Search This thread

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
Hi,

that's a new feature in cwmr6.
And a very nice one indeed :)

Incremental backups also was a long due feature request and I will add a feature like that with next gen 4ext.

However please be aware that it's not 20mb per backup as mentioned on many sites.
To give any numbers is nonsense, because it solely depends on what you are doing with your device.

It could be 20mb, but it might only be 5mb or even several 100mbs.
All depends on how much mb of your data have been changed/added since your last backup.
If you store additional 100mb and then make an incremental backup, of course your new backup would be at least 100mb + any other added data.
The new data need to go somewhere afterall ;)
They just don't get copied x times for x backups, but only once.. which is why this is also a little more dangerous:

You shouldn't do just incremental backups only. In order to restore such a backup, all previous backups they built upon must be "healthy" in order to be able to do a proper, full restore. Otherwise a complete restore won't be possible.
Ever had an md5sum mismatch? Especially when your backups are stored on the flaky fat32 file system and on external sdcards, there is a realistic chance that data corruption can happen which then can render your backups useless.
Since data are only stored on the sdcard once, the risk is higher.

So incremental and also differential backups are very nice, but they also have a drawback: data safety is reduced.

I'm still thinking about what would be a good implementation for 4ext recovery.
Differential or incremental backups and how to do it.
I think cwmr6 does cumulative backups since dedupe is mentioned, but I've yet to check.

I'm posting all this because I'd like to know:

Would it be important to you to be able to restore to a previous state inside an incremental backup series?
Or would it be enough to only be able to restore the very last one in a series only?

Say, you start out with your 1st backup on Monday and then add incremental backups on Wednesday, Friday and Sunday.
Would it be important to you to not just be able to restore to the last (Sundays) state, but alternatively to the Fridays, Wednesdays or Mondays?
The drawback of being able to restore to previous states in such series of backups is that a bit more space is needed for a backup series and more work in developing that :)

Me personally, I think being able to restore to the last in a series of backups would be best, but let me say it like this.. if it were like windows system restore, and you are trying to find the last date that you didn't have issues, that may be best. But I suppose the initial backup state would be preserved, no?
The way I can see myself using it, I do the original backup when everything is stable, before flashing something new. If what I am trying to flash doesn't work, I revert.. and I may try again in a few days, which means I do a whole new backup rather than backup all the texts, calls, and other ways I have modified the data. If the changes you're looking into would have be covered, I will definitely buy the app(again!)!

madmaxx82

Retired Recognized Developer
Jan 17, 2010
www.4ext.net
Me personally, I think being able to restore to the last in a series of backups would be best, but let me say it like this.. if it were like windows system restore, and you are trying to find the last date that you didn't have issues, that may be best. But I suppose the initial backup state would be preserved, no?
The way I can see myself using it, I do the original backup when everything is stable, before flashing something new. If what I am trying to flash doesn't work, I revert.. and I may try again in a few days, which means I do a whole new backup rather than backup all the texts, calls, and other ways I have modified the data. If the changes you're looking into would have be covered, I will definitely buy the app(again!)!

Thanks!

Well the changes that are going to happen are far, far bigger than simply adding a new type of backup or even the jump from 4ext recovery classic to touch.
Now I have put between 300-400 hours into the new generation and there will be at least 150 additional ones necessarry.

I'll try if I can add that to the initial release, although I'm already way overdue :/

andy55

Sep 10, 2009

I agree, I think you'd only need your last backup to restore from, when I do a backup I know for the most part everything is working how it should, so I'd have everything I'd need to make the phone functional again. Besides, when I load a rom, first thing I do is set it to how I want it, load all my apps/restore from titanium, load contacts, etc. and from then on, anything that happens I don't care much for. Things like texts I don't keep, rarely, and I mean maybe 1 in 200 I refer back to, so that doesen't matter for me.

Besides, when I have a couple backups, I tend to either delete older ones, or throw them on my laptop as a just in case backup, and its easy, one file, you have all your settings. If you have a different rom, throw in on your card and you can swap whenever easily. I think for people that have a few roms set up and switch every now and then, the one file is as simple as you can get. File size isn't a concern for me.

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I agree, I think you'd only need your last backup to restore from, when I do a backup I know for the most part everything is working how it should, so I'd have everything I'd need to make the phone functional again. Besides, when I load a rom, first thing I do is set it to how I want it, load all my apps/restore from titanium, load contacts, etc. and from then on, anything that happens I don't care much for. Things like texts I don't keep, rarely, and I mean maybe 1 in 200 I refer back to, so that doesen't matter for me.

