[TUT] How to easily restore data when changing roms.

Search This thread

masterex567

Mar 11, 2012
www.droidsters.com
Hey fellas.
I don't know if this is wrong section or not, but i have something to share.
Are you a sort of person who changes ROMS alot and finds it buggy to keep restoring data and installing the apps again.
This Thread Is going to guide you how you can easily restore your apps and data easily.

Note: Only tested on Gingerbread.
Note: I have only tested this on the same CM7 versions, like Restoring between Apocalypse and Miracle V4, and Official CMs. This might not work for other ROMS which are not Cyanogen Mod like Adrenaline Rom, Stocklite, Lewa, Joy Os and many others.
This is not any sort of personal mod but is something included withing our Ace.

For this to work you ofcourse need to be rooted and have Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Guide:
TO BACKUP DATA AND APPS.
1. First, On your ROM. Install all the apps that you need on other ROMS, and all the data you need on your current ROM
2. Reboot into recovery.
3. Glide to Backup And Restore.
4. Make a Backup.

Now when you install another ROM, you ofcourse need to wipe data and cache and stuff.

Guide:
TO RESTORE ONLY DATA AND APPS.
1. On your new rom, Reboot into Recovery.
2. Glide to Backup and Restore.
3. Select Advanced Restore
4. Select the date of the backup you made above.
5. Restore data.
6. Reboot.

You'll see that all your apps of the previous rom are now working with the new rom without wasting lots of time in installing.

If you end up in bootloops, or hangs try restoring cache too.
And If your device is not booting and is stuck at splash screen. Try adb reboot recovery or pull out battery, boot into recovery and to full restore.

Last edited:

dimspace

Apr 28, 2012
Newcastle
velorooms.com
tested with a lewa backup restoring to a fresh lewa install. bootloop.
same with cm7 - lewa and cm7 to cm7 :/

I use titanium, but for post rom flash i use gobackup, handles contacts, messages as well as apps, but also remembers your widgets, folder layouts etc. By far the quickest solution following a reset.

masterex567

Mar 11, 2012
www.droidsters.com
tested with a lewa backup restoring to a fresh lewa install. bootloop.
same with cm7 - lewa and cm7 to cm7 :/

I use titanium, but for post rom flash i use gobackup, handles contacts, messages as well as apps, but also remembers your widgets, folder layouts etc. By far the quickest solution following a reset.

I didn't test it on lewa bit it works perfectly along cm7 versions...

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

Blackstard

Jun 23, 2012
i tried on stocklite 7.1 and didnt work :/ had to restore with titanium,thanks for sharing anyway !

Sent from my GT-S5830 using XDA premium with StockLite v7.1 rom

golbe

Apr 25, 2012
Is there any way to backup data only?, Not to backup the entire rom.
Using another recovery?

Enviado desde Kremlin

Last edited:

masterex567

Mar 11, 2012
www.droidsters.com
Is there any way to backup data only?, Not to backup the entire rom.
Using another recovery?

Enviado desde Kremlin

No...as I know ace supports only like 3 recoveries. Clockwork mod is the best. You can backup data using titanium backup by touching menu button then batch and click run next to backup all user data and system apps. Then you can restore them the normal way. But in recoveries you have to backup everything.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using xda app-developers app

dimspace

Apr 28, 2012
Newcastle
velorooms.com
I have both titanium and go installed and I find go superior for restore post rom flash

I have the titanium apk saved on my sd card, install that first, use that to install gobackup and s2e, then use go backup to restore the rest.

Go saves contacts, but also call history, messages, as well as your launcher and widget layouts as well as all apps, and it seems much quicker to restore things than titanium is. The downside is less options when restoring, but for a quick reinstall its the quickest. I use titanium for the other features such as freezing apps, restoring old backups, data etc.

dhalham

Aug 29, 2011
You do know that this is just basically flashing a rom over another without data wiping. This method can be buggy 50%.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

dimspace

Apr 28, 2012
Newcastle
velorooms.com
You do know that this is just basically flashing a rom over another without data wiping. This method can be buggy 50%.

Sent from my GT-S5830 using Tapatalk

where is flashing a rom over another without data wiping? The rom is installed in the usual way, cache cleared, factory reset etc, install the rom. and then restore your apps. Its worth noting that the op just said he has tested it in CM7 based rom, so hes not changing rom source.

that said, several people in the thread, myself included have said it does not work with their cm7 based rom. I tested and got bootloops.

And honestly there is no point when there are perfectly good backup packages like titanium, go etc to use.

masterex567

Mar 11, 2012
www.droidsters.com
I tried carrying out some tests. And, it works perfect across CM7.
I flashed cm7 nightly, two of the RCs, and some stable releases and this method works great.

It's also a lot faster, because I am a gamer. And installing the games again, then copying data to appropriate location is very time consuming.
So this method works best for me.

I will try testing if it works on Lewa, Joy, Mokee OS..etc.
But, as long as the base is CM7, I don't think there is any problem that can come across.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hey fellas.
    I don't know if this is wrong section or not, but i have something to share.
    Are you a sort of person who changes ROMS alot and finds it buggy to keep restoring data and installing the apps again.
    This Thread Is going to guide you how you can easily restore your apps and data easily.

Note: Only tested on Gingerbread.
    Note: I have only tested this on the same CM7 versions, like Restoring between Apocalypse and Miracle V4, and Official CMs. This might not work for other ROMS which are not Cyanogen Mod like Adrenaline Rom, Stocklite, Lewa, Joy Os and many others.
    This is not any sort of personal mod but is something included withing our Ace.

For this to work you ofcourse need to be rooted and have Clockwork Mod Recovery.

Guide:
    TO BACKUP DATA AND APPS.
    1. First, On your ROM. Install all the apps that you need on other ROMS, and all the data you need on your current ROM
    2. Reboot into recovery.
    3. Glide to Backup And Restore.
    4. Make a Backup.

Now when you install another ROM, you ofcourse need to wipe data and cache and stuff.

Guide:
    TO RESTORE ONLY DATA AND APPS.
    1. On your new rom, Reboot into Recovery.
    2. Glide to Backup and Restore.
    3. Select Advanced Restore
    4. Select the date of the backup you made above.
    5. Restore data.
    6. Reboot.

You'll see that all your apps of the previous rom are now working with the new rom without wasting lots of time in installing.

If you end up in bootloops, or hangs try restoring cache too.
    And If your device is not booting and is stuck at splash screen. Try adb reboot recovery or pull out battery, boot into recovery and to full restore.
    Or one of the best way Is to use Titanium Backup

Sent from my GT-S5830