KindleFree (Free your kindle)

Search This thread

jimadakid

Jan 29, 2013
Planning on rooting and installing kindle free, But before i do can anyone tell me if the read-aloud feature still works, if you use the "home" function to access the stock kindle reading app?
Thanks

morgan.lin

Feb 1, 2013

i downloaded it and Google play appears on my tatty carsell and when I go on it it just says that is is loading and it has been like that for about half a hour and still '' loading'' please help and quick

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
i downloaded it and Google play appears on my tatty carsell and when I go on it it just says that is is loading and it has been like that for about half a hour and still '' loading'' please help and quick

Maybe try uninstalling Google Play, reboot, reinstall Google Play, reboot and then try it, see if that works :)

Yes. In your app drawer is an app called home. This is the default kindle launcher. Run it. Now your books will work and will continue to do so as long as the launcher stays in memory.

This info should really be added to the app. As I was installing it, I got all nervous because it told me the Kindle book app wouldn't work after installing a launcher. I was like whaaaat??? :eek: cuz on my Fire OG I could easily switch between the Kindle launcher and Go launcher and not have any issues accessing any of my Prime benefits under the standard Kindle launcher.

So perhaps in the app itself, it should be stated that you need to run the Kindle launcher that is still accessible via the Home app in order to use these features, rather than saying they won't work at all.

Anyhoo, I'm still going through the configuring of Nova Launcher now so I haven't had a chance to test everything but I wanted to just comment on the above while it was still fresh in my mind.

Last edited:
I was having a problem with the version of GoogleServicesFramework installed with this app (it kept quitting) so I reverted back to the version I was using previously from prokennexusa's thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2069329

I forgot to check the version number on the file before changing back but I did notice that the GoogleServicesFramework.apk from that thread is 2.78MB vs (i think it was) 1.33MB with the version installed by this tool. The other 2 files, GoogleLoginService.apk and AccountAndSyncSettings.apk seem to be the same.

I wonder if anyone else here was having trouble with GoogleServicesFramework, or is it just me? In any case, going back to the version I had before fixed it. *shrug*

Nixeus

Sep 14, 2007
Hello,

I have buy the Kindle Free Pro version.
Installing, and installing a launcher (nova prime), all is good !

I juste have le Kindle App problem...:\
If i updated it, i can use it, but after a reboot, all is blocked.

I would like to know if you have a good solution in order to run the lateste Kindle version in our Kindle Fire, in ou launcher.

Did you plan a hack or other ?

Thanks a lot :)

Hot Guy

Feb 25, 2013
any problems with the kindlefree app? ..coz i am using my kindle fire 2 for books ...i read somewhere there is some issues with that ? cant get to the books>>>>>>>so is there a problem ? ..and how can it be fixed

Hey guys,

Sorry I was travelling yesterday back home.

So, I do have paypal Stericson.g1 AT Gmail (email)

@gunnyman

1. An undo option for launchers and the miscellaneous stuff.
-- Long press on an item to undo it
2. Reminder that if installing an alternate launcher, kindle books will no longer work.
-- I will add that, I wasn't aware that this happens, is this normal when replacing the launcher? Like does this happen if done manually?
3. A warning against updating any of the Amazon apps in google play store.
-- What should the warning say?

Hot Guy

Feb 25, 2013
how do i install the app ?

how do i install this app ? when i downloaded i got a folder ..now i have unzipped it ..but how do i install it ? ..help someone ?

Last edited:

Hot Guy

Feb 25, 2013
Error message when i try to install

I tried to install it on my KindleFire 2nd gen and when i try to open it i get an error message...it doesnt open ..so am i doing something wrong ? ..i tried to send a privte message but dont know if it has gone thru or not .am tring here now ..any help ?

Stericson

Retired Senior Mod / Retired Senior RD
Nov 10, 2008
Hey,

Sorry, I don't check my messages very often but I got notified of this post.

You need to root your phone to use this application. There are some topics on how to do this in the kindle fire forums... Can't link you to any atm because I'm mobile.

RootTools.apk, and RootTools for that matter Is used by developers.

Hot Guy

Feb 25, 2013
Rooting of KindleFire@

But isnt this app meant for use without rooting the kindle ....isnt that how its meant to be used ..coz i am a total noob and have no idea abt how to root etc ..and dont have anyone who can help ..i was wondering if there is astep by step guide for some one who has no idea how things work ? ...Mine is Kindle Fire 2nd gen ...i have seen only the " how to" posts for older versions of kindle....

Hey,

Sorry, I don't check my messages very often but I got notified of this post.

You need to root your phone to use this application. There are some topics on how to do this in the kindle fire forums... Can't link you to any atm because I'm mobile.

RootTools.apk, and RootTools for that matter Is used by developers.

Hot Guy

Feb 25, 2013
OMG >>>>

:good::good:Thankx ......i got thayt, guess i missed that...ok:cowboy:good::good:

QUOTE=Krsmqn;38658089]Nope.

From OP....

