"Internet connection is unstable" issue

Search This thread

hunter186

Oct 10, 2012
OK, I've seen a lot of posts in various forums about this issue, but have yet to find a single thread that captures all the details about what I've experienced. Let me know if I should move this conversation into a different thread.

On my home wifi network, I am able to connect, but constantly receive the error "internet connection is unstable", and I cannot pull any data over wifi. I noticed this issue on my home network after returning from a business trip this week. I'd previously seen the issue occasionally in hotels, etc, and had already disabled the "Passpoint" and "Auto network switch settings". That seemed to work on the road, but now that I'm at home, I'm unable to pull any data over wifi.

My home router is a TP-Link Archer C7, running the latest firmware.

Per Verizon and Samsung's advice, I cleared the cache partition, "forgot" and reconnected to the network, tried using safe mode, and tried a factory reset of the phone. I also restarted the router and changed the router's broadcast channels.

Last night, I rooted the phone via Kingo and installed the Jelly 'Beans' rom using SafeStrap, since I wasn't getting satisfactory answers from support. To my surprise, the issue also occurred on the new rom. I'm not an Android expert, but it seems like this means its either:

1) a hardware issue, or
2) a lower-level software issue (radio firmware? not sure how that works)

I removed root and safestrap, to continue support options with Verizon, but I wanted to ping the community here for suggestions. The timing is confusing to me. I'm pretty sure, though not certain, that I've used my home network successfully since the 12/17 OTA update. However, since so many others are seeing issues, it seems unlikely that this is a hardware issue.

Could others describe their issues and router, so we can look for patterns? Let me know if I should move this into a different thread.

Thanks!

shawnten

Mar 21, 2008
Yorktown
Mine does the same thing from time to time but only on certain roms

Sent from my SM-N900V using XDA Premium HD app

hunter186

Oct 10, 2012
yeah, I'd seen intermittent issues previously, but all of a sudden it stopped working at home entirely. Still connects to some other networks, although not all.

After seeing a bunch of posts on the Verizon forums (and just the general timing and behavior of the issue) it seemed like a software problem.

Verizon is actually cooperating, so I may just end up replacing this phone. Wondering if anyone else has seen wifi completely break like this.

darkhawkff

Sep 22, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I have a Zyxel WAP3205 WIFI access point (Wireless G) that I use at both work and at home.

At home, I have Comcast Business Cable internet, and have absolutely no issues connecting to it. The WAP is connected to a Belkin N600 router, which is then connected to my cable modem (not sure of the model, shouldn't matter TBQH).

At work on the other hand, I have constant connection issues. Albeit, I don't get the 'connection is unstable' notification, but I get constant connect/disconnect problems. I also have almost no (most of the time I can't even send/receive text messages at my desk.....) phone signal (ie not even 1X). I'm not sure if that plays into it at all either. The company I work for uses Windstream for their ISP, and it's complete crap to be perfectly honest. Needless to say, it doesn't change the fact that I'm connecting to the internet through the same device (well, same model/firmware/etc...), and I'm having issues at 1 place and not at the other.

I might also add that my tablet (Nexus 7 2013 running CM11) doesn't seem to have these issues at all and works just fine via the WIFI.

That's about the only information that I can provide. I know my internet where I work is complete crap. I sometimes remote desktop back to my home server to browse the web and download files via that because it's actually faster. I'm not even kidding.

saltsnake1

Dec 29, 2013
I have 2 routers at home and have experienced the same issue as well and none of my other devices have this problem

Sent from Rooted Note 3 (stock rom) Xposed framework

hunter186

Oct 10, 2012
Verizon is shipping a replacement phone to me tomorrow, so I'll test this out and see if it makes a difference. I'm on the road until Thursday, so it'll be a few days before I can check on my home router.

The behavior on this issue just seems strange. It began intermittently, but then completely stopped working at my house (but still sometimes works elsewhere). Lots of people report intermittent issues, but a few seem completely broken. Not sure what to make of it, I'm just glad I was able to get a different device out of Verizon. We'll see if that actually fixes the problem.

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
I haven't had this notification until I got the Note3. Is it possible that its android 4.3? Or this tw 4.3? Anybody know if other folks get this with other devices?

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2010
I haven't had this notification until I got the Note3. Is it possible that its android 4.3? Or this tw 4.3? Anybody know if other folks get this with other devices?

I only have this problem if I connect to the wifi at work, which is odd because I'm about 7 unobstructed feet away from the AP. I don't get this anywhere else.

I had a Note2 on stock rom up to 4.3 and never had the issue. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 latest version, again, no problem. It's only on my Note3 with stock rom that this happens.

Harleydroid

Jul 18, 2013
The Fort
I only have this problem if I connect to the wifi at work, which is odd because I'm about 7 unobstructed feet away from the AP. I don't get this anywhere else.

I had a Note2 on stock rom up to 4.3 and never had the issue. I have a 2012 Nexus 7 latest version, again, no problem. It's only on my Note3 with stock rom that this happens.

It happens on custom roms too.
I've asked a couple devs if they could remove it and they said it been like that in android for along time.But I never experienced it until my Note 3

tdetroit

Sep 17, 2008
Detroit, MI

Same here. Never happened on my Note2 but happens all the time on my Note3. I have two Linksys Routers at home for full house coverage and I can be in the next room and get that message. Just got it earlier. Same routers as I had with the N2 a few months ago. My Tablet, nor the Spouses HTC One Max have that issue and are connecting just fine, and stay connected.

bajasur

Retired Forum Moderator
Sep 19, 2012
San Clemente
I get this all the time. Got it on stock as well. Only really happens with my ghetto satellite Internet though lol

Sent from my SM-N900V using xda app-developers app

TheKip

Apr 7, 2010
Has anyone with this issue installed AdBlock and/or an ad-blocking HOSTS file? I didn't start seeing this problem until I did both.

