Switched from AT&T to Straight Talk!!!

Search This thread

gallogj

Aug 7, 2008
For those of you who don't like shelling out the gobs of cash to AT&T...I have the link for you!

http://www.straighttalksim.com/

I received my AT&T sim in the mail from Straight Talk along with the new APN information...and voila...I'm getting the same (if not faster) download speeds than I was with AT&T. Actually, I've been strangely getting more bars than I was w/AT&T. Not sure why...since it's the same network. Anyways...this transformed my bill from $130 per month to $45 per month for unlimited talk, text and web. I don't work for Walmart or anything...I just wanted to share some savings info with those who are interested! When they say on the website "cut your phone bill in half" they're not kidding! I wonder how Wally World can get away with sending AT&T roms...offer the same service...for half the cost? I dunno...but I'm not complaining!

Now...I doubt you'd get 4G speeds....but I've never truly had 4G speeds...so I'm not missing anything.

watt9493

Dec 27, 2010
Croydon, PA
Thinking about doing this just to activate the inspire I have laying around with a cracked screen. Its between this, and redpocket

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Ephemeralness

Apr 8, 2011
Steilacoom
www.unfoldingmyth.com
I did this last month. Best decision I ever made. The only catch I've found is that the data isn't really unlimited, it's a use it but don't abuse it policy. I believe they will throttle you if you hog too much.

What radio are you using? I think I need a new one, mine keeps switching between 3G and H.

mrrick

May 23, 2011
Ormond Beach FL.
Been thinking of doing the same thing as soon as my contract is up.. Any activation fees or anything like that? What'd they charge for the sim?

*signed

Reactions: cwhitney24

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
I have been using Straight Talk for 6months with a sim card from a Nokia E71. This is known as the old sim swap method. Works great roams and all. From everything I've researched this uses the AT&T postpaid network.

The new sim card program they have charges you $14.95 for the sim card, and they had free shipping. NO activation fees or anything else.

This is the best data speed I've gotten though it's not usually this good. I'm using the 12.56.60.25P_26.10.04.03_M radio

screenshot-1324301031895.jpg

Last edited:

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
Been thinking of doing this myself. But I have some worries. What happens when one day you decide to stream some video or audio and Straight Talk up and cancels your account? I would hate to lose a telephone number I have had for the last 12 years.

Reactions: cwhitney24

cwhitney24

Jun 12, 2011
Daphne, AL
Been thinking of doing this myself. But I have some worries. What happens when one day you decide to stream some video or audio and Straight Talk up and cancels your account? I would hate to lose a telephone number I have had for the last 12 years.

Good point. Also I average 9.6gbs with att now....who knows what straighttalk would say about that every month lmao

I got your 10 char right here

Rocking Abso bacon...ics style

Reactions: shadowlord256

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011

The word is if you keep it under 2gb a month and 170mb a day you should be good. Just use 3g watchdog and monitor it. I stream stuff all the time, just be aware of how much data you are using. I've had no problems though I've never exceeded the so called limits.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:47 PM ----------

Good point. Also I average 9.6gbs with att now....who knows what straighttalk would say about that every month lmao

WOW! That's a lot of data! I would think they will have to come up with some limits if they are going to cut off service because you are using too much so called "unlimited" data. Guess we'll have to wait and see once this thing gets going full bore. If you can keep your usage to 2gb a month and 170mb a day then this is a great deal! If not I wouldn't risk it at this point..

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
A few months ago another carrier said unlimited data was unlimited but they could make changes if they saw fit for the network. And everyone thought it meant nothing then. Straight Talk says no media streaming and only download from their network. They could turn on you tomorrow too. I see nothing in writing about 2GB.

cwhitney24

Jun 12, 2011
Daphne, AL
A few months ago another carrier said unlimited data was unlimited but they could make changes if they saw fit for the network. And everyone thought it meant nothing then. Straight Talk says no media streaming and only download from their network. They could turn on you tomorrow too. I see nothing in writing about 2GB.

Great point...ok ill be staying with "lovely" att

COfatboy

Dec 31, 2011
UR right nothing in writing about 2gb, but it has been good for me for the last 6 months. If you read the terms they say they can cut you off at anytime pretty much! You're right they could turn at any time. Guess it all depends on your situation, for me I'm willing to take the risk. lol

Mister J

Mar 6, 2011
gregsarg said:
I keep my friends close (straight talk ) and my enemies even closer (AT$T).
At least the beast is predictable ....
I'll watch this thread with great interest for a while ....
Thank you for the information ....g

You have a way with words my man

kimtyson

Oct 30, 2006
York, Pa
LeEco Le 2
I looked at Straightalk, too. Wish they had a pay as you go plan, rather than monthly, with similar discount. I like options. There are several of of these non-contract companies but not much chat about them. Thanks for starting the thread, op. I have also heard similar talk about the 2Gb. cap, so that poster didn't just make it up. It might not be in writting but it seems to be what the users are experiencing.

kraze1994

Sep 29, 2011
I have decided to go Verizion as soon as my contract is up, ATT sucks. No 4G network and I cannot even get service at my house.

