[TIP] Force all apps to SD on FROYO

Search This thread

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
Ok so my main problem is that I want to move apps like FB and some of the other 'system' apps to SD. The above solution works fine for most downloaded apps but it still eats up local storage space.

How do I force even the greyed out ones to move to SD.
I have a Desire running Froyo and not rooted.

System apps are in /system. User-installed apps and data are in /data. They are not the same partition. /system is of course limited in some ways, but apps in /system are not taking away "Internal phone storage" available space.

I am using ''app 2 SD'' free app from the market, very easy to use but only 1/3 of the apps can be moved

So that's the whole point of this thread, is it not? Do the commands and you can move any of them. Just don't move anything that runs all of the time or has widgets you use.

jimdriver2

Aug 4, 2009
I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I did the trick to set the default installation setting to the SD card, enabling me to move a load of apps. It worked perfectly for ages however yesterday about 5 apps were updating and got stuck 'installing' and I had to turn the phone off.

From that point on it wouldn't allow me to install or update apps. I have to change the location of an app to the phone, update it, and then move it back to the SD. That works for apps already on the phone, but if I try to put anything new on it just fails to install because it's trying to go the SD by default.

I think I must have broken something, and i'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere which can be refreshed or something.

Any advice would be great thanks!

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I'm hoping someone here can help me.

I did the trick to set the default installation setting to the SD card, enabling me to move a load of apps. It worked perfectly for ages however yesterday about 5 apps were updating and got stuck 'installing' and I had to turn the phone off.

From that point on it wouldn't allow me to install or update apps. I have to change the location of an app to the phone, update it, and then move it back to the SD. That works for apps already on the phone, but if I try to put anything new on it just fails to install because it's trying to go the SD by default.

I think I must have broken something, and i'm hoping it's just a setting somewhere which can be refreshed or something.

Any advice would be great thanks!

This has nothing to do with Apps2SD, usually you can just cancel or kill the Market app.

Try going into Settings->Applications, find the Market app, and clear data there.

jimdriver2

Aug 4, 2009
This has nothing to do with Apps2SD, usually you can just cancel or kill the Market app.

Try going into Settings->Applications, find the Market app, and clear data there.

I tried killing market off. Even deleted all the data so I had to go through all the initial confirm stuff again. Didn't make any difference.

To put it a different way basically the problem is when apps attempt to install/update direct to the SD card the installation they fail. Once they're on though they can be moved to the SD and it will work fine.

Surely there is something I can just clear or reset to deal with what's causing the install to problem.

khaytsus

Apr 8, 2008
Central Kentucky
I tried killing market off. Even deleted all the data so I had to go through all the initial confirm stuff again. Didn't make any difference.

To put it a different way basically the problem is when apps attempt to install/update direct to the SD card the installation they fail. Once they're on though they can be moved to the SD and it will work fine.

Surely there is something I can just clear or reset to deal with what's causing the install to problem.

Ah, I never saw that when I was using App2SD. Hope you can figure it out, toggling that bit on and off is kind of annoying, I did it for about a month. :)

kingars

Nov 10, 2008
Salvador
twitter.com
Ok, Froyo support instalation on SD card, but... If i install one app with 12mb, and move to sdcard, 9mb go to sd card, and the rest remains in the main memory. How place everything in the sd card?

Chahk

Apr 11, 2009
New York
Samsung Galaxy Z Fold 5
Ok, Froyo support instalation on SD card, but... If i install one app with 12mb, and move to sdcard, 9mb go to sd card, and the rest remains in the main memory. How place everything in the sd card?

You cannot. Part of the app stays on internal memory.

Of course you can always root and use the Apps2SD script that puts all of the apps on a Ext partition of your SD card.

begemoth.ch

Mar 3, 2012
shell

Avec un emulateur de terminal comme Terminal emulator, on peut saisir la commande directement :
pm setInstallLocation 2 sans passer par l'installation du SDK et tout le toutim'

S3nd41

Nov 8, 2010
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series
I executed the command and checked it using "adb shell pm getInstallLocation" (reported 2 [sdcard]) but still apps get installed to the internal memory (and yes, the apps are movable to the SD), I read on another post here in XDA that this command doesn't work on stock roms. Is that so? Please advise!

adulfo

Apr 26, 2012
Pagadian City
I executed the command and checked it using "adb shell pm getInstallLocation" (reported 2 [sdcard]) but still apps get installed to the internal memory (and yes, the apps are movable to the SD), I read on another post here in XDA that this command doesn't work on stock roms. Is that so? Please advise!
try adb shell pm set-install-location 2.

Menelkir

Jul 30, 2010
Porto Alegre
menelkir.itroll.org
Avec un emulateur de terminal comme Terminal emulator, on peut saisir la commande directement :
pm setInstallLocation 2 sans passer par l'installation du SDK et tout le toutim'

http://xdaforums.com/announcement.php?a=81

4. Use the English language.

We understand that with all the different nationalities not everyone speaks English well, but please try. If you're really unable to post in English use an online translator, You're free to include your original message in your own language below the English translation.

:p

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I ran a cross this little tip to force all apps to be installed on SD.

Unlock move to SD card for existing apps:
    adb shell
    pm setInstallLocation 2
    Remember people, apps that need root will not work ;)