[DIY] "Brushed Metal (-esque)" Battery Door

Search This thread

AardvarkAdventure

Mar 25, 2011
It seems like the #1 complaint about the Nexus S is the shiny plastic battery door- well I, like others, decided to do something about it. I started by seeking out a can of the now-ubiquitous, slightly infamous PlastiDip.

No luck.

Instead, I wound up with a similar product by 3M. On the downside, it sucked. The upside? It was not possible to "peel it off," which is often mentioned as a benefit [and the main shortcoming] of PlastiDip. Removing it required long soaks in acetone, and a lot of scrubbing & scraping. [I do want to note, however, that the 3M undercoating spray could probably work quite well for someone with the time to figure out when, after spraying, to roll the surface flat].

Anyway, here's what I ended up with / resorted to / etc. It looks fantastic!

done.jpg

done3.jpg

Steps:

1. Wetsand like crazy with 60 grit paper. The shiny black layer is surprisingly resilient. Once you're through it in one spot, you'll see what you're trying to achieve in this step.
2. Wetsand like crazy with 150 grit paper. The goal here is to smooth out the inconsistencies left by the 60 grit paper. Note- you are not trying to eliminate all striations.
3. Wetsand in a linear fashion with 150 grit paper.
4. Sand normally in a linear fashion with 150 grit paper.
5. Rinse.
6. Dry.
7. Rub some chapstick on it like it's car wax. Buff it like its's car wax. Repeat like it's car wax. Or maybe use car wax(?).
8. Admire your handiwork.
9. Get angry with Google for these stupid Justin Beiber commercials.

That's it! Takes very little time.

Be reckless. You're getting a Nexus Prime soon anyway.

Higher resolution pics....I'm not a photographer!:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22487748/phone/IMG_9519.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22487748/phone/IMG_9520.JPG
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22487748/phone/IMG_9521.JPG

Last edited:

AardvarkAdventure

Mar 25, 2011
Looks awesome man, when my cover gets really scratched I will do this.

Thanks for the positive feedback! The surface ends up feeling a lot like a soft-touch, rubberized finish, btw.

That reminds me- one huge "plus" of going with this method over PlastiDip is that any future scratches can be fixed by a simple swipe of 150 grit.

Now if I could just find a Google or Nexus stencil, I'd spray it on with the 3M stuff and be super happy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sean-El

danboard

Dec 26, 2009
Vancouver
Damn that looks amazing I think I'll buy a 2nd battery cover just to try it.

You should spray it with a matte clear coat.

Last edited:

AardvarkAdventure

Mar 25, 2011
Damn that looks amazing I think I'll buy a 2nd battery cover just to try it.

You should stray it with a matte clear coat.

Thanks! I was thinking about covering it with the Invisible Sheild Dry back protector, but I'm not sure it's worth the money considering any damage can be buffed out in about one minute

Ehhhh, who am I kidding? I'll probably do it.

stexyn

Jan 18, 2010
Ok, I think I will try soon.
If I understand fine (my english is not perfect):
- use 60 grit paper (is the most coarse-grained right?)
- use 150 grit paper
- wash and dry
- use a kind of product I don't understand this

PS: do you have hq pictures?

AardvarkAdventure

Mar 25, 2011
Ok, I think I will try soon.
If I understand fine (my english is not perfect):
- use 60 grit paper (is the most coarse-grained right?)
- use 150 grit paper
- wash and dry
- use a kind of product I don't understand this

PS: do you have hq pictures?

Make sure you sand under warm, running water, adding soap occasionally and changing your sandpaper frequently. This will make the process a lot easier. Only sand with the surface dry at the very end, to put the final finish on the plastic.

If you can, sand in vertical motions the entire time. I became impatient and used the 60 grit in a circular motion to get through the layer of shiny black plastic. This didn't damage the finish product, but it meant I had to spent more time sanding out the curved lines I had left.

Chapstick is an extremely common product in the US; it's just a waxy substance meant for chapped lips. The type of wax you would use on a car would work just as well. To be honest, I don't think this step is even necessary, but it seemed like a good idea.

I will add more detailed pictures to the original post in a few minutes!

madeincanon

Jun 24, 2011
Jacksonville
I just tried it on mine and it looks great! I had a spare battery cover that I wasn't using, so I said what the hell. I still need to do a bit more sanding to get it perfect though.

Thanks for the tutorial! :D

Attachments

• IMG_9071.jpg
    IMG_9071.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 3,338
  • IMG_9072.jpg
    IMG_9072.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 2,998
  • IMG_9078.jpg
    IMG_9078.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 2,409
  • IMG_9080.jpg
    IMG_9080.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 2,355
  • IMG_9073.jpg
    IMG_9073.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 2,287
Last edited:
Reactions: tmuka and Zlatty

willverduzco

User Experience Admin
Staff member
Apr 30, 2010
Manassas, VA
Wow. This looks fantastic. I am actually considering doing this to my "limited edition" Nexus. Perhaps I should try to find a standard cover first, though...