Agoattamer

Jan 25, 2010
PA
I have decided to go Verizion as soon as my contract is up, ATT sucks. No 4G network and I cannot even get service at my house.

ATT sucks because they don't have phone service in your area? No phone carrier has service everywhere. You never should have stayed with ATT in the first place if you didn't have service. And ATT has a 4G network, at least as much as T-mobile does and as the FCC now defines it. They also have LTE which is faster than Verizon's LTE. And what does your post have to do with Straight Talk?

Reactions: scorpiopantera

cmoRe-_-

Feb 24, 2012
Beloit, WI
I too have been thinking of going to ST. I don't go over 5gb. I wonder if that is still to much for them. I don't like att as much as the next person but I do have good signal and do get 4G in my area. Has anyone found anything about the 2gb?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using XDA

brian1921

Jan 23, 2012
FL
Switching to ST

hi guys, just got htc inspire not long ago and flashed with Energy ROM yesterday, currently using t-mobile, switching to ST this monday!!!

TheShadowZero

Dec 28, 2011
flavors.me
I did this last month. Best decision I ever made. The only catch I've found is that the data isn't really unlimited, it's a use it but don't abuse it policy. I believe they will throttle you if you hog too much.

What radio are you using? I think I need a new one, mine keeps switching between 3G and H.

For the record, AT&T's is like that too. They throttle you if you're in the top 5% of data users.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I keep my friends close (straight talk ) and my enemies even closer (AT$T).
    At least the beast is predictable ....
    I'll watch this thread with great interest for a while ....
    Thank you for the information ....g
    For those of you who don't like shelling out the gobs of cash to AT&T...I have the link for you!

http://www.straighttalksim.com/

I received my AT&T sim in the mail from Straight Talk along with the new APN information...and voila...I'm getting the same (if not faster) download speeds than I was with AT&T. Actually, I've been strangely getting more bars than I was w/AT&T. Not sure why...since it's the same network. Anyways...this transformed my bill from $130 per month to $45 per month for unlimited talk, text and web. I don't work for Walmart or anything...I just wanted to share some savings info with those who are interested! When they say on the website "cut your phone bill in half" they're not kidding! I wonder how Wally World can get away with sending AT&T roms...offer the same service...for half the cost? I dunno...but I'm not complaining!

Now...I doubt you'd get 4G speeds....but I've never truly had 4G speeds...so I'm not missing anything.
    At first I thought this was interesting, then I read the terms of service. You can not stream music, video or anything else. You may not use it for getting your email from say your own company because that wouldn't go through their mobile web interface. You may not use the phone to call into conference calls because it can only be used to talk between two individuals in a person to person call. I would question how truly legal some of their limitations are but they hold the right to terminate the service at any time and keep all your money.

So in this case, definitely sticking with the evil I know.
    Been thinking of doing the same thing as soon as my contract is up.. Any activation fees or anything like that? What'd they charge for the sim?

*signed

you're absolutely right, it isn't in writing. what IS in writing is vague to say the least. That being said, I have ST and have experienced the data cut off first hand. While I was on a cross country road trip no less... They didn't cut me off right at 2GB, but it was shortly after.

To the poster who was saying they wouldn't want to lose their 12 year old number, they don't cancel your account entirely right off the bat, and for that matter I doubt they would. They just cut off your data. so no emails, no youtube, no xda (the agony!!!), and no MMS. but you can still make/receive phone calls and send texts.

To the other poster who mentioned all the things you can't do... well... thats what it says. they don't hold anyone to that though. I had my email app set up for my gmail account. surfed the web all the time, watched youtube occasionally, even tethered (thats what killed me in the end lol).

Everybody keep in mind that I did this months ago using the E71 sim swap. Kept my data usage in check until just before I moved cross country.

IN THE EVENT THEY CUT OFF YOUR DATA, all you have to do is call, answer some BS questions and they'll turn it back on with a warning to you.

Again, this experience is with the E71 swap. with the sim card coming in to play now, I have no idea how they'll work it. I suppose someone is gonna have to be the test subject... If I had the spare cash I would do it... but i dont... so I cant lol.

Anyone who cares about data speeds, it seems that their network access only utilizes the 3.5g capabilities. I have a 4G phone, and while it does say i'm on that network, the best speeds i've seen so far were in the 4mb/s range. 1.5mb/s up. And this is in Phoenix, AZ. Things may change and YMMV