[UPDATE][KERNEL][SOURCE] AGAT_GS4_v0.5.2 10/20/13. full ExFat support.

Search This thread

agat63

Inactive Recognized Developer
Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks man!

Is it difficult to make it able to turn off vsync and implement a higher clock speed?

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk 2

I'm still learning this new source and don't wanna make big steps yet.
It's quite different from any other source we had before.
Once more devs start working on it we will make faster progress and add all kind of features to the kernel.

kallell

Apr 11, 2009
I'm still learning this new source and don't wanna make big steps yet.
It's quite different from any other source we had before.
Once more devs start working on it we will make faster progress and add all kind of features to the kernel.

Agat, any idea how this compares (speed wise) to stock?

Also, any chance you could port this over for USCC folk? I can provide any files you need, just pm me.

Thank you!

agat63

Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Agat, any idea how this compares (speed wise) to stock?

Also, any chance you could port this over for USCC folk? I can provide any files you need, just pm me.

Thank you!

Phone is fast enough as is :p
My main concern always was the battery life.
I have used Ktoonservative governor with SIO and ROW schedulers on my GS2 and GS3 phone and
always had a very good battery life.
As for USCC I think it's possible
I'm not sure if there is a source code available for it. Will have to look it up.

Reactions: WMWolverine

jsmcmahon89

Jul 19, 2011
Samsung Galaxy S21
Phone is fast enough as is :p
My main concern always was the battery life.
I have used Ktoonservative governor with SIO and ROW schedulers on my GS2 and GS3 phone and
always had a very good battery life.
As for USCC I think it's possible
I'm not sure if there is a source code available for it. Will have to look it up.

What are you using to change governor? When I set to ktoonservative with system tuner my phone locks up and I have to pull battery(or hold the power button)

agat63

Sep 14, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
What are you using to change governor? When I set to ktoonservative with system tuner my phone locks up and I have to pull battery(or hold the power button)

Ever since my GS3 days I'm using Voltage control for all my cpu settings.
It proved (to me at least) to be most stable and good working app for this task.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to thank for all help and support

Shabbypenguin, interloper, chris41g and Talustus from dream kernel team.

Now to the kernel.

This kernel is for TW (stock based) JB roms only.
    It will not work/boot with any of AOSP/AOKP/CM roms.

Kernel is based on L720 MDL source.
    Kernel works with MDL and MF9 roms.
    Linux version is 3.4.66

Our big thanks to Talustus from Dream Team. We have full native ExFat filesystem support back.
    - Build with Dream 4.7.4 optimazed tool chain.
    - Available Schedulers
    NOOP, CFQ, DEADLINE, ROW, SIO, BFQ, FIOPS, VR, ZEN​
    - init.d support
    - custom bootanimation support
    - WiFi confirmed working.
    - Auto Root
    - Available governors.
    Conservative, Interactive, Ondemand, Performance, Powersave, Userspace, Adaptive, SmartassH3, Wheatley, badass, slp, asswax, smartmax, intellidemand, dancedance​
    - 64 GB ExFat SD Card support. ExFat fuse updated to latest version 1.0.1. (Talustus)
    - Samsung's/MS ExFat modules.
    - qcom's propritary mpdecision service disabled ( Talustus)
    - OC'd to 2.1 GHz
    - UC'd to 162 MHz
    - Boot frequencies are set to stock.
    - GPU OC to 533 MHz
    - frandom module. Kernel will check for fandom module and if present will run it.
    - Unsecure ADB.
    - May be something else I can't recall.

Just in case someone needs or wants it here is TWRP recovery that has been modified and edited by Talustus from DreamKernel team and compiled for GS4 by me.
    I don't know what edits have been done to it but I'm using this recovery for more than 2 months and didn't have a single problem with it
    DREAM_TWRP.ZIP

Now back to kernels.

Here are the links:
    v0.5.2
    Source clean up. Cleaned ramdisk from residual exfat_fuse stuff not needed any more. Change compression method. Update to Linux 3.4.66
    AGAT_GS4_v0.5.2.zip

v0.5.1
    Fixed dual camera issue (Thanks Ktoonsez for tip). Update to Linux version 3.4.64
    AGAT_GS4_v0.5.1.zip

v0.5.0
    Update to Linux 3.4.55, enabled full native ExFat support
    AGAT_GS4_v0.5.0.zip

v0.4.0
    Cleaned up source. Fixed bootloop issues.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.4.0.zip

v0.3.3
    Update to Linux version 3.4.49. Supports MDL and MF9 based roms.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.3.3.zip

v0.3.0
    Fixed reboot problems. Added few governors and I/O Schedules. Lot of optimizations to list here.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.3.0.zip

v0.2.2
    Updated to Linux 3.4.20. Added SmartassH3, Adaptive and Wheatley governors. Unsecure ADB.
    Link is temporary down pending some fixes.
    Sorry.

v0.2.1
    GPU OC to 533 MHz. Force kernel to boot with stock frequencies. Some source clean up.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.2.1.zip

v0.2.0.
    OC/UC 2.1 GHz/162 MHz. Added ExFat file system support. File system is supported has been tested on 64 GB card.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.2.0.zip

v0.1.9
    Added framdom module. Kernel tested. Module works.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.9.zip