Sent from my KFTT using xda premium[/QUOTE]

But isnt this app meant for use without rooting the kindle ....isnt that how its meant to be used ..coz i am a total noob and have no idea abt how to root etc ..and dont have anyone who can help ..i was wondering if there is astep by step guide for some one who has no idea how things work ? ...Mine is Kindle Fire 2nd gen ...i have seen only the " how to" posts for older versions of kindle....

There are tons of how-to threads out here. Specifically look for a lot of the threads with "Noob version" in the subject. Here's a couple to get you started. If you're looking for an automated tool that'll help you root, and some extra hand-holding from some generous contributors and forum members during the process, I'd highly recommend the first link and the KF First Aide tool. It'll also allow you to take a backup of your partitions before you start doing anything.... just in case. ;)

[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

[ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

obviously you don't have to read the entire thread, esp since the first one is nearly 130 pages long now. However start by reading the first page, paying particular attention to the first Original Post (OP), and then maybe the last 5-10 pages. And like all threads out here on xda, do make use of the thread's search capability if you have a specific question in mind as many of the same questions are asked (and answered) over and over again. (hehh they could probably use for someone to put together a FAQ or something.)

Best a luck to ya! :)

Reactions: amirphoto

Hot Guy

Feb 25, 2013
Kindle is rooted and KindleFree loaded

There are tons of how-to threads out here. Specifically look for a lot of the threads with "Noob version" in the subject. Here's a couple to get you started. If you're looking for an automated tool that'll help you root, and some extra hand-holding from some generous contributors and forum members during the process, I'd highly recommend the first link and the KF First Aide tool. It'll also allow you to take a backup of your partitions before you start doing anything.... just in case. ;)

[BACKUP][RECOVERY] Kindle Fire HD and 2 First Aide Software - Noob (Simple) Version

[ROOT][HOW TO] Root the Kindle Fire HD and 2 with Windows - Noob (Simple) Version

obviously you don't have to read the entire thread, esp since the first one is nearly 130 pages long now. However start by reading the first page, paying particular attention to the first Original Post (OP), and then maybe the last 5-10 pages. And like all threads out here on xda, do make use of the thread's search capability if you have a specific question in mind as many of the same questions are asked (and answered) over and over again. (hehh they could probably use for someone to put together a FAQ or something.)

Thanks people ...i finally rooted my KindleFire 2ndGen..and checked it using RootChecker which says that its rooted....i installed KindleFree and now we are ready but google play and GoLauncher are not working on it ..i tried the latest version of Golauncher 3.31 or something...it isnt launching , ADW is working but then ADW was always working with the unrooted device too. So how do i get the Golauncher and googleplay app working and running ...

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Thanks people ...i finally rooted my KindleFire 2ndGen..and checked it using RootChecker which says that its rooted....i installed KindleFree and now we are ready but google play and GoLauncher are not working on it ..i tried the latest version of Golauncher 3.31 or something...it isnt launching , ADW is working but then ADW was always working with the unrooted device too. So how do i get the Golauncher and googleplay app working and running ...

crazyjoejoe

Mar 13, 2011
Ok I have a couple questions.

First, I keep getting a popup stating "google services framework has stopped" I have re-installed this but it still does it. How do I fix this?

Second, I click on the amazon kindle app but it does nothing. How can I get this to work so I can read my books?

Thanks

EDIT: I tried clicking on the home icon and it didn't load the books.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Within the last week I have been on vacation in Minnesota and my Dad has a Kindle Fire HD...after seeing how horrible the Amazon Homescreen is and all that can be done to help improve the device I decided to write an application that would help users perform general tasks on the Kindle Fire HD after rooting it that would make their experience better.

I have yet to test this on anything but the Kindle Fire HD. I know this will not work on the original Kindle Fire, but 2nd generation on up may be able to use this as well but I have not tested it as I don't have one of these devices.

I made two version, a free and a pro version. The free version will allow you to install a custom launcher and the Android market. Beyond that I'm asking for ~1.00 for the pro version (Well I get $1.00 anyways after Googles cut) to help development and buy me some StarBucks :)

Tip: long press on items to remove them from your device.

Here are the links to both in the Android market:

Pro - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree_License

Free - https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.KindleFree (I just published this one so it may not be up yet...)

I've also attached the free one as well.

Please let me know what you guys think and if you want to see more added to this.
    Thanks for the comments guys, I made some updates and uploaded the new version.
    Hey guys,

Sorry I was travelling yesterday back home.

So, I do have paypal Stericson.g1 AT Gmail (email)

@gunnyman

1. An undo option for launchers and the miscellaneous stuff.
    -- Long press on an item to undo it
    2. Reminder that if installing an alternate launcher, kindle books will no longer work.
    -- I will add that, I wasn't aware that this happens, is this normal when replacing the launcher? Like does this happen if done manually?
    3. A warning against updating any of the Amazon apps in google play store.
    -- What should the warning say?

Stericson, I've already done all this and have no need for the app - but you hit it out of the park! You got a PayPal donate page?
    This works great on kindle fire 2nd gen.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "The free version will allow you to install Android market" ... but you have to download it from the market? How, if market isn't installed?

Sent from my KFHD7 using xda premium

Just google the googleplay.apk download it to the device and open it with a file manager,