......anyway the main issue that u have the same Mac address from other device and that may do conflict with u and for sure ..... try get ur own Unique nook device Rom files By Renate utility and thx to her she still keep on developing such these things

thats why i said " i hope not do that" cuz there is another ways for recover deleted/formatted partition

thx

UPDATE: try and check this utility by Renate .... it will help u
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2643687

I finished a utility for recovering files out of a saved Nook backup.
It should be able to recover the /rom partition even if you overwrote the first 79 Megs.
Is anybody interested in trying this?

ummm .... try publish beta test ... and lets see other user says about ur new utility ....and when it success .... publish a full thread about recover ur nook with/with out backup image

thx to Renate :)

best regards ^^

Last edited:

Ownerer

Jun 9, 2014

I tried all this methods but they are dont work for me. I havent got a working backup. I can create backups now, manage the particions etc... I think i need a backup file and i need to overwrite the root particion with my own stuff. :S Is this possible?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts