ATTENTION CANADIAN USERS: Forums for Canadian carriers

Search This thread

Intercrew

Nov 8, 2011
Virgin is indeed I747M. I am on their service and have used LTE in Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa so far with no issue. I just wonder if the Bell and Virgin basebands are the same, meaning any roms made with bell basebands can be flashed onto Virgin phones with no issues. If you guys need a system dump, and can tell me how to do it, I can do it and post it up for someone to verify.

Have you managed to root the phone?

nitroproductions

Jan 12, 2007
Windsor
Have you managed to root the phone?

I haven't taken the plunge yet. I was hoping there was more information available, especially with flashing without tripping the counter, before I start but it looks like I may have to take a risk and try it. If I don't hear anything from anyone else or find any other info in a few days, I will try it and see what happens.

timbit123

Nov 9, 2010
Quebec
After flashing the AOKP ROM, does anyone have any trouble flashing another rom?

I flashed the AOKP rom today in the morning and it was all good. The camera did FC on me but that was a known issue.

Now i want to try the PURE ICS ROM but after i flash it, the samsung logo comes up and then the Galaxy S3 i747 logo and then nothing.... no other boot up. It just stays at blank screen. Cant even tell if the screens on ...

I did do a full wipe of user data, cache partition and dalvik before i flashed it.

Now im back to the AOKP rom since i still had it in my phone internal memory (thank god) but i wanna try the PURE ICS so bad.

anyone has any solutions?

Im using i747 on Rogers.

Try to flash stock root with odin ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 ) and reflash cmw and pure ics rom after.
I found that, this gs3 is really easy to mest up other partitions and make lots of issue after. Could also be different kernel / drivers on aokp from ktoonsez that is causing you issue to get original version.

evilmonkey1987

Nov 14, 2007
Toronto, Ontario
Try to flash stock root with odin ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1739426 ) and reflash cmw and pure ics rom after.
I found that, this gs3 is really easy to mest up other partitions and make lots of issue after. Could also be different kernel / drivers on aokp from ktoonsez that is causing you issue to get original version.

Be very careful flashing stuff right now and try to keep flashing to a minimum, or better yet hold off. There is an 8 page thread in the AT&T forum about people losing their IMEI data during routing rooting and flashing procedures. So far the cause has not been determined nor is an IMEI recovery method available. If you lose your IMEI, you can't access the network (or can't access 3G/LTE depending on what you actually lose). So far the only solution is to get a new phone.

See here for more details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1753833. As has been concluded in the thread, there is no safe rooting/flashing method right now.

Intercrew

Nov 8, 2011
Virgin is indeed I747M. I am on their service and have used LTE in Toronto, Hamilton and Ottawa so far with no issue. I just wonder if the Bell and Virgin basebands are the same, meaning any roms made with bell basebands can be flashed onto Virgin phones with no issues. If you guys need a system dump, and can tell me how to do it, I can do it and post it up for someone to verify.

So I finally rooted the phone using the Bell Odin tar file and installed CWR without tripping the flash counter and everything works real well with no issues so far. I will try installing AT&T rom to see if it will work in a few days and report back as to how that is going.

Thats great news! I'm still deciding whether to go with telus or virgin mobile :l

noahattic

Nov 17, 2009
Vancouver
Well, I would not recommended a separated forum for Canadian device only. As we've already seen less development on NA version over the international one (highly appreciate devs here to support our NA device), I can imagine the Canadian only device will receive even much less support if having a dedicated forum.

Another thing is I don't see a reason that the rom for AT&T cannot interchangeable for rogers device as I learn that they are identical hardware-wise. even the base-band. The only difference is probably the ability to native tethering and changing the network mode? Bell/Telus may have a different baseband??

I hope someone could confirm this, then devs can include Rogers device onto the titles.

nubreed000

Jan 24, 2012
Be very careful flashing stuff right now and try to keep flashing to a minimum, or better yet hold off. There is an 8 page thread in the AT&T forum about people losing their IMEI data during routing rooting and flashing procedures. So far the cause has not been determined nor is an IMEI recovery method available. If you lose your IMEI, you can't access the network (or can't access 3G/LTE depending on what you actually lose). So far the only solution is to get a new phone.

See here for more details: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1753833. As has been concluded in the thread, there is no safe rooting/flashing method right now.

So I finally rooted the phone using the Bell Odin tar file and installed CWR without tripping the flash counter and everything works real well with no issues so far. I will try installing AT&T rom to see if it will work in a few days and report back as to how that is going.

So I guess not everyone experiences this issue? Or is there something different in the Bell phones and the AT&T variants? I'd like to eventually go over to CM9 once that's under a little more development and I get tired of TouchWiz (although I'll miss all those cool sensor features!)

phzi

Jul 23, 2009
So I guess not everyone experiences this issue? Or is there something different in the Bell phones and the AT&T variants? I'd like to eventually go over to CM9 once that's under a little more development and I get tired of TouchWiz (although I'll miss all those cool sensor features!)
Well, nobody has experienced the loss of IMEI that's taken a dd clone of their block devices yet... and I think there are a fair number of people who have done that. So, it's obviously not _that_ common. I've flashed 2 different GSIIIs over 10 times each (first, flash stock firmware with root, use adb to dd in CWM, and then go ahead and flash whatever you want from CWM), and haven't lost IMEI yet. So far, I'm knocking it up to a user error of some sort.

I've almost been hoping I would lose IMEI so I could investigate lol.

slomanski

Aug 17, 2010
Regina
As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.

I am in exactly the same boat as you mate - Sasktel & coming from international i9000. It was a lot simpler before. Let's hope this gets cleaned up a bit.

ecliff

Dec 27, 2011
Diddo

As a SaskTel customer coming from the international i9000, these forums are very confusing and not very organized. I would definitely support more organization.

Totally agree! I'm looking to flash a cyanogenmod or other rom but have no idea which American carrier would be similar but since Bell and Telus both use Sasktel towers for coverage here I'm guessing a rom for either should work. But I doubt and developer would even think about rom or anything for Sasktel

Last edited:

cys920622

Apr 2, 2012
Hey guys,

My TELUS S3 is model i747M. I don't think anyone has mentioned the little "M" at the end, going through the pages on this thread.

Just to be safe, I haven't rooted yet. Many people are saying that the Telus/Bell/Rogers S3's are the same hardware as the AT&T S3 (model i747, NO "M"), but due to that "M" at the end of the model name, I've been holding off just in case.

Also:

I haven't taken the plunge yet. I was hoping there was more information available, especially with flashing without tripping the counter, before I start but it looks like I may have to take a risk and try it. If I don't hear anything from anyone else or find any other info in a few days, I will try it and see what happens.

I see that you've rooted + flashed a custom ROM. Have you tried flashing stuff for the AT&T model (i747) for your i747M? I'm very curious as to whether I can flash AT&T custom ROMs (e.g. CM9) on my i747M...

Intercrew

Nov 8, 2011
I'm on Telus and only went up to Root stage, no CWM/ROM/Kernel jazz. Holding off on all this cause of the IEM issue.

trueking7

Jul 24, 2012
and the Rogers is the same as AT&T's

historically Rogers and AT&T have been interchangeable in almost every aspect on all the devices they shared. Rogers uses the exact same frequencies as AT&T, and the devices are the same aside from some minor differences in bloat, lte toggle, and native wifi tether

So the lte toggle isn't important to consider when flashing an at&t rom on a Rogers sgh-i747m?
:eek:

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2

cue_32

Jun 11, 2010
So the lte toggle isn't important to consider when flashing an at&t rom on a Rogers sgh-i747m?

AT&T and Rogers are the same... Its just AT&T tends to block or lock down some features that Rogers could care less about. This is what Pirate meant when Devs tend to use Rogers image as their base when developing their ROMs for both AT&T and Rogers users. Case in point, the history of the Skyrocket (i727) Vs. Rogers Galaxy S II LTE (i727R) and the Carrier IQ problem we had. I'm sure Pirate remembers that one ;)

Sent from my SGH-I747M using xda app-developers app

Reactions: cys920622

David Dee

Nov 12, 2010
Toronto

My understanding is that it is the AT&T modem that restricts LTE toggle functionality. So, even if AT&T'ers flash a Rogers based rom, LTE toggle functionality will not be available until someone figures out how to safely flash a Rogers' modem onto an AT&T device.

tgrtgr

Oct 26, 2003
Verizon

is there forum for verizon samsung galaxy s3 development - i can't find - please help

T_D_H

Hey guys,

My TELUS S3 is model i747M. I don't think anyone has mentioned the little "M" at the end, going through the pages on this thread.

