[ROM][All-F2FS] SlimKat with All-F2FS support [02/05/14]

Search This thread

legolas93

Jul 13, 2010
SlimKat with "All-F2FS" support

I have modified SlimKat to work with F2FS partitions. All credits for the ROM to SlimKat guys.
This is for "All-F2FS" that mean that /system, /cache and /data are formatted with F2FS.
This is needed to switch to "All-F2FS".
ROM contains my Kernel with "All-F2FS" support and other goodies.

Ported sl[aou]b from Linux 3.4
Ported timer and workqueue from Linux 3.4
Ported random from Linux 3.13-rc4
Ported rwsem from Linux 3.11
Kernel NEON Mode
Etc..Etc..
Added GPU OC (Franco way..)
Added Toggle for FSYNC
Revert CPU OC things (We don't need it and it was a bit dirty..)

One of the goodies of my kernel is that i was able to reclaim more 18MB of RAM for Android. As you can see in Settings we are now at 993MB.
MultiROM isn't supported as now because i need to patch it to work with "new" ram.

What is F2FS?

F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel. The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.

banner.png

Download:
  • SlimKat 4.8: Here (New Kernel2)
  • SlimKat 4.6: Here (New Kernel)
  • SlimKat 4.4: Here
  • SlimKat 4.2: Here
  • SlimKat 4: Here
  • SlimKat 3.10: Here
  • SlimKat 3.8: Here
  • SlimKat 3.6: Here

You need a recovery with "All-F2FS" support. So..
To use this ROM read the instructions Here!

If you have problem with Xposed installation:
You can download the v2.5 beta 2 from here. After installing, click on Setting and then select "Install from Recovery" either the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Hope i dind't any errors writing this down. I personally tested this procedure.
Enjoy. :D

1zd0qv6.png
30ww5c0.png

Last edited:

dialmformostyn

Jul 5, 2011

I have modified SlimKat to work with F2FS partitions. All credits for the ROM to SlimKat guys.
This is for "All-F2FS" that mean that /system, /cache and /data are formatted with F2FS.

Wonderful, can't wait to try it - thank you! Do you have any idea yet whether you'll have the time and/or inclination to keep up with future Slim builds?

BillyD325

Feb 12, 2012
Huntsville
Can you make a tilapia version pls? I also use slimkat and I would like to use the the new file system.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

I've been using SlimKAT as well on my tilapia. It seems that overall, tilapia has been left behind on most ROMs for the N7. I don't know how difficult it would be since as far as I know the only difference is the existence of a radio, but if you could do this for us that would be awesome!

bhu1

Aug 1, 2011
Jaipur
Can u please modify the latest OMNI ROM nightly or can u at least point out exactly what needs to be modified if it isn't extremely complicated like changing 100s of lines of code in the source?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Curunir

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the rom's zip file?

I'm asking since I've tried installing it on my grouper multiple times, and each time I got stuck at the Slimkat booting animation. When I downloaded the latest weekly from the Slimrom site and applied your kernel and the g-apps, everything worked fine.

legolas93

Jul 13, 2010
Can you make a tilapia version pls? I also use slimkat and I would like to use the the new file system.

I've been using SlimKAT as well on my tilapia. It seems that overall, tilapia has been left behind on most ROMs for the N7. I don't know how difficult it would be since as far as I know the only difference is the existence of a radio, but if you could do this for us that would be awesome!

I will try something when i have some free time..Maybe i will contact one of you via pm for some tests..

Can u please modify the latest OMNI ROM nightly or can u at least point out exactly what needs to be modified if it isn't extremely complicated like changing 100s of lines of code in the source?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

See here. :D

Is it possible that there is something wrong with the rom's zip file?

I'm asking since I've tried installing it on my grouper multiple times, and each time I got stuck at the Slimkat booting animation. When I downloaded the latest weekly from the Slimrom site and applied your kernel and the g-apps, everything worked fine.

