[Q] Dropbox after formatting hard drive

Search This thread

Remcotjuuh

Aug 7, 2012
Groningen, the Netherlands
Hey guys,

Since Dropbox basically is a folder on my hard drive, I was wondering what would happen if I would format my hard drive and thus delete the Dropbox folder. Will everything remain intact, be deleted or downloaded again later on?

Thanks in advance.

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
But does that mean that the files will stay in the folder and that new files won't sync properly?

No, no, no.

If you simply format the hard drive then it will be as if you apply your DropBox account to a new PC. Once you install it, it will sync perfectly and pull all your files down to the newly-formatted hard-drive absolutely fine.

Reactions: Remcotjuuh

Remcotjuuh

Aug 7, 2012
Groningen, the Netherlands
That sounds better, thank you. And if you format the hard drive and not yet apply your account to a newly formatted one, will the files be already accessible in the browser?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app

Last edited:

mahoni444

May 2, 2013
saint sebastien sur loire
Hey guys,

Since Dropbox basically is a folder on my hard drive, I was wondering what would happen if I would format my hard drive and thus delete the Dropbox folder. Will everything remain intact, be deleted or downloaded again later on?

Thanks in advance.

Dropbox is a cloud you can format your pc you will always find what's in with your username dropox

backdraft2014

Feb 28, 2014
Format my mac and what happen with my dropbox folder

Dropbox is a cloud you can format your pc you will always find what's in with your username dropox

Hello People,

I'm agree Dropbox is a cloud. Right now I want to format my Mac and I have more than 60 GB in my dropbox folder. If I format my mac (I will lost all the information), should I have to wait (a long time) the sync between my computer and my dropbox before using the files OR can I copy and paste my files in the Dropbox folders (the files just before the format) and "nothing happened"?

Thank you so much for your help guys :good:.

SimonTS

Oct 23, 2011
Bristol
Hello People,

I'm agree Dropbox is a cloud. Right now I want to format my Mac and I have more than 60 GB in my dropbox folder. If I format my mac (I will lost all the information), should I have to wait (a long time) the sync between my computer and my dropbox before using the files OR can I copy and paste my files in the Dropbox folders (the files just before the format) and "nothing happened"?

Thank you so much for your help guys :good:.

You 'should' be able to copy the files and restore them, but if anything else changes on DropBox in the meantime you may end up with some duplicated files to weed out manually.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    But does that mean that the files will stay in the folder and that new files won't sync properly?

No, no, no.

If you simply format the hard drive then it will be as if you apply your DropBox account to a new PC. Once you install it, it will sync perfectly and pull all your files down to the newly-formatted hard-drive absolutely fine.
    Same thing different perspective :)
    And yes your file are accessible online in the browser or on any other device.

Regards