[Q] USB Media Mode and Charging

Search This thread

mneimeyer

Dec 18, 2010
I have a new desk job and I've been abusing the new T-Mobile free music data to listen to Pandora all day which is killing my battery.

When I plug my Note 3 into a USB 3 Port it defaults to USB 2 mode. I know I can go to "USB computer connection" in settings and change it to "Media device (USB 3.)" to get it to change over. Does the fact that I have to manually change it over to USB 3 for data mean that I'm also not getting USB 3.0 900mA to charge with?

An additional frustration is that it is hard to test that because if I don't use the USB 3.0 to transfer data then it eventually "falls back" to USB 2 mode automatically. Is there any way to make it stay USB 3 when plugged into USB 3?

Thanks!

master123467

Aug 11, 2010
It defaults to 2.0 because a lot of computers and laptops that people have dont always have usb 3.0, if you can do it you have the option to switch

mneimeyer

Dec 18, 2010
It defaults to 2.0 because a lot of computers and laptops that people have dont always have usb 3.0, if you can do it you have the option to switch

Fair enough, but it seems like the Note has the ability to detect that it is plugged into a USB 3 port because it only offers the USB 3 media mode when it is.

Also, any ideas on whether the data mode affects the ability to charge at the higher USB 3 900mA instead of the USB 2 500mA?