[Tool] Which IDE do you prefer? Eclipse, Android Studio or something else?

Search This thread

andreait15

Apr 28, 2014
Hello,

I have built my first Android app using Eclipse and I think it was pretty quick and helpful in many ways.
After the first project, my colleague asked me to switch to Android Studio, but my question is: is it better than Eclipse? Which one do you prefer?

Thank you all in advance,

Andrea

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
Android Studio is "The Way Forward" but still has lots of problems, and runs slow for me.

I'm just trying Studio now with a new app I'm working on. NDK integration isn't good (but better than 2013).

I don't even use Eclipse anymore, just ant etc scripts on command line and default linux GUI editor (Pluma) for editing.

But I'm trying to learn Studio because I think Google will let Eclipse support rot once Studio is officially supported. AND I'm trying to find ways to make myself more efficient. I haven't used IDEs in over 25 years (Turbo C), LOL, but it was fun back then...

Here again, Google is moving from open source stuff (Eclipse) to proprietary Android specially designed and built stuff (Studio). That has good and bad, and I'll just "go with the flow"...

Android Studio is "The Way Forward" but still has lots of problems, and runs slow for me.

I'm just trying Studio now with a new app I'm working on. NDK integration isn't good (but better than 2013).

I don't even use Eclipse anymore, just ant etc scripts on command line and default linux GUI editor (Pluma) for editing.

But I'm trying to learn Studio because I think Google will let Eclipse support rot once Studio is officially supported. AND I'm trying to find ways to make myself more efficient. I haven't used IDEs in over 25 years (Turbo C), LOL, but it was fun back then...

Here again, Google is moving from open source stuff (Eclipse) to proprietary Android specially designed and built stuff (Studio). That has good and bad, and I'll just "go with the flow"...

Eclipse is the best right now.

Google Studio may be in the future.

I really hope Google starts stepping up and helping developers out. Xcode for iOS is really nice to work with when devloping for iOS. It would be nice if Google put that same effort into helping devs build for Android.

Reactions: Gagan3019

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
I really hope Google starts stepping up and helping developers out. Xcode for iOS is really nice to work with when devloping for iOS. It would be nice if Google put that same effort into helping devs build for Android.

Why would they change to being more dev friendly ?

Why would they spend more money on "expenses" when Android is #1 in terms of penetration ?

I'd be happy to see it, but I don't see them changing, and I highly suspect their team of bean counter accountants continue to conclude their profits are best when their development teams are small.

I've been researching/learning everything I can about audio on Android. It's a big mess, though it works, more or less, as in "good enough". But high performance, low latency audio such as IOS has is extremely difficult, hardware/OEM HAL/kernel driver dependent, and effectively impossible to do without at least occasional glitches on many leading devices.

These audio issues have existed for years, along with MANY others. The Android issue tracker is full of such issues. Some improvements have been made, but it's never enough.

Low level stuff like audio is where Android really falls down. The Google perspective seems to be the user perspective, which is closer to higher level Java stuff and farther away from the nuts and bolts of kernels, HALs, C and assembly language. Most of this is left to the OEMs to figure out and many take major shortcuts to reduce time to market.

matt68000

Jun 29, 2012
Hello,

I have built my first Android app using Eclipse and I think it was pretty quick and helpful in many ways.
After the first project, my colleague asked me to switch to Android Studio, but my question is: is it better than Eclipse? Which one do you prefer?

Andrea

I'm also interested in what folks are using. I whipped up a poll this morning and posted it on Reddit/r/Android but this seems much more appropriate.

Here is the Poll
And the results so far Results

andreait15

Apr 28, 2014
I'm also interested in what folks are using. I whipped up a poll this morning and posted it on Reddit/r/Android but this seems much more appropriate.

Here is the Poll

wow, these results make me only more confused.
Right now I'm using Android Studio too, and in some ways is better, especially the design views on the right side of the code, but adding libraries was a slowly death inside!!!

