Sph-l720t update (there are dozens of us...dozens!)

Search This thread

rubledub

Dec 15, 2007
116.8 MB update ?

Hey all. My GF is using the 720T, currently running NC6, and she is being prompted for another update (116.8mb). I had a really hard time with this piece and ive been flashing since before I got my first G1. Anyway I am confirmed root, however, her bootloader is still locked. I attempted to flash a new rom and ended up on the hunt for PIT files to get it to boot.

What i'm really asking is any idea how to unlock the bootloader and / or unroot so i can get this update to go away???

(I know there are literally butt DOZENS of us using this device so any help is appreciated!)

JerryGNYC

Jun 28, 2010
You can't get here from there...
Hey all. My GF is using the 720T, currently running NC6, and she is being prompted for another update (116.8mb). I had a really hard time with this piece and ive been flashing since before I got my first G1. Anyway I am confirmed root, however, her bootloader is still locked. I attempted to flash a new rom and ended up on the hunt for PIT files to get it to boot.

What i'm really asking is any idea how to unlock the bootloader and / or unroot so i can get this update to go away???

(I know there are literally butt DOZENS of us using this device so any help is appreciated!)

Excellent source of info - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621862

Reactions: rubledub

rubledub

Dec 15, 2007
Any ideas why i would show root, but the bootloader showing locked? I can't seem to get anything to flash even through odin ... this phone has me a little frustrated.

As for now i guess i'm going to just download the update to NG5 and attempt to flash it manually.

JerryGNYC

Jun 28, 2010
Any ideas why i would show root, but the bootloader showing locked? I can't seem to get anything to flash even through odin ... this phone has me a little frustrated.

As for now i guess i'm going to just download the update to NG5 and attempt to flash it manually.

What have you done to confirm root? Will a program like Titanium Backup run without complaint? The OTA won't run if it detects certain changes to the phone.

Last edited:

cyrusalmighty

May 30, 2009
Hartford

How do you know the bootloader is locked on your sph-l720T? Is it from Sprint in USA? My friends came with unlocked bootloader and I was able to put twrp (custom recovery) on it. To me, this is the easiest way to know if bootloader is locked other then using no-frills cpu and Overclocking.

On the other hand My AT&T S4 is definitely locked and cannot have custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. I had to root it and install safetrap which is a work around to not using a real recovery.

Osirus71

Aug 6, 2010
Austin, Tx
Hey Jerrry...I remember you back from the HTC Evo threads...Can you recommend a stockish Rom to flash after I root my Moms new 720t????Ive been looking at the Android Development and the Origional Development threads , but all I see are Roms for the non Triband version of the S4...Man this Samsung stuff is very confusing compaired to the HTC methods and also all the modems and now two different type of S4's for the same carrier....Geeze,,,,,,,:eek:

JerryGNYC

Jun 28, 2010
Hey Jerrry...I remember you back from the HTC Evo threads...Can you recommend a stockish Rom to flash after I root my Moms new 720t????Ive been looking at the Android Development and the Origional Development threads , but all I see are Roms for the non Triband version of the S4...Man this Samsung stuff is very confusing compaired to the HTC methods and also all the modems and now two different type of S4's for the same carrier....Geeze,,,,,,,:eek:

Hey, what's up? Yeah, vice-versa. :good:

To be honest, I don't even have a custom recovery on my 720T. I'm on NC6, and kept stock (rooted) because I need the WiFi calling (#blamesprint), and like you mention, no 720T specific ROMs. I'm using a bunch of Xposed modules to get my customization, and highly recommend Wanam Xposed. In no particular order, Greenify, LeanDroid and Unbounce help with battery life.

720 ROMs supposedly work with SPARK, but you don't get the indication. If I was going to flash a custom recovery and try a ROM, the first one that I would try, because I'm a "wee" bit familiar with the dev, is (IIRC) Stockish by @rawintellect - you may remember him too from the EVO threads. He's a real stickler for detail. Only thing is, it's not KitKat, it's 4.3 - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2567353

There's a lot of good info in this thread - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621862 Ping me if you need more info!

Cheers,
-Jerry

la key

Feb 14, 2021
New York
Hi, my mother have a Galaxy S4 sph-L720T ( with T at the end ) kitkat version ( Boost Mobile )

How to know if the bootloader for the Galaxy S4 sph-L720T is unlocked ? ?

How to unlock bootloader without deleting data on the phone ? ?

How to install a custom recovery like twrp recovery, cwm recovery or other custom recovery without an unlocked bootloader ? ?

Her phone have regular stock recovery and regular stock rom and also Odin.

Can twrp recovery able to be installed through Odin without unlocking the bootloader ? ?

Installing twrp through Odin with a locked bootloader could cause the phone to brick, get messed up , delete data or anything bad ? ? .

She have the regular original stock system, NOT rooted and DONOT have usb debugging enabled in her phone.

I would greatly appreciate the help.

la key

Feb 14, 2021
New York
How do you know the bootloader is locked on your sph-l720T? Is it from Sprint in USA? My friends came with unlocked bootloader and I was able to put twrp (custom recovery) on it. To me, this is the easiest way to know if bootloader is locked other then using no-frills cpu and Overclocking.

On the other hand My AT&T S4 is definitely locked and cannot have custom recovery like CWM or TWRP. I had to root it and install safetrap which is a work around to not using a real recovery.
Hi, so the Galaxy S4 sph-L720T ( with T at the end ) kitkat version ( Boost Mobile ) comes with a Unlocked bootloader by default out of the box for sure ? ?,

so im able to install twrp custom recovery through Odin ? ?

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I would like to flash the upgrade but not sure how on the S4, I received my phone a few days and it is the L720T running android 4.3.

Can I use Odin as I haven't installed any custom recovery. I did root my 720T with saferoot and then uninstalled it using supersu. But the custom flag is still there when I go into download mode.

Do I need to get rid of the custom flag before I try to flash to 4.4.2?

I was rooted and had to re flash the stock rom.

I rooted kitkar with cf auto root. of course Knox is tripped but it already was so..

everything is working great don't have any problems at all

for new people I uploaded the update on page 2
    Do you by any chance have the tar file for NAF?

Here is my dropbox with both NAF & NC6

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/gj4e6ruzcjvbubi/a_m1HR7sHS
    While I realize it is relatively few to SPH-L720, I wanted to make a thread specific for the update ending with NAF for the triband variant,
    the SPH-L720T.

While you may argue there is already a thread for the update, most of the userss are L720 not L720T, so the questions from L720T users keep getting drown out by others.

First order of business, though it has been asked but it has gotten no reply that I am aware of, has anyone gotten the OTA for the triband variant?

If so, can it be uploaded and distributed? It will be interesting to see if all the problems such as the sd card and rooting are the same.
    I have the "T" model, and no OTA for me thus far.

I have rooted and installed some xPosed apps, but no custom recovery or rom. I'm hoping for 4.4.2 this week or so

Sent from my SPH-L720T using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Excellent source of info - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2621862