[Q] NFC battery on N7000?

Search This thread

MirrorOfTruth

Apr 17, 2012
So, I'm soon expecting a Galaxy Note N7000 for my birthday in two weeks or so. And I've done googling out the wazoo to no avail being able to see if there's an NFC flash like the AT&T one for NFC. But, I came to this. I searched for NFC batteries and came to this website called exportprive and voila! It's a battery for the N7000, presumably from the Korean model, with an NFC chip! Same MaH and all. So I'm wondering, if I jam this sucker into my new phone when it arrives, will it behave as an NFC phone? Or will I need some kinda ICS ROM flash, or tweak to get it working? Or will it just not work and I should give up?

biscuitlad

Mar 5, 2012
I actually emailed Samsung support about this and got very confusing answers. They said no NFC support in Gingerbread, but ICS would have it. They kept repeating this, and wouldn't say if I needed to buy a battery with NFC or whether the chip was already in there. Here is their answer:

In relation to your query NFC is not supported with the Gingerbread operation system but future updates such as ICE Cream Sandwich may support this function.

Don't fully understand your answer. Do you mean the Galaxy Note may support NFC with ICS at some point in the future, provided that I purchase an NFC battery? Or is there no need to buy an NFC battery?

As the ICS update is soon, I'd be happy to purchase the NFC battery if were likely to be supported, as I would like to develop applications that make use of NFC "smart tags".

Please be clear with your answer.
In response to your query, the Samsung Galaxy Note currently would not support NFC with or without an NFC battery. The gingerbread operating system does not support NFC. In the future when the Galaxy Note receives the Ice Cream Sandwich update then the device would have the software that supports NFC.

So there you have it. :confused:

But I think the answer is actually no. Samsung customer support just doesn't know anything about the hardware on their phones.

Zamboney

Feb 20, 2012
How would ICS communicate with the NFC chip on the battery? I can't believe it has a data bus for that there? Can't see how it would actually be usable.

Sent from my superior GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

yiannisthegreek

Jul 2, 2009
Edmonton
How would ICS communicate with the NFC chip on the battery? I can't believe it has a data bus for that there? Can't see how it would actually be usable.

Well it does... My Galaxy Nexus is exactly the same with the NFC in the battery and it works like a charm.

Now I had the ATT version of the NOTE before I traded it for the International one I have now and what I noticed is the the ATT version has 4 pins / receptors on the battery and the phone itself where the international version only has 3. I am assuming that the 4th pin / receptor would be for the NFC chip and if that is the case then I dont know that the international version is capable of NFC period.

Last edited:

biscuitlad

Mar 5, 2012
Mmm. Well, I'm sure, absolutely sure, that in the ads on YouTube heralding the great arrival of ICS / premium suite, they would have found a minute or two to tell us that NFC would be available. They didn't, so I think it won't. But I'd love to be surprised to the contrary!

Zamboney

Feb 20, 2012
Well it does... My Galaxy Nexus is exactly the same with the NFC in the battery and it works like a charm.

Now I had the ATT version of the NOTE before I traded it for the International one I have now and what I noticed is the the ATT version has 4 pins / receptors on the battery and the phone itself where the international version only has 3. I am assuming that the 4th pin / receptor would be for the NFC chip and if that is the case then I dont know that the international version is capable of NFC period.

Exactly. there'd have to be a dedicated port for communication and it sounds improbable they'd put one in but not add the feature to the battery.

Mister_Mxyzptlk

Dec 5, 2011
Louisville, KY
The GT-N7000 does not support NFC at the hardware level. No software will ever enable NFC on the GT-N7000. No battery will either. The North American Note (SGH-I717) does support NFC, but it does it using two bronze pins in the back of the handset that make contact with two pins in the back cover. This allows the NFC antenna in the back cover to operate. The difference in the appearance of the two types of batteries is trivial.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The GT-N7000 does not support NFC at the hardware level. No software will ever enable NFC on the GT-N7000. No battery will either. The North American Note (SGH-I717) does support NFC, but it does it using two bronze pins in the back of the handset that make contact with two pins in the back cover. This allows the NFC antenna in the back cover to operate. The difference in the appearance of the two types of batteries is trivial.

Sent from my GT-N7000 using Tapatalk