Reactions: matt68000
esoloyu nefs

As along time eclipse user (more then 10 years) I tried out intellij a few month ago and I will never go back. IntellliJ is just the better ide :)

Well and now since I am using gradle I switched to android studio. Its like intelliJ with more android power :)

andras_k

May 13, 2014
Santiago de Chile, Chile

Here is the Poll
And the results so far

Great idea! As of now, it looks like the distribution of Android Studio and Eclipse w/ ADT goes head-by-head.

As for me, I prefer Android Studio. The layout previews and the built-in gradle support are the most important advantages for me. And of course the Darcula theme is also a huge plus :p

Booink

Jul 28, 2010
Still sticking with Eclipse. Android Studio has more fancy features, but we're hand coding all the XML's or dynamically creating views anyway, so while a better UI editor works for smaller apps, it's not much help for a complex one.

That and redeploying / releasing is easier (for me anyway) with Eclipse, I've heard too many issues with Gradle to make the switch yet with commercial apps. People still complain about compile time, but with DexGuard packing stuff, it's < 10s between clicking "Run" and having it on the phone, not bad for an 6MB .apk full of code.

Gagan3019

Nov 18, 2012
Hello,

Andrea

Hi , I have been using eclipse IDE for long time.It is great software to do android development.But they say that Android Studio is more context aware that eclipse and you have to write very less code.Through predictions it guesses what you want to do.So I have decided to give it try and Will be posting my finding here.

Yes this is sure that Android studio is still buggy as my team mates using this software often say that.
Let me check and I will get back.

Any one else if find major differences b/w two please explain pros/cons here.
Thanks,

aditya.kamble

May 18, 2013
India
Eclipse

Hello,

Andrea

Go With eclipse
Eclipse is stable and you will find lot of android video tutorials based on eclipse
Android Studio is still not fully stable ...

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
Go With eclipse
Eclipse is stable and you will find lot of android video tutorials based on eclipse
Android Studio is still not fully stable ...

Have you got examples of when Android Studio has not been stable?

Just because its still in "alpha" stage doesn't mean its not stable... I've never had any issues with it since switching from eclipse. Remember its based off IntelliJ which is stable.

Krinsen

Dec 14, 2013
It is stable enough to develop apps. But we should used to that sometimes studio freeze when we plug second device, or when we trying to do something sophisticated with Gradle. Recording video sometimes generate broken mp4 file.

Another thing is Gradle, which is great tool to simplify building app. Flavors and build types wasn't so easy never before.

Now with 0.5.8 version is almost complete code completion for Gradle files. In upcoming releases we will get proguard completion.

There is several crashes here and there, but it cannot be compared to eclipse. Not the same league.

Big problem is lacking support for native code so you do develop mostly on Visual Studio.

If spending couple minutes from time to time with IDE itself doesn't scare you much, the choice is simple.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using XDA Free mobile app

Gagan3019

Nov 18, 2012
Hi,

Continuing with my previous post ,

I started using android studio a week ago and following are my findings till now.
Android studio is excellent tool for android I guess because it has so many shortcuts or features etc.Sure it has some learning involved because of gradle.But once you pass basics of setting up project using gradle it is most excellent tool.Following are features

1).It will auto import classes when you write code.
2).It is truely context aware tool becuase It will present you with options relevant to piece of code(function, expression,class etc) you are writing when alt+enter is pressed.Consider alt+enter as right click.eg.If you have written any regular expression in your code then it will automatically identify it as regular expression and present you with dialog to test you regular expression there only.Same goes with SQL,HTML,XML etc it presents option with these only.Means you do not have to tell ide that I have written some regular expression please evaluate.It knows what you want.
3).You can search file using ctrl+N by specifying name of file.You can also specify filename:<line> in search box it will go to that file and to that line.
4).Another cool feature is gui editor.When writing any layout then it shows preview side by side, so you dont have to switch.Cool thing is that you can preview multiple devices at the same time.And device skin is of real device.How cool is that.
5).Now coolest feature is that you can set up multiple versions of project at the same time using build flavours using gradle.It is coolest.Just learn this you will love it.
6).No need to install ADT separately and update it separately.Studio comes with everything preloaded , and if any update comes then it is update for Android studio.
7).Real trick of using Android studio is to learn as many shortcuts as possible , Under Help in android studio there is keymapping , it contains complete list of shorcuts.
8).Code navigation is awesome in android studio.
9).It is stable.

