Provisioning Fail

Search This thread

tmosxda

Feb 28, 2014
Hey guys. I successfully rooted and installed twrp last night. This morning, I tried to install a custom rom but after installing and then rebooting I received an error message on the screen stating "Provisioning Fail". I tried a couple of other roms and have even tried the original stock Amazon rom but none of them will work. I followed a thread that I saw here and attempted a system recovery using fastboot and original img files,

This resulted in the loss of twrp on my kindle and now every time I boot, I get the normal kindle fire logo and then straight the the "Provisional Fail" screen. Please help. Cheers.

tmosxda

Feb 28, 2014
That usually comes up with a firmware update failure. Even people with stock units got that message before but it's been a while. You need to restore it via system restore tool again and use option 3.

Sent From Kindle Fire HD 7 running CM 11 4.4.2

I have tried to restore it with a couple of tools that I found on the forum but I get an error message saying device not found. When I connect the Kindle, it doesn't even show up in the device manager on my laptop.

Last edited:

stunts513

Feb 8, 2013
New Braunfels, TX
Eh yea but Its not fun and you still will need a cable that has a contact point for the pin that's normally soldered. Not all USB cables have them(and I believe the cable that came with the kindle didn't have the contact point either) You could use a paperclip and try to hold it in place but I don't recommend this, you might accidentally slip the paperclip and short something. The black hat adapters are nice. I recommend them, they go between a normal cable and the kindle.

Sent from my Amazon Kindle Fire HD using Tapatalk

Reactions: tmosxda

tmosxda

Feb 28, 2014
Eh yea but Its not fun and you still will need a cable that has a contact point for the pin that's normally soldered. Not all USB cables have them(and I believe the cable that came with the kindle didn't have the contact point either) You could use a paperclip and try to hold it in place but I don't recommend this, you might accidentally slip the paperclip and short something. The black hat adapters are nice. I recommend them, they go between a normal cable and the kindle.

I am going to order one of those adapters and hopefully it will do the trick. Thanks for your help.

IrishMLK

Dec 15, 2012
Simlar situtation

Were you able to get past this?

I had successfully loaded the 2nd bootloader and put CM 10 on my Kindle. When I tried to go to CM11, something got borked. All I could get was a boot loop with the normal kindle boot screen - I no longer saw the blue graphic.

I get provisioning fail only when I use the recovery tool - any version. Honestly I have tried so many things I don't know how to get back to stock.

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest

I had successfully loaded the 2nd bootloader and put CM 10 on my Kindle. When I tried to go to CM11, something got borked. All I could get was a boot loop with the normal kindle boot screen - I no longer saw the blue graphic.

I get provisioning fail only when I use the recovery tool - any version. Honestly I have tried so many things I don't know how to get back to stock.

Do you have a fastboot cord? Use the most recent SRT and choose option 3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

IrishMLK

Dec 15, 2012
Do you have a fastboot cord? Use the most recent SRT and choose option 3. http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1951254

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

I do have the fastboot adapter and option 3 still brings up the provisioning fail error. I have tried all permutations of the SRT and KFFA. I get nothing but provisioning fail unless I go back to the 2nd bootloader boot/recovery/system files. Then I get the orange kindle fire boot loop.

Thanks, MLK

south956

Sep 12, 2012
edinburg
I had this problem, I had gotten it due to trying to put different kernel on stock system. My way of getting out of this loop was using KFFA and doing the option that installs all partitions off a working kindle. It installs a total of 7 partitions,if I'm correct, and viola your fixed! That was the thing though.....I used another extra kindle I had in hand, I extracted the partition files from it and injected them to faulty kindle.

yvydader.jpg

For your own custom Sig : http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1922304

tmosxda

Feb 28, 2014

Sorry for the late reply.

I contacted amazon and they sent me a replacement kindle. I sent them back the broken kindle.

ellabankss

Oct 15, 2012
I had this problem, I had gotten it due to trying to put different kernel on stock system. My way of getting out of this loop was using KFFA and doing the option that installs all partitions off a working kindle. It installs a total of 7 partitions,if I'm correct, and viola your fixed! That was the thing though.....I used another extra kindle I had in hand, I extracted the partition files from it and injected them to faulty kindle.

Hi! I'm having the same problem with "Provisioning Fail" I bought a fastboot cable and used KFHD System restore tool. My Kindle Fire HD (2012) is unrooted and kept freezing until one day i opened it again and saw the Provisioning Fail on the screen. So chose option 3, going back to stock but when I opened the device, the Kindle Fire logo back but after a few seconds went back to Provisioning fail.

Can you tell me you used the KFFA? And what partitions did you mention about? Sorry I'm a total noob about all these stuff. Hope you can help me.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

That usually comes up with a firmware update failure. Even people with stock units got that message before but it's been a while. You need to restore it via system restore tool again and use option 3.

Sent From Kindle Fire HD 7 running CM 11 4.4.2
    I have tried to restore it with a couple of tools that I found on the forum but I get an error message saying device not found. When I connect the Kindle, it doesn't even show up in the device manager on my laptop.

You need a fastboot cable to restore it.