Besides, when I have a couple backups, I tend to either delete older ones, or throw them on my laptop as a just in case backup, and its easy, one file, you have all your settings. If you have a different rom, throw in on your card and you can swap whenever easily. I think for people that have a few roms set up and switch every now and then, the one file is as simple as you can get. File size isn't a concern for me.

I do the same, throw old backups on my laptop.. but I still usually have several backups, several gigs worth. The article was interesting to me since there are these devices coming out without expandable storage - if/when I get a nexus 7, with the limited space it has, I will want a better backup solution, and backups like he is talking about would be the solution, and a welcome one on any device.
It would be much easier and QUICKER to backup whatever has changed since my last backup, and since I'm always flashing stuff(and almost always wanting things the way I had them in case things go wrong), this would be a HUGE improvement for me.

I am curious now what other changes he has going on.. max, do you have a list somewhere of what's to come?

oryan_dunn

Dec 23, 2010
Any idea where the source code is for this? I can't seem to find a link or git repo for this (or for any recoveries, clockwork, etc.). I'd have to assume this is all open source code, but google hasn't been friendly on this one.

Migwickert

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa
I used this recovery to backup and restore. When I tried recently, my backup wasn't found? I had to restore a previous backup from months ago. Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using Tapatalk 2

KnowledgeBroker

Sep 7, 2010
Daytona Beach, Fl
Samsung Galaxy S8+
I used this recovery to backup and restore. When I tried recently, my backup wasn't found? I had to restore a previous backup from months ago. Any ideas? Has anyone else experienced this? Thanks

this likely has nothing to do with the recovery, it won't delete backups.. look into whatever else you do with your phone, namely any file explorer apps. Again, doubt it has to do with recovery.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda app-developers app

Reactions: Migwickert

Migwickert

Jan 4, 2010
Tulsa
this likely has nothing to do with the recovery, it won't delete backups.. look into whatever else you do with your phone, namely any file explorer apps. Again, doubt it has to do with recovery.

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G using xda app-developers app

Okay, es file explorer and root explorer are installed on my device. So there could be potential issues with either of these two? Interesting. Thx.

G

glacierguy

Okay, es file explorer and root explorer are installed on my device. So there could be potential issues with either of these two? Interesting. Thx.

When u delete things you're not supposed to... yes.

You're the only one reporting this issue... probably user error

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

Double0EK

May 13, 2010
There are also 2 locations that your backup could be saved at. On Internal sdcard and ext_sd (external sdcard) you should check them both to see if they are in any of those 2 locations.

Reactions: Migwickert

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    sooo stoked this finally got an official release, I was feeling bad that you guys had to wait for it... glad I was able to contribute a little to the testing process, also threw a donation in Madmaxx's direction, he totally deserves it... I will probably start donating pretty regularly to him, his work is some of the finest available for android phones... the devices he supports will definitely influence the devices I purchase!:D

edit: I would also strongly urge anyone that can to do the same (donate)...
    Here's my link to the recovery.img. The newest stable

https://www.box.com/s/mp4v31quljfvdlmy945z

Sent from my HTC_Amaze_4G...Go Canes []_[]
    Hi Amaze users,

Just to bump the thread, as a new version of 4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.6 RC1 is now available as of 31/12/2013 and all finally packaged up early morning 01/01/2014 so thanks for this at New Years!

To get your hands on the recovery.img, download 4EXT_Recovery_Touch_v1.0.0.6_RC1.zip using the 4EXT Apps.

The Free 4EXT Recovery Updater v2.4.6b App.
    Or the Paid 4EXT Recovery Control App.

Version v1.0.0.6 RC1 is required for the Android 4.4 KitKat ROMs and GAPPs.

Here is the changelog for 4EXT Recovery Touch v1.0.0.6 RC1.
    - Based on the rock solid v1.0.0.5 RC9
    - Added support for SELinux needed by some Android 4.4 roms.

Big thanks to the following testers:
    Papete, Dtr204, CChako, and Kingmook!

Hope the above helps!

Happy Testing,

Rob.
    Also, if you are new and using this, and you are "S-ON"... MAKE SURE YOU HAVE "SMART-FLASH" ENABLED IN THE SETTINGS!! if not then we will end up with about the 500th thread titled "amaze 4g stuck at boot logo, please help!!!" Or "flashed x.x.x Rom and now phone just stays at HTC screen" because of course you won't search first :D

sent from my
    NRGized amaze