[Q] SD card doesn't work after sometime, only restart solve the problem

Search This thread

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014
Hello,
I don't know why, it seems that my SD card doesn't work after sometime. I could not update the apps installed in the SD card, i could not save photos to the SD card. After a restart, the SD Works again, until sometime later the problem appears again.
(I used nextapp SDfix to unlock the SD card.)
Does anyone else has the same problem?
Thanks,
Martin

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
Without any more info on the problem, such as SD card type, size, etc, can't give much info.

Did the SD card work fine and this problem just started up? Does the SD card work in other phones or PCs without the problem? It could be a bootleg card, as I had the same problem with the SD being mounted but not reading or writing any files to it, turned out the 64GB card was actually 7GB and files were being overwritten.

Also, some have had problems with the SD card slot on the G3 and had to have it swapped with another device with the new device not having any problems.

Reactions: martin.mts

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014
Without any more info on the problem, such as SD card type, size, etc, can't give much info.

Did the SD card work fine and this problem just started up? Does the SD card work in other phones or PCs without the problem? It could be a bootleg card, as I had the same problem with the SD being mounted but not reading or writing any files to it, turned out the 64GB card was actually 7GB and files were being overwritten.

Also, some have had problems with the SD card slot on the G3 and had to have it swapped with another device with the new device not having any problems.

Sorry, I should have given more details.
I don't know which information is the brand, it says "Micro SD, HC" on the SD card. Is "HC" the brand? I bought if from ebay. It was one of the cheapest I could found. Here is the link "ebay[dot]com/itm/151331959313?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649"

The card worked fine. I used the Adapter inserted in a SD card reader, and then copied files to the card. The capacity is 64 GB. The cellphone can also recognize its capacity.

I haven't used in other phones, cause I don't have other phones that can used micro SD card.

the problem just randomly appears. I may work fine for hours or even days. Then I could not save pictures to the SD card. I could not move pictures to the SD card. I could not update apps that were moved to SD card...I could still open those apps, though.

after a reboot, everything will work just fine again.

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
That's a knockoff brand, a bootleg. More than likely, it is NOT a 64GB card and most likely a 4GB or 7GB card that is programmed to make it "read" as a 64GB card.

The fact that it doesn't have a name or brand is also a giveaway (HC is the class/type of card, though I doubt it is with this card).

To find out exactly what size this card is and if there are any read errors and bad sectors (which there will be), try H2TestW and run the program on your PC with the SD card inserted.

It reads and writes to the whole card and finds out exactly how large it actually is and if, where and how many bad sectors and reads there are on it.

I had the same thing happen to me with two SD cards I bought on eBay. They said they were 64GB Samsung Pro cards, I copied over my files and pics and said it was fine. But the G3 kept having errors, wouldn't see it, pics were showing as corrupted and files were just disappearing. Looked around online, found that program, ran it and saw that my 64GB cards were actually 7GB with numerous bad sectors. Filed a claim with eBay seller, got my money back, bought two Samsung Pro EVO 64GB on Amazaon, ran the same tests, actual 64GB cards, not a single error, never had a problem with them or the G3 again.

I would also open a claim about the eBay seller over a fake item or Not As Described, to get your money back.

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014
That's a knockoff brand, a bootleg. More than likely, it is NOT a 64GB card and most likely a 4GB or 7GB card that is programmed to make it "read" as a 64GB card.

The fact that it doesn't have a name or brand is also a giveaway (HC is the class/type of card, though I doubt it is with this card).

To find out exactly what size this card is and if there are any read errors and bad sectors (which there will be), try H2TestW and run the program on your PC with the SD card inserted.

It reads and writes to the whole card and finds out exactly how large it actually is and if, where and how many bad sectors and reads there are on it.

I had the same thing happen to me with two SD cards I bought on eBay. They said they were 64GB Samsung Pro cards, I copied over my files and pics and said it was fine. But the G3 kept having errors, wouldn't see it, pics were showing as corrupted and files were just disappearing. Looked around online, found that program, ran it and saw that my 64GB cards were actually 7GB with numerous bad sectors. Filed a claim with eBay seller, got my money back, bought two Samsung Pro EVO 64GB on Amazaon, ran the same tests, actual 64GB cards, not a single error, never had a problem with them or the G3 again.

I would also open a claim about the eBay seller over a fake item or Not As Described, to get your money back.