Whenever I see this message I can go into the speedtest.net app and pull a continuous 60mbits down, pretty much maxing my connection, and I never see any actual stability issues.

I think the system may have some connectivity test that's being interfered with but I haven't had time to go digging through the logs yet, so I wanted to see if anyone else had done what I did to trigger it first.

b00mb00mchuck

Jul 16, 2012
Right here... Right now
Seems to be two different issues being discussed here without really differentiating the two... the OP states that he is always getting the notification and "can't pull any data over wifi" ... others are saying they are getting the notification without really stating if it is affecting their overall wifi performance at all.

I'm on AT&T DSL... I was getting the notification ALL THE TIME while using the supplied (4 year old) AT&T 2Wire router and it would fail and freeze and disconnect and it was DRIVING ME NUTS... so i went out and got a brand new Netgear N300 router and problem is solved ... mostly

I'm still using the AT&T 2Wire as a modem... disabled it's internal wifi... ethernet cable to the Netgear. .. and BINGO!!! All my connection problems and data problems have gone away... i still get the unstable notification maybe once or twice a week but i figure that's a DSL thing... any little glitches in Internet availability will be detected by the device and displayed so that doesn't bother me at all.

It's almost like this phone does ping tests all the time and if one doesn't come back properly it throws the notification...

i was at a friends house the other day and was getting the notification constantly but was still able to watch YouTube videos and Netflix without much problem... so i did some speed tests on his wifi and his ping and upload were all over the place... His download speed was solid between 20 and 28 but his upload was never even close to normal and failed several times... and his ping was good on some and took forever on others... i also noticed Web pages would sometimes take forever to start loading ... Once they started loading they did so quickly but the start was painfully slow a lot of the time... This would indicate to me that the ping or upload connection has issues or maybe over congested on his iSP.

Anyway... hope this helps others iron things out

Last edited:
Dec 20, 2010
Seems to be two different issues being discussed here without really differentiating the two... the OP states that he is always getting the notification and "can't pull any data over wifi" ... others are saying they are getting the notification without really stating if it is affecting their overall wifi performance at all.

When I get the notification, it refuses to use the wifi at all.

radionerd

Dec 14, 2013
Ukiah
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4 XL
I haven't noticed any problems with my WiFi. I host 6 wireless networks, and play with WiFi a lot, War driving, and wireless network setup is a hobby of mine.

One thing I noticed at several throttled Hot Spots My VZW note 3 would test the WiFi speed, if it was slower than 4G it would display a popup, something to the effect "Wireless too slow, using mobile Data" I can't remember the exact popup text. It might be a VZW thing.

I use the OOKLA speedtest, free from the play store. (After you run your OOKLA test, for fun drag the speedometer down to reveal some cool messages about Ookla! :)

A few wireless router settings I use:
Set 2.4 to N 20 Megs max. N 40 or AC mostly just creates problems with connections, and the neighborhood.
Channels 1, 6, or 11 in USA Use a WiFi analyzer app and pick a less cluttered WiFi channel.
Place wireless router up high away from electronics, construction, and stuffs. Mine is on a pedestal in a window.

SM-N900V DE Running JellyBeans V6

Last edited:

b00mb00mchuck

Jul 16, 2012
Right here... Right now
One thing I noticed at several throttled Hot Spots My VZW note 3 would test the WiFi speed, if it was slower than 4G it would display a popup, something to the effect "Wireless too slow, using mobile Data" I can't remember the exact popup text. It might be a VZW thing.

Go to WiFi settings/advanced/auto network switch... and turn that off so it won't jump off slow WiFi networks

radionerd

Dec 14, 2013
Ukiah
Google Pixel 3
Google Pixel 4 XL
Go to WiFi settings/advanced/auto network switch... and turn that off so it won't jump off slow WiFi networks

Thanks,
I just tested "auto network switch" on and then off. It let me connect to one of my throttled networks, without; "Checking quality of internet connection".

I noticed that it only showed; "network disabled because internet connection is slow" on the congested 2.4 GHz band, not with same router on 5.8 GHz.

Radio interference, location, and router settings, can cause many problems on wireless networks.

hunter186

Oct 10, 2012

You're right, I noticed in my research that multiple issues seem to be getting lumped together. I think you're correct in that it's related to the router as well, somehow. I see the notification occasionally on slow hotel connections, but it's intermittent, my problem at home seems permanent. I can use some other wifi networks without problems, though.

That said, I used this phone on my home router for a couple months before ever seeing this problem. I'm guessing it's a combination of the 12/17 OTA update, and particular router models.

Verizon sent me a replacement phone, and it's running the previous build (MJ7 instead of MJE). I'll check things out tonight, and will report back.

hunter186

Oct 10, 2012
Alright, the issue seems resolved on the new phone. This seems to suggest that it is related to the MJE build. So far this phone hasn't asked for an update, but I'm hoping Verizon doesn't break this again for me :)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would love an xposed module to disable this. I connect via wifi to my canon eos camera and this notification always comes up. I disabled the network switch as mentioned above but an xposed module to disable this dysfunctionality altogether would be amazing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk