[RELEASE] HTC Hub for everyone!

Search This thread

Aaron McCarthy

Oct 27, 2007
How do I install this sorry guys not done anything on my omnia 7 yet.

start with reading the sticky threads .. that will tell you how to unlock your phone and give you all the information you need to do what you need to do.

What does the updated version have that this version doesnt.... the live tile I guess... but what does it show on the live tile? The weather? I've wanted this for quite sometime. I almost went with the HTC phone at ATT but decided to go with the samsung cause of the better screen... it was my first departure from an HTC phone in a long long time. I knew this would eventually work on our phones so it wasnt a make or break decision.

Good job though! Theres a few people working on this already and you seemed to have beaten them to the punch! Unless of course they are working on the updated version or something :p

Regardless... JUST AWESOME!!!! works perfect on my focus! Already pinned to start!

Last edited:

Heathcliff74

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 1, 2010
What does the updated version have that this version doesnt.... the live tile I guess... but what does it show on the live tile? The weather? I've wanted this for quite sometime. I almost went with the HTC phone at ATT but decided to go with the samsung cause of the better screen... it was my first departure from an HTC phone in a long long time. I knew this would eventually work on our phones so it wasnt a make or break decision.

Good job though! Theres a few people working on this already and you seemed to have beaten them to the punch! Unless of course they are working on the updated version or something :p

Regardless... JUST AWESOME!!!! works perfect on my focus! Already pinned to start!

Thanks.

The new version shows a weather picture, temperature and location on the live-tile. I'm not sure what the other differences are.

I only noticed HTC updated the hub, when I was almost finished reversing the old version. The newer version needs a bit more work. For the old version I had to rewrite some stuff. Mainly for foreign time-calculations, but also some code to access the HTC server.

The live-tile info is stored in the registry, for which HTC specific drivers are needed. This probably needs to be reworked so that it'll read and write that info to and from the isolated storage in order to make it work.

Apart from that it is a little bit more difficult, because the new version is obfuscated. But they did a really bad job in obfuscating, because almost all the important code is still visible.

The biggest job was to find out how to decompile to a compilable project. There are A LOT of caveats to get there. And at first it seemed I had to extract and reattach all resources one by one. That would make it nearly impossible to do by hand. But I found a trick so I could let all the resources as they were and only extract the ones I really need to change. I took notes during the process, so I'm now able to get this working for many apps.

I also did some research on code-obfuscation for Windows Phone 7 apps. And that is really disappointing at the moment. I tried a few of the big names in obfuscating. Downloaded the latest versions that are said to support Windows Phone 7. But most of them failed the simplest assemblies. I really tried all possible settings and assemblies etc. They could simply not produce protected assemblies that would actually run. I got some obfuscation working, but its a real pain to find out which options to use. It absolutely does not work right out of the box. And with the best configuration possible, there is still a lot of readable code. HTC Hub 1.5.0.0 proves this.

I'm not sure when I have time to take a closer look on the new version of the HTC Hub. It may take a while, but I guess I'm going to do it sometime later.

Reactions: VoodooKing

contable

Oct 25, 2009
@Heathcliff74:

back from the touchxperience thread...

Do you think you can enable the weather live tile for OMNIA 7 ?

mkaan

Dec 3, 2010
i can't seem to download any of the HTC hub apps to the phone for some reason. omnia7. so this basically only shows the weather then?

edit: nm, i figured out the answer myself )

thx for the hub!

Last edited:

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
great news! is it able to run htc audio enhancer on o7 same way?

Every app needs to be patched in order to work on other devices. And patching means a lot of work in this case. It needs a full decompile, sourcecode fixing, rewriting native code calls and recompile.

I did this to see if I could do it and learn from the process. Maybe I will port some of the other HTC apps later, but that will not be anytime soon. At this moment I'm working on another 'project' that, if it succeeds, goes way beyond patching apps. I hope I can let you of any success soon.

Reactions: bcmiko

bcmiko

Aug 21, 2008
Prague
Every app needs to be patched in order to work on other devices. And patching means a lot of work in this case. It needs a full decompile, sourcecode fixing, rewriting native code calls and recompile.

I did this to see if I could do it and learn from the process. Maybe I will port some of the other HTC apps later, but that will not be anytime soon. At this moment I'm working on another 'project' that, if it succeeds, goes way beyond patching apps. I hope I can let you of any success soon.

I understand it is not trivial, in fact, quite the opposite. You've done a great job with that HTC Hub.

Thank you for the heads up and good luck with that project :) Lookin' forward :)

Maybe someday we'll be able to use srs wow hd on O7, which I am really really missing a lot from Omnia Pro :)

Heathcliff74

Dec 1, 2010
That's an issue with the Super AMOLED screens. You can see the banding on other apps too, Red Bull TV for example.