You are right!
Here is the result:

Warning: Only 21590 of 63912 MByte tested.
The media is likely to be defective.
7.6 GByte OK (16035043 sectors)
13.4 GByte DATA LOST (28181277 sectors)
Details:0 KByte overwritten (0 sectors)
0 KByte slightly changed (< 8 bit/sector, 0 sectors)
13.4 GByte corrupted (28181277 sectors)
0 KByte aliased memory (0 sectors)
First error at offset: 0x00000001db4f8e00
Expected: 0x00000001db4f8e00
Found: 0x0000000000000000
H2testw version 1.3
Reading speed: 8.32 MByte/s
H2testw v1.4

But I cannot understand the result. Can you tell me how much capacity it has? 21.590 GB or 7.6 GB?
As soon as I know, I will open a case.
Thanks!

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
Your card only has 7.6 GByte, as you can see in the results. It said it "tested" 21GB, but notice the next line after the 7.6GB, it says 13.4GB was lost, which means it never existed or was corrupted. That's how those two numbers gave the 21GB result.

And as always, you can hit the "Thanks" button, if need be.

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014
Your card only has 7.6 GByte, as you can see in the results. It said it "tested" 21GB, but notice the next line after the 7.6GB, it says 13.4GB was lost, which means it never existed or was corrupted. That's how those two numbers gave the 21GB result.

Thanks! I'm new to the forum. I did not know there is a 'Thanks' button.
I tested again. This time, it tested 63+ GB, and the result showed only 7.6 GB again. all the 56+GB were corrupted.

I have opened a case. But the seller replied that 14 days have past, therefore they cannot refund or send me a new one.
I have to respond and point out that the product is a fake one, with only 8GB claiming to have 64GB.
What else can I do? Did you get the refund?

I bought something else that was not satisfying before. The seller asked me to send it back. But I have to pay shipping fee. and the shipping fee was almost about the price of the product. I had to give up...

If I return this, the shipping fee would be just like the price of the SD card. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks again.

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
I tested again. This time, it tested 63+ GB, and the result showed only 7.6 GB again. all the 56+GB were corrupted.

I have opened a case. But the seller replied that 14 days have past, therefore they cannot refund or send me a new one.
I have to respond and point out that the product is a fake one, with only 8GB claiming to have 64GB.

I bought something else that was not satisfying before. The seller asked me to send it back. But I have to pay shipping fee. and the shipping fee was almost about the price of the product. I had to give up...

If I return this, the shipping fee would be just like the price of the SD card. Do you have any suggestion?
Thanks again.

If you bought it on eBay, open a a Resolution Case against them, listing the fact that's it's not as described and defective/broken and a bootleg item.

He'll then have to reply back, asking you to return it or offer a refund. If he wants you to return it, he is suppose to supply the return shipping label, so you don't have to pay to return it.

If he asks for it to be returned AND doesn't send a shipping label, escalate it to Customer Support, saying again what the problem is and there is no shipping label to return it and that's it a fake.

CS will then issue you a S&H label (and charge it to the seller) or, if they believe it is a bootleg item, issue you a refund and have you destroy the card and possibly supply evidence of its destruction.

I had to go through the same thing with the SD cards I got, the seller wouldn't respond till I opened a case, then said he'll send a replacement, which I didn't ask nor want, just my refund. CSR said the seller is to supply a S&H label, if not, for me to escalate and CSR would issue a label or issue a refund.

Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
I might just also say, as he's sold over 1,500 of them, you wouldn't be the only one out there having this problem... I'd get onto opening a case against him ASAP, and make sure to tell eBay that he's sold over 1,500 defective cards, they'll get real mad at him for that. Make sure you supply the evidence from the program scanning the card to prove it really is only a 7GB card. If he's sold 1.5k "64gb" cards and they aren't really 64GB (which they aren't) then chances are eBay would remove his account.
TL;DR: You're not the only one affected, tell eBay and provide proof that he's selling fake cards to thousands of people.

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014
Thanks a lot, JustLok and iDefalt. Your suggestions have been very helpful!

I have been contacting with the seller.
The seller did not want to pay the shipping fee.
I have replied to him that if he insists not paying, I will escalate it to the Customer Support (after 3 business days according to the rule).
At that time I will tell that this product might be a bootleg.