Just to be safe, I haven't rooted yet. Many people are saying that the Telus/Bell/Rogers S3's are the same hardware as the AT&T S3 (model i747, NO "M"), but due to that "M" at the end of the model name, I've been holding off just in case.

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroproductions
I see that you've rooted + flashed a custom ROM. Have you tried flashing stuff for the AT&T model (i747) for your i747M? I'm very curious as to whether I can flash AT&T custom ROMs (e.g. CM9) on my i747M...

I'm with bell and running the AOKP rom with no issues, and no worries with the trip counter, the issue I believe people are having is NOT paying attention to model model number, and the forums being a freaking mess with this phone thanks to the multiple versions.

:good:

Last edited:
Reactions: cys920622

realist123

Jul 18, 2012
Has anyone had luck getting lte to work on cm10 or aopk with a rogers phone?

I've read a lot of threads with no clear answers.

I tried to play with apn settings and had no luck.

Thanks!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hello fellow Canadian GSIII owners: please see below and note which forum you should be looking in for ROMs for your devices:

AT&T forum: SGH-I747 (AT&T, Rogers, Bell, Telus and SaskTel)
    T-Mobile forum: SGH-T999 (T-Mobile, Wind, Mobilicity and Videotron)
    Sprint forum: SPH-L710 (Sprint only)
    Verizon forum: SGH-I535 (Verizon only)

Developers, please put carrier support in the title of your threads. Thank you!

---------------------------------------

Hello XDA,

Can we please get an android development forum for Rogers, Bell, Telus and Wind? Rogers/Bell/Telus phones are SGH-I747M and the Wind version is the SGH-T999, but they all have different basebands and stock ROMs. Trying to put Canadian threads in AT&T and Sprint forums will result in a big mess.

Alternatively, instead of separating by carrier, separate by model number. Keep all the I747 development threads in one forum and T999 threads in another. Then people can put the carrier into the title of the post.

Just something to think about.

Thanks!
    if it helps you I have a Sasktel I747m and have had no issues flashing Task and Ktoonzes AOKP JB versions so far. I did notice that the about device showed my device as an i747 after flashing.
    I agree. But AFAIK, the Wind/Mobilicity/Videotron S3 is the same as T-Mobile's, not Sprint's.

Indeed it is. I stand corrected.
    CRdroid O/S works good on my old Samsung Galaxy S3 i747

What a bunch of crazy head banging chit. I have a Canadian Samsung Galaxy S III SGH-1747M BMC-I747MVLUFOB3 Bell KitKat 4.4.2.
    All settings and directions do not work with my Sgs3. In service I have diff settings like the old way to unlock, no NW Lock NV Data INITIALLIZ ....... when i Type *#7284# no usb i have modem or pda. Tons of other settings also. My partitions are diff. Most programs for 1747m are diff and don't have right firmware or files for mine. So I search them out online. Almost all sites don't care about it. Tried many. Directions on How To's are diff. Most just say same as ATT's from USA but thats a great way to brick cause settings. files needed, and directions are diff . So I tried to do stuff buy way of apks to unlock or whatever. None works. Only a few like kingroot. None of the unlocks. Even many of the paid unlock sites to get my nck code can't. Xda trys the hardest but even here we are told use Att. After many many hours im told stuff like its because of knox or some other reason. If we had a forum for Canadian threads at least we would be able to save a lot of cells and a lot of grief n headaches. As for me I'm quitting on working on Canadian cells n stuff without better help. I'm retired with small pension but will just pay for everything like unlocking and no more trying to learn roms n stuff. Playing with phone is out. Besides most software thats needed now is all by way of buying anyway. Getting as bad as Corporations are.

I realize this is an old thread. But maybe there are others who still tinker around with this old (circa 2012) Samsung Galaxy S3 i747
    While I am a newbie, I have enjoyed flashing Custom ROM's , from CyanogenMod, thru various versions of Lineage, and now CRdroid.
    Totally free of Google; no Google Play Store, no Google Pay, no Google Framework, no Gapps, no Google spyware, no Google bloatware, no Google tracking etc.
    I download all my apps as APK's which are readily available on the Net ( Google them . . . just kidding! ).
    My older Samsung S3 i747 was a 'd2att' originally locked to Rogers, in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Then switched over to MTS (Manitoba Telephone System). Now running on Bell Canada. My replacement is also a Samsung S3 i747, originally running T-Mobile in Arizona, now running on Bell Canada.
    Damn fine phones.