Serial Number Unkown

Search This thread

louvass

Sep 24, 2010
GS Return Update

So I return my prime that won't do the OTA update to 33. The new serial number has the same first 6 and the number following is lower than what I had. But I was prompted for an OTA update. Where on the prime is the serial number so I can see if it's in there. After an Hr charge I will try and redo the update

Update:
I received the 33 update and all seems well. Still no GPS (oh yea it don't have GPS) ;) Wireless seems the same but its fine. If you bought it and can't get that OTA, bring it back get another and hopefully you get a good one. Seems hit or miss to me.

Last edited:

Scumbag Inc.

May 21, 2010
Austin, TX
I would hate to send it back. My unit is perfect except for this damn serial number. I guess it was to good to be true.

Just got off the phone with Asus. I'm going to RMA it. -sigh-
I did have them leave a note on the RMA requesting ICS when they do a reflash. :(

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
I'm willing to be none of the no serial number guys can gain root with nachoroot, seems the system doesn't fully start.

anilkuj

Jul 25, 2007
jersey city
Thats correct jcase when i try to root the system reboots and when it is about to be rooted i get device not found
I used the viperboy tool
Is there anything that can be done abt this ?

Thanks

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

djsaad1

Mar 18, 2010
i am wondering if the ics update would fix this, wouldn't the ics update format system?

anilkuj

Jul 25, 2007
jersey city
I have owned galaxy tab 10.1 before , we used odin tool on that even on a locked bootloader to flash stox rom cwm etc

Is there similar tool for asus?

Sent from my Transformer Prime TF201 using xda premium

We can add me to that list, got it from best buy on the 23rd, delivered on the 27th, came with .27 firmware, updated tonight to .29 manually.
Unable to get updates and cannot play glow ball or other items as the tablet is overall sluggish.

Definitely a cluster fudge on this one.

tshoulihane

Jun 16, 2010
Redmi Note 12 5G
Outside chance - maybe nvflash will work on these if the SBK isn't burnt in? When you start nvflash (assuming you have the right version) you get some data back from the SOC about the fuses that are blown. It would be interesting to check if these are the same as for all the other units.

biggem001

Sep 20, 2010
TO ALL OF YOU WHOM HAVE THE SERIAL BUG

Return your device and get a new one while you have your 2-4 week period.
Bought it online? Trust me, yell enough and they'll send you another and you send the broken one back.

just return it! it could cause problems with ICS updates..

doeboy711

Dec 12, 2009
Owings, MD
I've rooted mine using viperboys tool. I've installed su app but I haven't been able to test it out with an app yet. To tired last night. I had a problem at first rooting it until I enabled us debugging on it.

Guybor

May 3, 2011
Davenport
TO ALL OF YOU WHOM HAVE THE SERIAL BUG

Return your device and get a new one while you have your 2-4 week period.
Bought it online? Trust me, yell enough and they'll send you another and you send the broken one back.

just return it! it could cause problems with ICS updates..

That's what I'm doing. They are back in stock at Best Buy so I just ordered another one. Expediated shipping so should see it tomorrow/Monday. If it works great, the no serial number one is going back still inside my 14 day limit.

Scumbag Inc.

May 21, 2010
Austin, TX
In order to get ICS you would have to get updates in the first place, which is kind-of a problem.

I was able to update to .29 just fine using the sdcard method. This is assuming Asus puts it on their website.
But I will be RMAing it to Asus nevertheless.

Update: Just got of the phone with Abt. The guy I spoke to immediately knew what I was talking about (talked more about the .33 bricking issue) and said Asus is just sending out new units. Abt made a note on my account to extend my return policy (love those guys) and said to try Asus first. Asus said the turn around should be about 7 days.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I bought mine from Gamestop and I don't have a serial number as well and no OTA updates either.
    I was on .27 when I receieved my prime on the 28th. I ran the updater many times and it told me that tehre was no update available. So I found out that I can update it by going to Asus support. So I downloaded the .29 update from the website and installed it. Now since the .33 has been out for about 2 days now and mine still doesn't see an update. It seems to me like the people w/o serial numbers are getting f@cked!
    Where can one spot a first glance telltale sign of a missing serialnumber (android noob, sorry)?
    Im picking mine up tomorrow and I dont want to deal with a "ghost" prime. ;)

In the settings, bottom choice is "about tablet" then Status.
    It doesn't match the s/n on the sticker on the back of my prime...

Mmh ok, thanks for the information. I'll keep investigating
    Well, just got off the phone with Asus. The guy I talked to said that they were aware of the issue, and that a downloadable fix was on the way, that would actually correct the underlying issue making the serial display correctly, which presumably would make all the corresponding issues (no ICS, no root, etc.) dissappear. He couldn't give a time frame for the fix though, so take that information with a grain of salt.