S3 keeps rebooting into recovery

Search This thread
Mar 6, 2009
So this is just a quick question. I've never had a phone reboot into recovery mode before, I've just had them either straight up hardbricked, stuck on logos, not booting, or only booting into Download Mode. From going through other threads (I used the search bar before asking this question. *shock&awe*), I'm gonna assume this is also considered a soft brick.

I'm not sure what was done to the phone because I upgraded to an S5 and passed this S3 down to my little brother who tried to flash another ROM. It was working fine on one of the stable versions of SlimKit before I got the S5 if that matters.

So my questions:

1. Is this considered a soft brick?
  2. Would flashing stock everything resolve this issue? (reverting back to Stock everything, then reflashing custom ROMs)
  3. Is there a simpler way to resolve this issue to avoid going back completely to stock?

Thanks for looking everyone.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Yes, anytime you can get to download mode or recovery its considered a soft brick. A hard brick will not boot anything at all.
Flashing stock firmware will be the best option imo. But you could just try flashing a rom. You will likely have to factory reset in either case.
If i had to guess, he probably formatted /system and then the rom failed to flash, leaving it with no OS.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-T999 using Tapatalk

Mar 6, 2009
I haven't tried to do anything with it until he gets home, but best bet would be the following? Let me know if something's off or if I should do something another way:
  1. Download stock firmware on the SD card
  2. Factory reset
  3. Flash stock firmware
  4. Flash custom ROM
  5. Reboot

At any point would the phone get unrooted? I'm gonna just make sure everything's set to go when the little bro gets home.

serio22

Jul 1, 2012
Houston
You cannot flash stock firmware from SD. Here is what you should do:

1) download stock firmware to your computer
2) factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik
3) flash stock firmware with Odin and make sure the device boots and works fine
4) flash custom recovery
5) flash custom ROM
6) reboot

Edit: also make sure you flash the correct firmware. For example if the device was ever updated to 4.3 then only flash that 4.3 build, any other that is lower will fail. And yes you will lose root when you flash back to stock but it doesn't mean much at all. You can gain root easily

Last edited:
Reactions: DocHoliday77
Mar 6, 2009
I keep getting this issue in ODIN when I attempt to flash a stock firmware. Any ideas?

Code:
<ID:0/004> Added!!
<OSM> Enter CS for MD5..
<OSM> Check MD5.. Do not unplug the cable..
<OSM> Please wait..
<OSM> root66_TMO_T999UVUENC2.tar.md5 is valid.
<OSM> Checking MD5 finished Sucessfully..
<OSM> Leave CS..
<ID:0/004> Odin v.3 engine (ID:4)..
<ID:0/004> File analysis..
<ID:0/004> SetupConnection..
<ID:0/004> Initialzation..
<ID:0/004> Get PIT for mapping..
<ID:0/004> Firmware update start..
<ID:0/004> sbl2.mbn
<ID:0/004> NAND Write Start!! 
<ID:0/004> FAIL! (Auth)
<OSM> All threads completed. (succeed 0 / failed 1)
<ID:0/004> Removed!!

Last edited:
Mar 6, 2009
It's a S3 from T-Mobile directly, so I think it's a T999. I have Kies 3 for my S5 installed, so I'll go ahead and uninstall to try again. Will report back.

DocHoliday77

May 10, 2011
HuntsVegas!!!
Just fyi in case you didnt know, there is an ota available for the T999L.
After flashing your firmware, go to settings , about device, and tap software update. It should update you to the latest build. (Still just 4.3, but i imagine its a bugfix/security update).

If you are up for putting in a little extra time, i can help you pull the ota (after downloading but before flashing it). If i can get a hold of this ota i can make an easier update method available for other members since no firmware has been released for it.

If you dont want to thats perfectly fine btw. Im sure someone else would get it soon.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You cannot flash stock firmware from SD. Here is what you should do:

1) download stock firmware to your computer
    2) factory reset, wipe cache and dalvik
    3) flash stock firmware with Odin and make sure the device boots and works fine
    4) flash custom recovery
    5) flash custom ROM
    6) reboot

Edit: also make sure you flash the correct firmware. For example if the device was ever updated to 4.3 then only flash that 4.3 build, any other that is lower will fail. And yes you will lose root when you flash back to stock but it doesn't mean much at all. You can gain root easily