AardvarkAdventure

Mar 25, 2011
I just tried it on mine and it looks great! I had a spare battery cover that I want using, so I said what the hell. I still need to do a bit more sanding to get it perfect though.

Nice! It looks great man. I'm really glad someone else did it and was happy with the result.

The best part about doing this is that it actually makes the phone more scratch resistant; I don't have to worry at all about sliding it in and out of my car cradle or anything like that anymore.

How long did it take you? I had to kind of ballpark the amount of time this requires since I had no idea what I was going for when I did it myself, haha.

Last edited:

madeincanon

Jun 24, 2011
Jacksonville
The best part about doing this is that it actually makes the phone more scratch resistant; I don't have to worry at all about sliding it in and out of my car cradle or anything like that anymore.

How long did it take you? I had to kind of ballpark the amount of time this requires since I had no idea what I was going for when I did it myself, haha.

Thanks! And I know! All you would have to do is just buff any scratches out and you're fine.

It really only took me about 45 minutes overall. The chapstick idea was genius. That really helped with making it look polished. It almost feels like wood lol.

stexyn

Jan 18, 2010
I just tried it on mine and it looks great! I had a spare battery cover that I wasn't using, so I said what the hell. I still need to do a bit more sanding to get it perfect though.

Looks fantastic!
Can you explain me exactly how you do?

Guys about chapstick, do you mean the Lip chapstick? :confused:
If you use chapstick it greases all the cover no?

Last edited:

madeincanon

Jun 24, 2011
Jacksonville
Looks fantastic!
Can you explain me exactly how you do?

Guys about chapstick, do you mean the Lip chapstick? :confused:
If you use chapstick it greases all the cover no?

Thanks!

I pretty much followed the instructions that Aardvark gave. I wet sanded with 60 grit until most of the shiny polish came off, and then finished all the corners and edges by wet sanding with 150 grit.

Then I dried it off and started dry sanding with 150, trying to sand as straight as possible. Then washed with soap (because my hands were black as well) and dried.

Yes, it's lip chapstick. It looks greasy at first, but once you rub it in for a minute and let it dry, it looks perfect.

Hope that helps!

Sent from my Nexus S 4G using xda premium

Last edited:

stexyn

Jan 18, 2010
Sorry, another little question:
I have to buy the sandpaper.
How much I have to buy?
I mean it needs a little piece of sandpaper or it consumes a lot?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    It seems like the #1 complaint about the Nexus S is the shiny plastic battery door- well I, like others, decided to do something about it. I started by seeking out a can of the now-ubiquitous, slightly infamous PlastiDip.

No luck.

Instead, I wound up with a similar product by 3M. On the downside, it sucked. The upside? It was not possible to "peel it off," which is often mentioned as a benefit [and the main shortcoming] of PlastiDip. Removing it required long soaks in acetone, and a lot of scrubbing & scraping. [I do want to note, however, that the 3M undercoating spray could probably work quite well for someone with the time to figure out when, after spraying, to roll the surface flat].

Anyway, here's what I ended up with / resorted to / etc. It looks fantastic!

done.jpg

done3.jpg

Steps:

1. Wetsand like crazy with 60 grit paper. The shiny black layer is surprisingly resilient. Once you're through it in one spot, you'll see what you're trying to achieve in this step.
    2. Wetsand like crazy with 150 grit paper. The goal here is to smooth out the inconsistencies left by the 60 grit paper. Note- you are not trying to eliminate all striations.
    3. Wetsand in a linear fashion with 150 grit paper.
    4. Sand normally in a linear fashion with 150 grit paper.
    5. Rinse.
    6. Dry.
    7. Rub some chapstick on it like it's car wax. Buff it like its's car wax. Repeat like it's car wax. Or maybe use car wax(?).
    8. Admire your handiwork.
    9. Get angry with Google for these stupid Justin Beiber commercials.

That's it! Takes very little time.

Be reckless. You're getting a Nexus Prime soon anyway.

Higher resolution pics....I'm not a photographer!:
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22487748/phone/IMG_9519.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22487748/phone/IMG_9520.JPG
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/22487748/phone/IMG_9521.JPG
    Hmm...accidental repeated post and I'm having trouble deleting it, so here's a picture of my dog:

IMG_20110725_164102-picsay.jpg

Looks awesome man, when my cover gets really scratched I will do this.

Thanks for the positive feedback! The surface ends up feeling a lot like a soft-touch, rubberized finish, btw.

That reminds me- one huge "plus" of going with this method over PlastiDip is that any future scratches can be fixed by a simple swipe of 150 grit.

Now if I could just find a Google or Nexus stencil, I'd spray it on with the 3M stuff and be super happy.
    Hi man it looks great!
    I try to remove google and samsung logo by this thread http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=17905924#post17905924
    but I screatch the cover.
    Maybe I can try your mod