Now I am not saying eclipse is not good IDE, but simply android studio is better than it in every aspect.
I feel that if you are new to learning android then please start using Android Studio instead of eclipse.

Please follow this channel for video tutorials on Android Studio : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5fT02o8H1NnGfX7j1CmP6Q
Thanks,Hit thanks if it helped.:good:

Last edited:
Reactions: andoid1

rafalniski

May 28, 2014
I used Eclipse for about 1.5 year. I know almost evry bug there, so after that development was pretty starightforward. Recently, I had to use AS, because of commercial project. It looks great, it's fast and I love it. If you are starting, choose AS.

bassie1995

Jan 9, 2011
Delft
I got Studio working, but it's still all new to me (so much more in an APK, it seems).

I do like it though, it brings a fresh new UI to the table. Need to figure out how to import libraries in it, though...

Jonny

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 22, 2011
I got Studio working, but it's still all new to me (so much more in an APK, it seems).

I do like it though, it brings a fresh new UI to the table. Need to figure out how to import libraries in it, though...

New Module > Import JAR or AAR or Import Existing Project

For libraries that are in the maven repository you can simply add the project to the build.gradle file, for example add the following to import the Google Play Services library:

Code:
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services:+'

bassie1995

Jan 9, 2011
Delft
New Module > Import JAR or AAR or Import Existing Project

For libraries that are in the maven repository you can simply add the project to the build.gradle file, for example add the following to import the Google Play Services library:

Code:
compile 'com.google.android.gms:play-services:+'

Ah cool, I'll try. Thanks!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Eclipse is the best right now.

Google Studio may be in the future.

Here is the Poll

wow, these results make me only more confused.
    Right now I'm using Android Studio too, and in some ways is better, especially the design views on the right side of the code, but adding libraries was a slowly death inside!!!
    Hi,

Continuing with my previous post ,

I started using android studio a week ago and following are my findings till now.
    Android studio is excellent tool for android I guess because it has so many shortcuts or features etc.Sure it has some learning involved because of gradle.But once you pass basics of setting up project using gradle it is most excellent tool.Following are features

1).It will auto import classes when you write code.
    2).It is truely context aware tool becuase It will present you with options relevant to piece of code(function, expression,class etc) you are writing when alt+enter is pressed.Consider alt+enter as right click.eg.If you have written any regular expression in your code then it will automatically identify it as regular expression and present you with dialog to test you regular expression there only.Same goes with SQL,HTML,XML etc it presents option with these only.Means you do not have to tell ide that I have written some regular expression please evaluate.It knows what you want.
    3).You can search file using ctrl+N by specifying name of file.You can also specify filename:<line> in search box it will go to that file and to that line.
    4).Another cool feature is gui editor.When writing any layout then it shows preview side by side, so you dont have to switch.Cool thing is that you can preview multiple devices at the same time.And device skin is of real device.How cool is that.
    5).Now coolest feature is that you can set up multiple versions of project at the same time using build flavours using gradle.It is coolest.Just learn this you will love it.
    6).No need to install ADT separately and update it separately.Studio comes with everything preloaded , and if any update comes then it is update for Android studio.
    7).Real trick of using Android studio is to learn as many shortcuts as possible , Under Help in android studio there is keymapping , it contains complete list of shorcuts.
    8).Code navigation is awesome in android studio.
    9).It is stable.

Now I am not saying eclipse is not good IDE, but simply android studio is better than it in every aspect.
    I feel that if you are new to learning android then please start using Android Studio instead of eclipse.

Please follow this channel for video tutorials on Android Studio : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5fT02o8H1NnGfX7j1CmP6Q
    Thanks,Hit thanks if it helped.:good:
    I personally prefer Eclipse than Android Studio, but i really think that's just an opinion, as you will find users that prefer Android Studio than Eclipse :)
    Just spent some time and work with them so that you can decide yourself