MDL Root.
    This kernel has been compiled with stock MDL source without any additions to it except auto root.
    You can flash this kernel over full stock MDL firmware via ODIN and it will give you root.
    Wifi is working and 64GB exfat card should be supported as well.
    AGAT_GS4_MDL_ROOT.tar

v0.1.8
    Added auto root to kernel. On boot it will check if su binary is present and if not it will flash su and superuser.apk.
    So if for any reason you loose your root simple reboot will fix that.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.8.tat flash with odin. Can be flash on fully stock rom and that will provide root.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.8.zip flash in recovery.

v0.1.6
    Added voltage control table. It shows up and works with system tuner.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.6.zip

v0.1.5
    Update to Linux 3.4.10. Added fast charge (hopefully it works). Minor edits.
    No 64Gb exFat support.
    AGATgs4_v0.1.5.zip_

v0.1.4
    Upgrade to Linux 3.4.6. Fixed the wifi issue. It works now. Intruducing ROW scheduler has changed kernel symbols. So 2 versions of dhd.ko
    were in conflict. That has been fixed but till we figure out a way for Kernel to load it's own modules our option to flash is limited to CWM zip
    files only.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.4.zip

v0.1.3
    Added ROW scheduler. This scheduler was specifically written for mobile devices and ROW stands for Read Over Write.
    Did work very well with Ktoonservative governor on GS2 and GS3.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.3.tar
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.3.zip

v0.1.2
    Build on new MDL source released by Samsung.
    Updated to Linux 3.4.4, added SIO scheduler. Added modified Ktoonservative governor.
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.2.tar
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.2.zip

v0.1.1. L720 source build.
    Update to Linux 3.4.4. Added SIO I/O scheduler
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.1.tar
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.1.zip

v0.1.0 (i9505 source build)
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.0.tar
    AGAT_GS4_v0.1.0.zip

Installation instructions:
    You can flash the zip file in any working recovery.
    Tar file can be flashed with ODIN or
    You can pull the boot.img out of either of the files and use heimdall to push it to phone.
    I have tried the zip in recovery and heimdall method only. Have not flashed with PC ODIN.

For now to get rid of that nasty pop up message I've used the BloatwareFreezerFree app from play store.
    In System bloatware find seandroid and freeze it. You can use any other app that's capable to freeze system apps.

Please report any issues and/or problems here so we can try to fix them.

my source can be found here:
    https://github.com/agat63/AGAT_L720_kernel
    (use MDL_Test branch).
    Thanks to dev community I was able to setup remote sever and did some work.
    With huge help from Talustus we were able to make native ExFat file system support to work with custom kernels.
    Now ExFat formatted cards can be unmounted and mounted while phone is booted.
    Also ExFat card will mount automatically when inserted into slot.
    No more reboots to make it work.
    Have tested on my 64GB card many times.
    It works.
    Kernel source has been updated to version 3.4.55.
    OP is updated and link posted.
    Enjoy.
    After being away for a wile I'm back.
    New version 0.5.1 is up.
    Fixed dual camera issue. My thanks to Ktoonsez for tip and suggestion where to look for fix.
    Updated source to Linux version 3.4.64.
    Did some cleaning.
    OP is updated.
    Link posted.
    Sorry for late update but I had hard time figuring the problems with dual camera.
    Hey guys.
    I didn't abandoned you.
    End of August I had a work accident and end up with broken leg (in 2 places).
    Spend some time in hospital. I'm home now and all is good. It needs some time to heal that's it.

I have been asked by quite a few users to take my shot at CM kernel and I spent last couple of days working on it.
    I have it up and running so I can get back to this one.
    Stay tuned and hopefully I can come up with some ideas and update this one soon.
    Thanks for your continued support and patience.
    Version 0.5.0 has been downloaded over 500 times and it's real quite here.
    So I assume there are no bugs and/or problems with it and I can move on.
    Thanks again for your support.
    Personally, I would prefer you left that developer's work out of your kernel. A much abridged and kinder version of my thoughts on this this is as follows:

Having paid apps on the Play Store to use features of a kernel that are otherwise lacking any sort of GUI to control them is not XDA. That is money hounding. If Paul were to offer a free and donation version of his apps, I would find that palatable, but would still prefer to use his work as little as possible. If people would like to use his sound tuning tweaks with their paid apps, they should remain on his kernel upon which they can be capitalized. One of the reasons I don't like to use KToonz's kernel is because it has FauxSound, even though his kernel runs well. I just really don't like Paul (Faux123).

Bottom Line: XDA is not about making money off of your work. Donations are donations and it's great that people give them, but should not be required in order to use kernel features.

I'm not trying to start a flame war in this thread. Just provide some input regarding that feature and why I would prefer it remains out of this kernel. If you don't like what I had to say, give Agat the respect of not starting a flame war in here and send me a pm.

As I mentioned in my previous reply I never heard of that sound thing and I said I'll look into it.
    However,
    I never put something in my kernels/roms that would require a paid app to use.
    I agree that XDA is not the place to make money but rather learn and share for free.
    I have learned a lot from great devs here on XDA and no one ever ask me for money. I'm not planning to start anything like that on my own.
    There is an app in development right now specifically for L720 and gti-9505 kernels and I hope to present it to you soon.
    It's not been developed by me I'm just helping and testing it.
    App will be available for free on play store and/or in kernel and should be able to control and set all aspects of the kernel.
    I do get some donations and I greatly appreciate any help and/or input into my development but I never made donation to a condition.
    And believe me when I say that good portion of all donations I receive I channel down to other devs that have helped me to get where I am.
    For me personally this all is about fun and not money and about learning great stuff and about squeezing every bit possible out of our phones.
    And rest assured that nothing that requires paid app to be used will make it's way into my kernels. ;)