Access data from Samsung Tocco Lite S5230 via USB Cable

Search This thread

phone5774

Jun 1, 2014
I have a Samsung Tocco Lite S5230, otherwise known as Samsung Star, Samsung Player One, Samsung S5233 or Samsung Avila in different countries. I have not modified the firmware. I bought the phone originally with an Orange UK contract but it was not locked as it was from a 3rd party phone shop.

The touchscreen is not responding so I am looking for a way to get my data off it via the USB cable. Unfortunately, in the settings for the phone, it is set to prompt on USB connection to determine which USB mode to use (the options are Media Player, PC Suite, Mass Storage).

So I am wondering what options I have to try to access the data without relying on the touchscreen. If I could change that setting to default PC Suite mode I'd probably be fine as pretty much everything (except for text messages longer than 160 characters) can be access via the PC Suite software. But since the touchscreen isn't responding I can't change this setting.

1. From looking around I am lead to believe that this phone runs the Bada platform?
2. I have a computer which dual boots Ubuntu and Windows.
2a. In Ubuntu, if I connect the USB cable before entering the Sim card pin, the operating system prompts me automatically to enter the pin which allows me to start up the phone; I'm not sure if this is helpful but it seems like a step in the right direction.
2b. In Windows, I haven't found any way to use the computer keyboard to enter the sim card pin, and if I start PC Suite, the computer prompts me to select the PC Suite option on the phone's screen [which I can't do].

I had seen clues to suggest that this phone runs on the Bada Platform? But I have just found this post which seems to claim that a related model does not run Bada?

Perhaps someone would be kind enough to point me in the right direction to help me find some software that can be used to access the phone via the USB cable without relying on the touchscreen?

Thanks in advance for any pointers

PS - as a bonus though probably more for interest than for any practical purpose, is there a way to enter the SIM card PIN from Windows like I can on Ubuntu?