I've tried to be polite to the seller. To start the conversation, I said the product was not as described. I asked the seller if this could be a exception of his products.
He said 14 days have past, therefore, no refund.

Then, I frankly said that the product is a defective one.
He then agreed to refund, and gave me the address.

I asked him to issue a return label. I also offered him an alternative: to avoid paying the shipping fee, just refund to me, and I will destroy the SD card, then send him a picture as a proof.
He said according to the policy, I have to pay.

I then replied that the case is not that the product is good but I dislike it, but the product is defective. I was deceived. Therefore he should pay the shipping fee.

Now I am waiting for his respond.
If he still does not want to pay the shipping fee, I will escalate it to the Customer Support.

I will update it to let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot for your help.

If you bought it on eBay, open a a Resolution Case against them, listing the fact that's it's not as described and defective/broken and a bootleg item.

He'll then have to reply back, asking you to return it or offer a refund. If he wants you to return it, he is suppose to supply the return shipping label, so you don't have to pay to return it.

If he asks for it to be returned AND doesn't send a shipping label, escalate it to Customer Support, saying again what the problem is and there is no shipping label to return it and that's it a fake.

CS will then issue you a S&H label (and charge it to the seller) or, if they believe it is a bootleg item, issue you a refund and have you destroy the card and possibly supply evidence of its destruction.

I had to go through the same thing with the SD cards I got, the seller wouldn't respond till I opened a case, then said he'll send a replacement, which I didn't ask nor want, just my refund. CSR said the seller is to supply a S&H label, if not, for me to escalate and CSR would issue a label or issue a refund.

I might just also say, as he's sold over 1,500 of them, you wouldn't be the only one out there having this problem... I'd get onto opening a case against him ASAP, and make sure to tell eBay that he's sold over 1,500 defective cards, they'll get real mad at him for that. Make sure you supply the evidence from the program scanning the card to prove it really is only a 7GB card. If he's sold 1.5k "64gb" cards and they aren't really 64GB (which they aren't) then chances are eBay would remove his account.
TL;DR: You're not the only one affected, tell eBay and provide proof that he's selling fake cards to thousands of people.

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
Just stay on top of him martin.mts, and I forgot to mention you might need to supply pictures of the SD card test results to Customer Support, just as iDefalt mentioned.

I'm pretty sure you're not the only person or buyer to contact him about defective, misleading and bootleg cards, so he probably has a game and system set up to avoid refunds or replacements.

Redline

Retired Forum Moderator
Aug 12, 2014
Victoria, Australia
twitch.tv
Just stay on top of him martin.mts, and I forgot to mention you might need to supply pictures of the SD card test results to Customer Support, just as iDefalt mentioned.

I'm pretty sure you're not the only person or buyer to contact him about defective, misleading and bootleg cards, so he probably has a game and system set up to avoid refunds or replacements.

Yeah providing proof of the fact that the card is a bootleg is definitely a good idea :good:

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014

Just an update.
I escalated it to the CS tonight. And after a little time, i received an email, saying that the seller sent me the refund, without asking me to ship back the item.
I don't know what the CS will do after the refund, since I have mentioned the item might be a bootleg, and more buyers might be deceived. And I can ship the micro SD card to them for inspection if they want.
Looks like it is up to the CS now.
If there is any further progress, I will post it here.

Thanks a lot all guys who have helped!

Martin

martin.mts

Aug 1, 2014
Just an update.
I escalated it to the CS tonight. And after a little time, i received an email, saying that the seller sent me the refund, without asking me to ship back the item.
I don't know what the CS will do after the refund, since I have mentioned the item might be a bootleg, and more buyers might be deceived. And I can ship the micro SD card to them for inspection if they want.
Looks like it is up to the CS now.
If there is any further progress, I will post it here.

Thanks a lot all guys who have helped!

Martin

Looks like the CS will not do anything anymore. The case was closed.

JustLok

Jan 28, 2010
Yeah, once you get a full refund for the item, you usually do not need to send the item back and that's the end of the case. You can keep, destroy or discard the SD cards, however you wish.

Also, as with my case, you can go to the original eBay listing and just above the main description area, on the right side, click on "Report item" and then through those options, report it as being a bootleg/defective/counterfeit item.

I did the same with my item and eBay finally pulled the listing down after 2 weeks! Of course, it probably took a few reports for them to do anything about it, but it's still something you can do to try and delist it.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Thanks again.