Bicycle mount

Search This thread

mmace

Feb 11, 2009
Leeds
I cycle to and from work every day, I always had my Desire mounted to my handlebars using this mount
does anyone know of any for the Optimus 3D?
I don't trust the universal ones, I'm after one that is specific to this phone so I know it will hold it tight, preferable so I can film my commute too (like I did on the Desire)

Anyone seen anything?

mmace

Feb 11, 2009
Leeds
I've ordered on from eBay for £8 delivered (from Hong Kong). It's made specifically for the phone, I'll report back once it's arrived and I've tried it

mmace

Feb 11, 2009
Leeds
truly awful!
the mount doesn't fit any handlebars I've seen and the bit the phone goes in is too small, certainly not made specifically for the phone!

dave79

Apr 27, 2008
London
Tweak it

I haven't tried this on O3D but have successfully used bike mounts on Optimus P500 and Motorola Defy (really good to use for both navigation and sports apps).

I did purchase one of those universal bike mounts, and it was TERRIBLE. So instead I got a hold of an original LG car mount. The piece itself which holds the phone snaps off from from the rest of the mount.

From the universal mount I pretty much just cut off anything but the piece which mounts the handle bar. I then melted the the plastic from both the original "snap on" piece and the universal mount, pressed them together, and then separated them. They now had a good fit, so I super glued the pieces together and man! the result is beyond what I could've hoped for.

It's very durable, doesn't take up a ton of space (unlike the universal monsters of mounts).

When I "melted" the pieces together I ensured to also include the slide on mechanism to release the mount. Therefore I can now get the O3D original car holder and just snap it on to my bike.

In order to do this, you will have to take a risk... but it was clearly worth it for me. I've used it a lot, both off road and on road.

I'll send a pic of it if you want.

becurious

Aug 8, 2011
I'd really like to see one or two pictures of your custom made mount.
I'm in need of a sturdy solution as well.

dave79

Apr 27, 2008
London
Will attempt taking some pics tomorrow, but only if the weather permits :) Quite stormy around London at this time.

becurious

Aug 8, 2011
Will attempt taking some pics tomorrow, but only if the weather permits :) Quite stormy around London at this time.

So, you're from London!
My Home Team will face Chelsea FC in this year's CL final.
Hope your pics will exceed C's display in the forthcoming game.
;)

Last edited:

dave79

Apr 27, 2008
London
Pictures..

Here they are.
So, I was too lazy to put the P920 holder, so the P500 displayed in the pictures. It's the same type of clip attachment as the original P920 adapter... very easy to attach any LG device, as long as you have an original car mount.

Displayed on picture 2, is the assembly of a universal bike mount, cut into pieces and then a glued/melted original LG lock plate. So that any original LG car mount holder can be attached.

I've mostly used the P500 adapter with my old phone, and I've been going hard off road with my phone never coming off! It just works. The universal adapter I originally purchased was terrible keeping the phone steady.

The key to getting the mount secure was to get a tight fit, having the phone as close to the bar as possible. I was a little scared of sacrificing an original car mount, but it really paid off!

Attachments

• IMG019.jpg
    IMG019.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG020.jpg
    IMG020.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 146
  • IMG023.jpg
    IMG023.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG024.jpg
    IMG024.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
For those of us not so much into the diy thing (or for those like me who would end up paying almost as high as that buying the original lg car mount.. ) :

image in the attachment..

btw, it shows the optimus one, but seems to be the right thing as far as the description goes ;)

Attachments

• main_P1010594.jpg
    main_P1010594.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 104