That's what I thought too. But oddly enough, there is no banding with the HTC Notes app on Samsung, with almost identical intro. This kinda proves it is not a hardware issue, but maybe an issue in the samsung displays-drivers with specific kinds of color-tables??

Reactions: pdangcil

pdangcil

Jan 15, 2011
Salt Lake City, Utah
Can't install other HTC Apps

For some reason, I can't install the other HTC apps. But on the video, the person was able to intall photo enhancer and the stocks app. Is there a special step i missed?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi,

You can download the rar's. They contain the xap. You can use any dev-unlocked device (also non-HTC). This was quite a reversing-adventure. I learned a lot.

A few remarks:
    - This is not the latest version of the HTC Hub. It does not have the live-tile. Maybe I'll update later.
    - I had to rewrite some parts of the code. It all works 100% but I think it can be done better, so maybe I'll update that later.
    - Note the about screen :D
    Thanks for your reply,
    I try to explain in a better way:

I used Tom XAP Installer 1.2, added XAP File "HTC_hub.xap" and select install (on device).
    PC thinks... and after a minut the error say:
    Error Connection:
    - please make sure your phne was unlocked
    - please make sure you connected device to PC and Zune lunched

I'm quite sure of both notes: I used chevron (with a note of unlocked device) and zune is working...

... any idea?

Thanks

The XAP still has ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES in it. Therefore you would need Interop Unlock. Your DVP doesn't have Interop Unlock. Tom's XAP installer doesn't give any specific errors, it will just fail with that error-message you got.

But because of the changes I made to the HTC Hub, I don't think ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES isn't actually used anymore. That means, that if you remove it, you should be able to deploy it to a device which has only a regular unlock and no Interop Unlock.

To remove ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES do this:
    - Rename the .xap to .zip
    - Extract the file WMAppManifest.xml
    - Open that file in a text-editor
    - Remove the line with ID_CAP_INTEROPSERVICES
    - Save the file
    - Put the file back in the zip (replace the original file)
    - Rename the .zip back to .xap
    - Deploy the modified xap to you DVP.

Tell me if that works for you.

Ciao,
    Heathcliff74

PS. Funny to see that there are 9200 downloads and 13 people took the effort to hit the Thanks-button :eek:
    Thanks for the response. I asked because the Samsung Connection Setup app doesn't support my network, so I can't configure or use MMS. I know that the HTC Connection Setup app does however, so I want to use it to configure my network settings. Do you think this is possible (I didn't understand everything you said, so sorry if this is a silly question)?

Hmm.. I don't know about that. HTC Connection Setup is not a solution, because you don't have the necessary drivers on your device. Samsung has a set of predefined xml's in the \windows folder. Every country has it's own xml with the settings of the known network operators. There is a trick to configure one of these. Info is in this thread. But I'm not sure if there is an xml on your phone that contains the info for your network operator. Good luck.

Thanks.

The new version shows a weather picture, temperature and location on the live-tile. I'm not sure what the other differences are.

I only noticed HTC updated the hub, when I was almost finished reversing the old version. The newer version needs a bit more work. For the old version I had to rewrite some stuff. Mainly for foreign time-calculations, but also some code to access the HTC server.

The live-tile info is stored in the registry, for which HTC specific drivers are needed. This probably needs to be reworked so that it'll read and write that info to and from the isolated storage in order to make it work.

Apart from that it is a little bit more difficult, because the new version is obfuscated. But they did a really bad job in obfuscating, because almost all the important code is still visible.

The biggest job was to find out how to decompile to a compilable project. There are A LOT of caveats to get there. And at first it seemed I had to extract and reattach all resources one by one. That would make it nearly impossible to do by hand. But I found a trick so I could let all the resources as they were and only extract the ones I really need to change. I took notes during the process, so I'm now able to get this working for many apps.

I also did some research on code-obfuscation for Windows Phone 7 apps. And that is really disappointing at the moment. I tried a few of the big names in obfuscating. Downloaded the latest versions that are said to support Windows Phone 7. But most of them failed the simplest assemblies. I really tried all possible settings and assemblies etc. They could simply not produce protected assemblies that would actually run. I got some obfuscation working, but its a real pain to find out which options to use. It absolutely does not work right out of the box. And with the best configuration possible, there is still a lot of readable code. HTC Hub 1.5.0.0 proves this.

I'm not sure when I have time to take a closer look on the new version of the HTC Hub. It may take a while, but I guess I'm going to do it sometime later.
    Is the live tile also working?

Live tile works but only if you have custom rom with built in HTC drivers. On stock roms it won`t work on non HTC devices.