[Q] Which files should i keep in the "sd"??

Search This thread

ps.christos

Mar 12, 2012
My phones memory is almost full and i would like to delete everything from the virtual sd. But as far as i saw there are some strange files like "ADebugPath" or "Recovery-Tools", so i am a bit afraid of deleting everything.

I have s-off and rooted the phone because i wanted to flash cm11. So by deleting all the files from virtual sd i am afraid of deleting files that might affect adb or s-off. Is it going to be helpfull to send a print-screen of my files?

An other thought is that usually this type of files shouldn't be visible on sd but only on the root of the phone but i want to be 100% sure before doing anything.

Thanks a lot.

redpoint73

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Oct 24, 2007
Nothing on the SD affects s-off, and pretty sure the same goes with adb. I don't know what that file is "ADebugPath", but I don't believe I have it and adb works fine.

In fact, there are folks on here that regularly format their SD (for instance, when they flash new ROMs) which if of course not mandatory, but just to "clean up shop".

The only things I would suggest you should keep on the SD are Titanium Backup files, and a known good nandroid. And possibly files for any apps (such as games). Other than that, everything can pretty much go.

You can always copy files to your computer before deleting them from the SD, in case you think you might want them later.

Reactions: ps.christos

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Shouldn't he mount via recovery and format? I was told that's the best way to format these integrated SD cards.

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Shouldn't he mount via recovery and format? I was told that's the best way to format these integrated SD cards.

You mean format using a computer, versus wipe in TWRP? I don't know if it would make much difference.

Or do you mean format, versus manually deleting selected files? I would guess from a technical standpoint a format is going to be better, to reduce fragments, etc. But the data is not written and read from the SD all that often (its not like its the OS memory), so in real world terms, I don't think it would make much difference.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I mean "mount USB storage" via recovery right click on it on PC and chose format

ps.christos

Mar 12, 2012
Nothing on the SD affects s-off, and pretty sure the same goes with adb. I don't know what that file is "ADebugPath", but I don't believe I have it and adb works fine.

In fact, there are folks on here that regularly format their SD (for instance, when they flash new ROMs) which if of course not mandatory, but just to "clean up shop".

The only things I would suggest you should keep on the SD are Titanium Backup files, and a known good nandroid. And possibly files for any apps (such as games). Other than that, everything can pretty much go.

You can always copy files to your computer before deleting them from the SD, in case you think you might want them later.

I have already done a backup and copy everything to my pc (just in case) so i will format the sd card and after that i will put back for sure the backup and the titanium backup file. Thanks for you help i will let you know when i do the "cleaning" on my phone.

One more thing i changed the battery to a new one (of htc one x+) so do you know any programme that can test the mah just to check it is correctly recognized?

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
I wouldn't reinstall apps using TB. But that's your choice. I've run into nothing but probs using TB,but that could be just me

Heisenberg

Retired Forum Moderator
Jun 29, 2011
Knocking on your door
OnePlus 9 Pro
It's just you. Thousands of people, including me, have been using Titanium to backup and restore apps for years, that's why it's the single most popular and most used backup app for Android. If you're having problems with it, you're doing something wrong.

Sent from my Evita

Reactions: chrisb906

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Maybe my reasonings are cuz of all the system apps I restored.

Last edited:

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
I wouldn't reinstall apps using TB. But that's your choice. I've run into nothing but probs using TB,but that could be just me

I've restored apps and app data with Titanium countless times (every time I flash a ROM) on this device with no issue. Its migrating system data with Titanium that usually causes problems.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
That is what I did. But I learned not to anymore. But I still don't use TB.

redpoint73

Oct 24, 2007
Maybe my reasonings are cuz of all the bad flashing

Unless you have a definitive reason to blame Titanium, don't blame Titanium.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Its a well known issue that using Titanium to migrate system data does not work well. This is no surprise. You are trying to migrate OS specific data between different OS's, so obviously its not going to go well.

Titanium works perfectly to migrate apps and app data. If you want to make you life harder for no good reason, feel free. But others are going to be fine using the app properly.

chrisb906

Jan 4, 2013
Yea. Thanks. This was when I first started flashing Roms and modifying my device. But I learned

ps.christos

Mar 12, 2012
I did the format at the sd card throught the computer and i tried to flash the newest version of cm11 but i got an error.
So the format was ok and i deleted a lot of files without a problem. Does anyone know why i get this error. I had it one more before. After that i haven't manage to update the nightly! I tried to google it and i saw something strange like you have to go for an older version of your recovery!
So i decide to go for the PhilZ Touch as far i have read it is the best for cm11. But i still have the some error:
"E:Error executing updater binary in zip '/sdcard/cmupdater/cm-11-20140507-NIGHTLY-evita.zip'
Error flashing zip '/sdcard/cmupdater/cm-11-20140507-NIGHTLY-evita.zip'"

Any ideas why i get this error??
Thanks a lot.

ps.christos

Mar 12, 2012
If you read in the CM thread it says you need the latest TWRP recovery to flash the latest nightly.

Sent from my Evita

As far as I read cm11 does not need any special recovery:
"Installation Instructions (These are all required)

S-Off your device (Do this before RUU'ing and it will not wipe your /sdcard).
Update to 3.18 RUU or later.
Flash a custom recovery (TWRP/CWM with SELinux capabilities).
Download latest nightly from http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=evita.
Locate 4.4 Gapps via a quick Google search.
Wipe factory/data reset in recovery before installing CM11.0 (unless you are already on a CM11.0 build).
Reboot into recovery and install nightly and gapps.
can not flash if you have an old recovery but i saw that."

Ok but through reading, old version of CWM is fine. As far i have seen PhilZ Touch is the best CWM, most advanced and best choice for recovery (for cm11). That is what i use now....
Furthermore, before that i was using the unofficial recovery twrp-2.6.3.0 4.4. The latest one (until yesterday).
Can you please tell me where exactly did you see the thing about latest recovery??
So, i have to go for the "TWRP 2.7.0.8 Unofficial"????
Because to be honest i thought it is something else.... :/

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Maybe my reasonings are cuz of all the bad flashing

Unless you have a definitive reason to blame Titanium, don't blame Titanium.

---------- Post added at 07:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

Its a well known issue that using Titanium to migrate system data does not work well. This is no surprise. You are trying to migrate OS specific data between different OS's, so obviously its not going to go well.

Titanium works perfectly to migrate apps and app data. If you want to make you life harder for no good reason, feel free. But others are going to be fine using the app properly.

You mean format using a computer, versus wipe in TWRP? I don't know if it would make much difference.

Or do you mean format, versus manually deleting selected files? I would guess from a technical standpoint a format is going to be better, to reduce fragments, etc. But the data is not written and read from the SD all that often (its not like its the OS memory), so in real world terms, I don't think it would make much difference.
    It's just you. Thousands of people, including me, have been using Titanium to backup and restore apps for years, that's why it's the single most popular and most used backup app for Android. If you're having problems with it, you're doing something wrong.

Sent from my Evita

I've restored apps and app data with Titanium countless times (every time I flash a ROM) on this device with no issue. Its migrating system data with Titanium that usually causes problems.