[Guide] By Pass T-Mobile Carrier Tethering (No Root)
You may skip this part if you are not interested on what I have found
I am not sure will this guide work for other carriers. Let me know if it does.
I just moved to US for almost two months. The first thing I found out was carriers here doesn't give FREE tethering.
I chose T-Mobile because the plan is cheap enough for a college student like me. I am using $30 T-Mobile prepaid plan (100 min talks, Unlimited Text & 5GB Data)
At first, tethering works on my Galaxy Note 2 N7100 (GSM Version). But after my friend loaded a Youtube video, I received the following message.
I started to Google this issue. Searched all over XDA but non of them actually works for my Galaxy Note 2 N7100 (Maybe it is GSM or it is just not supported. Clockwormod tether isn't working for my device too). I found out that tether works for Linux but Windows (I have Linux run on top of my Windows desktop, AKA VM) [i.e. Basically tethering works for those programs in windows that require internet, but not browsers such as Chrome, IE, or Firefox]. I continued to do my research and I found something interesting.
T-Mobile tracks your browser agent and prevent you from using tether (for windows). So I found a way to change chrome user agent easily to bypass the tethering by changing your desktop chrome agent to Android. Steps by steps instructions available below.
- Working Android phone with tethering option (wireless or wired)
- Google Chrome for Windows/ Chromium for Windows. [More information on Chromium: HERE, Download Chromium: HERE
- Install Google Chrome OR Chromium (if you dont have it)
- Download the file "User-Agent-Switcher-for-Chrome_v1.0.26.zip" attached in the attachment section
- Extract it and you will get "User-Agent-Switcher-for-Chrome_v1.0.26.crx"
- Launch Google Chrome/ Chromium
- Type this "chrome://extensions/" to your address bar and press enter
- Drag and Add "User-Agent-Switcher-for-Chrome_v1.0.26.crx" into the Extensions setting tab as shown in the picture below
After you have successfully added the extension, you will get an option on your Google Chrome / Chromium as shown in the picture below.
- Select Android > Nexus 7 4.1.2
- Start your Wireless or Wired tethering and connect it to your phone
- You're done!
Enjoy surfing the Internet on your T-Mobile Wireless Hotspot! Remember to switch back to default after you've done using your tethering.
Let me know what you think. Leave me a comment. Rate it and share it if you love what I have made.
NOTE: I have chromium.zip (portable Google Chrome browser in zip) extension file in my Android phone all the time. I can access Google
Chrome by extracting it and install the extension anytime to by pass the wireless tether. Found it useful to have these files in my phone.
Thanks in advance,
From Melvin Ch'ng
MelvinChng @ Google+
MelvinChng @ Twitter
MelvinChng @ Facebook
MelvinChng @ Schemer
MelvinChng @ YouTube
MelvinChng @ Instagram
How to remove pattern unlock with ADB and Debugging ON [No-ROOT]
Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Galaxy Nexus
Running custom ROM and Kernel
Was using HTC Wildfire, Google Nexus S
Question? This video might help you.
360 is the largest Internet security company in China, securing >70% of the Internet users and offering free services and apps for Android, Symbian, iOS, Windows and Windows Mobile platforms users.