[Q] Nexus 7 2013 not booting

Search This thread

Ultra_Saucy

Apr 10, 2013
So I just bought a nexus 7 off of amazon(used). When I first turned it on, I got the google logo, and it stayed on until I held the power button. It then was blank, and then the google logo showed for about 10 seconds, and then it goes blank, 10 seconds, then blank, ect. unless I go into the bootloader.(it might be worth mentioning that the little unlocked lock icon appears under the google logo.) After I got into the bootloader, I shut the device down and waited for a while(maybe 15 minutes). Then i tried to reboot, and it successfully booted. However, before i could get into the settings to check what version of android it was running, it reboot and got stuck at the google logo again. Is it possible to fix this, or is there a hardware problem? Thanks.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
So I just bought a nexus 7 off of amazon(used). When I first turned it on, I got the google logo, and it stayed on until I held the power button. It then was blank, and then the google logo showed for about 10 seconds, and then it goes blank, 10 seconds, then blank, ect. unless I go into the bootloader.(it might be worth mentioning that the little unlocked lock icon appears under the google logo.) After I got into the bootloader, I shut the device down and waited for a while(maybe 15 minutes). Then i tried to reboot, and it successfully booted. However, before i could get into the settings to check what version of android it was running, it reboot and got stuck at the google logo again. Is it possible to fix this, or is there a hardware problem? Thanks.

Have you tried flashing the factory image yet? If I ever bought a used Nexus device, even if it were functional, flashing the factory image would be the very first thing I would do. You never know what the previous owner may have flashed onto it, which is evident by the fact that he/she had already unlocked it. I would say since it's already unlocked, just flash the latest factory image and to make double sure, boot into recovery after flashing and "wipe data/factory data reset." It's a good sign that it at least boots, but you won't know until flashing the factory image.

charesa39

Aug 19, 2013
Orange County, CA
OK, so what is the best way to flash the new image?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Free mobile app

Check out the OP in this thread from the Nexus 5 forums: http://xdaforums.com/google-nexus-5/general/tutorial-how-to-flash-factory-image-t2513701. Although it's for the N5, it is pretty much the exact same procedure for the the Nexus 7 (2013) (and Nexus 10). Basically, you'll need to install the ADB/Fastboot drivers to make sure your device is detected properly while in the Bootloader. Then, you can just flash the factory image. You can use Method 1 in the OP of that thread. MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD THE CORRECT FACTORY IMAGE. You can find the latest factory image here: https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images. The WiFi only model is "razor," while the LTE model is "razorg."

Reactions: Ultra_Saucy

Ultra_Saucy

Apr 10, 2013
Ok so I flashed version 4.4.4 onto my device, and it seems to be working perfectly, but how can I root it to intsall other roms? I couldnt find anything on rooting 4.4.4, so is it too new?

Ultra_Saucy

Apr 10, 2013
Ok so I have Ben using my nexus 7 for about a fday after I flashed the stock ROM, and it started acting up again ( I didn't root it). It crashed, and then would not boot. Should I try to reflash the stock ROM again, or is there a hardware problem?

LinearEquation

Aug 26, 2013
Midwest
Ok so I have Ben using my nexus 7 for about a fday after I flashed the stock ROM, and it started acting up again ( I didn't root it). It crashed, and then would not boot. Should I try to reflash the stock ROM again, or is there a hardware problem?

Confirm you have the right image and try flashing again. Make sure to wipe dalvik and cache too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 Flo running Paranoid Android 4.4.4 using XDA premium 4 mobile app

Ultra_Saucy

Apr 10, 2013
How do I wipe the dalvik cache? Also, I used the image from googles Dev site, and I am sure it is the right one.

Top Liked Posts