OFF-TOPIC LOUNGE non-device related discussions

Search This thread

jbzny1

Oct 19, 2010
Birmingham
I been on here like 2yrs, and still don't care about posting in the dev section, almost every prob that comes up is asked about and responded to, and most respond to pm anyway, so my only reason would be to say thanks, and there's a button for that.

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: flastnoles11

alaman68

Nov 20, 2010
drinking under a bridge
Sucks for the big red customers.....
Verizon announces upgrade availabil...m/verizon-upgrade-eligibility-changes-189436/

Sent from a planet far far away.

I tried to click the link but I think my browser is bogged down with pron remnants. "Website unavailable"

I have a 2gb Verizon account, the 4g is remarkable and reliable, but the price blows.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using xda app-developers app

flonker

Nov 3, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Am I the only one worried about the direction of Google Play?

I'd say at least half of the free to download apps being newly released on the market are nothing more than vessels to collect and sell a users data/information. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the permissions these apps are requesting, and the willingness of individuals to click okay, it is only a matter of time before a HUGE data mining scam tarnishes the reputation of Google.

When you see live wallpaper apps requesting access to discover accounts, text messaging, upload data, browser history, etc., tell me all of these apps are using this authority just for push ads, or responsibly and legally.

Selling user data is different than making revenue from ads, and Google needs to get a handle on it.

/rant

flastnoles11

Nov 16, 2011
Palm bay
OnePlus 9 Pro
Am I the only one worried about the direction of Google Play?

I'd say at least half of the free to download apps being newly released on the market are nothing more than vessels to collect and sell a users data/information. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but with the permissions these apps are requesting, and the willingness of individuals to click okay, it is only a matter of time before a HUGE data mining scam tarnishes the reputation of Google.

When you see live wallpaper apps requesting access to discover accounts, text messaging, upload data, browser history, etc., tell me all of these apps are using this authority just for push ads, or responsibly and legally.

Selling user data is different than making revenue from ads, and Google needs to get a handle on it.

/rant

If you're that worried report the apps top Google they will review them and if there is anything wrong with them Google will pull them from the playstore

SPRINT GS3 FAQ

loumoli

Nov 22, 2010
FortLauderdale
How many people are going to make the jump to the s4 you know? And is it worth it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

CNexus

May 17, 2012
~/android
Google Pixel 7
How many people are going to make the jump to the s4 you know? And is it worth it?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

I personally wouldnt unless you'll upgrading from a phone that was released along with the S2 or that generation

Lots of the new features will come to the S3 and have already started to, its really just hardware improvements that wont be super noticeable

12MaNy

Jun 7, 2010
Seattle
I personally wouldnt unless you'll upgrading from a phone that was released along with the S2 or that generation

Lots of the new features will come to the S3 and have already started to, its really just hardware improvements that wont be super noticeable

Those hardware improvements will be super noticeable. ;)

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Unfortunately since the S4 can't be on 3g data and voice simultaneously like the S3 that's a step backwards in my opinion, so absolutely not. And since the chip set won't be the same as the international one it's not going to be any better. Every single feature and app will be on our S3 anyway.

Transmitted with a portable device using Xparent Blue Tapatalk 2

flonker

Nov 3, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Five days after posting my thoughts on the state of Google Play (specifically Google allowing apps the ability of far too many permissions to be allowed in the market), 9 million downloads of apps that used those exact permissions to install malware.

Google needs to change it's policy on ad supported apps. Specifically, what permissions can be used by ads. The permissions by all these "push" ad apps is ridiculous. Push ads should be banned. An app should either be free, paid or if it is going to be ad supported it should be like Angry Birds, push ads require too many permissions and will continue to cause nothing but problems for Google.

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Most of those 9 million where in Russia and targeted at the Russian Market. It hasn't crossed your mind that it may be their on government tracking the people? Just saying.

flonker

Nov 3, 2011
Google Pixel 7 Pro
Most of those 9 million where in Russia and targeted at the Russian Market. It hasn't crossed your mind that it may be their on government tracking the people? Just saying.

It hasn't occurred to you that it doesn't matter where the apps originated or who was targeted, as long as the invasive permissions are allowed in apps on the market anyone who downloads these apps is vulnerable. Apps with push ads put Google users at unnecessary risk, regardless where they live.

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
It hasn't occurred to you that it doesn't matter where the apps originated or who was targeted, as long as the invasive permissions are allowed in apps on the market anyone who downloads these apps is vulnerable. Apps with push ads put Google users at unnecessary risk, regardless where they live.

Point taken but this is the least of your worries honestly.

auau465121

Apr 12, 2010
New Orleans
Just held a HTC ONE WOW I seen the reviews about it feeling good in the hand that is the understatement of the year

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Ragnar

Retired Forum Moderator
Jul 11, 2011
Valhalla
Ok guys personal request from one android enthusiast to all others.
Please take a listen, might not be your cup of tea but trying to help my son get his stuff out. Fresh new remix, share it out there in all your social media, just help him get heard.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TAXf1QylfG8&feature=youtube_gdata_player
Back on topic now... Which is no topic!!

Sent from the future via Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OFF-TOPIC LOUNGE

Kenny sorry for making a thread about this. But sad to say dont realy have friends who I could tell without getting smack talk to.

Anyways I know no one knows me here, other then maybe by that annoying guy with the dumb question or that noob.

Like I saif i dont really have friends beside two which is sad. But here it goes im going to have a baby!!!!! I know no one care but I just wanted to tell the world.

Kenny again sorry for the thread. Feel free to remove.

Sent from my Death Star using xda force
    Here is a place where you can talk about anything BUT keep it clean please and NO FLAMING!

With that said let me congratulate Ivcesar and the wonderful announcement in the next post!

Enjoy all!

Friendly Neighborhood Moderator
    Re: *off topic* Lounge for all non-S3 conversations

Anyone else think its stupid that I cant post on the developer section to let them know I am testing there rom out and inform them of bugs until I have 10 posts? And the post part is i have to wait 5 minutes between each post. I have been a member for 6 months and a user since the drop of the original Evo. This sucks! <<
    Nope, not stupid at all... I think they should raise the limit actually
    I agree with Flastnoles11, it should be higher. Make sure someone has read and read and is serious. 10 post can be accomplished in half a day. As someone else said you gave the ability to PM someone in the thread or a developer.

Anyone else think its stupid that I cant post on the developer section to let them know I am testing there rom out and inform them of bugs until I have 10 posts? And the post part is i have to wait 5 minutes between each post. I have been a member for 6 months and a user since the drop of the original Evo. This sucks! <<

Nope, not stupid at all... I think they should raise the limit actually

There is always PM's.

Sent from a planet far far away.