I think that you didn't follow the instructions. Read them :D Otherwise let me know..

doiutzu

Dec 22, 2012
Xiaomi Mi 11
I installed the grouper version on my tilapia ( I couldn't wait) but I had a little problem flashing gapps. I couldn't flash full PA gapps because there wasn't enough space on the system partition. I usually use PA stock gapps with slim ROM. When I reverted to the previous file system with your zip( it worked, I tested it :)) I flashed full PA gapps successfully.
Did you try to use art? For me it caused FC's.

legolas93

Jul 13, 2010
I installed the grouper version on my tilapia ( I couldn't wait) but I had a little problem flashing gapps. I couldn't flash full PA gapps because there wasn't enough space on the system partition. I usually use PA stock gapps with slim ROM. When I reverted to the previous file system with your zip( it worked, I tested it :)) I flashed full PA gapps successfully.
Did you try to use art? For me it caused FC's.

I'm using Slim GApps that you can find here.

And i'm using ART without any problems :fingers-crossed: Try them!

(Thanks for testing the zip)

Sage

Dec 12, 2005
AU
Xiaomi Mi 11
has anyone actually benchmarked the benefit? Is it really worth it? :) I already use Slim.. though wondering if i should bother with the conversion.,..

TarteMan

Feb 12, 2014
Paris
8GB device I assume?

yes, i said that because with other rom & stock rom, free space avalaible is 5.85 GB after fresh install, maybe it's caused by F2FS ?:p

---------- Post added at 09:19 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:09 AM ----------

Im wondering this aswell. But its so new i may just test and see for myself

here quadrant score with ART ENABLED :
1394698669-screenshot-2014-03-13-09-14-14.png

Awesome right ? :D

Without ART i got 5800 :cowboy:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

ROM contains my Kernel with "All-F2FS" support and other goodies.

Ported sl[aou]b from Linux 3.4
    Ported timer and workqueue from Linux 3.4
    Ported random from Linux 3.13-rc4
    Ported rwsem from Linux 3.11
    Kernel NEON Mode
    Etc..Etc..
    Added GPU OC (Franco way..)
    Added Toggle for FSYNC
    Revert CPU OC things (We don't need it and it was a bit dirty..)

One of the goodies of my kernel is that i was able to reclaim more 18MB of RAM for Android. As you can see in Settings we are now at 993MB.
    MultiROM isn't supported as now because i need to patch it to work with "new" ram.

What is F2FS?

F2FS (Flash-Friendly File System) is a flash file system created by Kim Jaegeuk at Samsung for the Linux operating system kernel. The motive for F2FS was to build a file system that from the start takes into account the characteristics of NAND flash memory-based storage devices (such as solid-state disks, eMMC, and SD cards), which are widely used in computer systems ranging from mobile devices to servers.

banner.png

Download:
    • SlimKat 4.8: Here (New Kernel2)
    • SlimKat 4.6: Here (New Kernel)
    • SlimKat 4.4: Here
    • SlimKat 4.2: Here
    • SlimKat 4: Here
    • SlimKat 3.10: Here
    • SlimKat 3.8: Here
    • SlimKat 3.6: Here

You need a recovery with "All-F2FS" support. So..
    To use this ROM read the instructions Here!

If you have problem with Xposed installation:
    You can download the v2.5 beta 2 from here. After installing, click on Setting and then select "Install from Recovery" either the 2nd or 3rd choice.

Hope i dind't any errors writing this down. I personally tested this procedure.
    Enjoy. :D

1zd0qv6.png
    30ww5c0.png
    When is v. 3836 being released? as it is on the weekly builds on slimrom site dated 21 / 04 / 14, I realise you will have other things to do, just curious as to whether there is a reason you haven't released it yet?

There is one reason. I worked hard on a new kernel that i wanted to include with new version. So i had to make sure that it works well at least for me. :D Sorry for the delay.

Slim-grouper-4.4.2.build.4.6-WEEKLY-3836-F2FS.zip

I'm just writing the link for the new release here. If you guys tell me that all work good i will push it to the first post.

New kernel contains a lot of unique optimizations for our N7 made by me. I tested it for days and seems to work right. I even did some benchs (usually i don't them..) and seems that with Antutu we are around 15000 points..(Obviously without overclock..). There is nothing to configure or to tweak. It's to use as is out of the box.
    Updated first post with SlimKat 4.8.

Kernel updated.
    - USB OTG Fixed
    - Optimizations
    - Battery improved

:D
    Updated first post with SlimKat 4 Stable.

:)