Review/Pics: Skinomi carbon fiber skin, tab & dock

Search This thread

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
Got my Skinomi skins today and after applying I have to say I'm impressed. I was eager to see if it would fit in the dock with it on too, and it does. It's just a little tight but it does fit fine.

When the skin arrives it comes shipped in a tube, since it's rolled up in the tube the ends of the skin want to peel up. If it was rolled the other way it would of been much better. After learning from the tablet skin I re-rolled the dock skin the other way and put it back in the tube for 30 minutes or so and that helped.

My advice when putting the skin on is to only use the application fluid on the large main skin parts (top for the tab and bottom for the dock), and be sure NOT to get any fluid on the small edging/side parts of the skin. Once the main back part is on, bubble free and aligned it will be easy to stick down the sides if there's no fluid on them. In my case I put the fluid all over and the smaller side parts kept peeling themselves up and it took a lot of holding down till they were stuck (the whole process took me about an hour for the tablet).

Lesson learned, on the dock skin I only used a small amount of fluid on the main bottom part and none on the little parts and it was a much faster process. Using a hair dryer will aide in the drying time and also makes the skin more malleable so it doesn't want to peel itself back.

The tablet skin comes with a clear screen protector that I'm not using. I use an anti-glare screen protector (3 pack available on Amazon for $14.95) and I like this set up a lot. A few other reviews for this skin said because the clear screen protector is a bit sticky when you close the tab the screen sticks to the skin on the dock and it cause bubbles in the screen. With the very non-sticky screen protector I have, this isn't an issue.

All-in-all I'm impressed with the skin. It's a very tough vinyl, has a great texture to it (actually feels like carbon fiber and makes for a nice feel in the hand) and provides good coverage on almost all of the tablet and dock.

The only down side is the set up (especially if you use a different screen protector) is a little pricy... But, if you want to protect your tablet and dock while making the setup look bad @ss this is the way to go!!

UPDATE: A small part of the corner of the skin (a very thin strip that covers the corner on the top of the tablet) came off, was torn by the case. I contacted Skinomi as the skin has a lifetime warranty and they're sending me a whole new skin for free. Prompt customer service too. Good company...

Links:
Tablet skin on Amazon, $26.94 with shipping
Dock skin on Amazon, $18.94 with shipping.

If you like this review please click the thanks button below!!!

P7310001.jpg

P7310002.jpg

P7310003.jpg

P7310004.jpg

If anyone wants pics of any specific part of the tab or dock to see exact fitting just let me know and I'll take it and post here!

Last edited:

Crizthakidd

Jul 28, 2010
Jersey
how do you feel about this vs a case? if you were to drop this i dont see where it would help. its more for scratch proofing ?

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
how do you feel about this vs a case? if you were to drop this i dont see where it would help. its more for scratch proofing ?

This would do absolutely nothing in the event of a drop!! lol. But, I don't like to always have my tablet in a case and this will help prevent scratches when I'm using it around the house out of the case (sometimes I take the tablet with me while it's docked too and I only have a neoprene case for this, this skin helps once I pull out the tablet in this situation). Great scratch protection, no protection for drops... And it looks cool, and feels cool, and is cool ;)

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
lol ugh maybe you can help me decide between this skin and these 2

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0088IA9PC/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i01
http://www.amazon.com/Poetic-Transformer-Infinity-Keyboard-Portfolio/dp/B008LM04T6

I have the dock, but do not care about protecting it, dont have a screen protector, just want a case for when i take the tablet out to school or meetings

I have a case very similar to the Poetic case (2nd link) although it doesn't rotate. I didn't need to rotate the screen as I rarely use it in portrait mode and wanted as slim a case as I could get. I got the Blurex Slim Folio Case on Amazon for $21.99 and I think it's a great case! Slim, good fit, and I think it provides about as much protection as you can get with a case of this nature.

I actually have the 1st case you linked to on order, it will be here tomorrow. Not so sure about it but I guess I'll find out tomorrow. I'll update this reply once it gets in!

UPDATE: Got the Poetic Tablet/Dock case today and I like it. It does add a LOT of thickness to the whole setup but it provides good coverage and I like the little pockets for business cards and other notes. It also has two pen holders (good for styli). Looks professional too. If you don't mind a thick setup I'd recommend this case!

Last edited:

ajamils

Sep 10, 2010
Houston, TX
Thanks for the review. After debating for some time, I ended up ordering the brushed steel one. I hope it looks decent :)

dalingrin

Inactive Recognized Developer
Nov 6, 2007
How does it feel when holding the tablet(without the dock)? Does it feel like it might peel where you hold it on the edges?

Chief Geek

Aug 13, 2010
Fayetteville, NC
This would do absolutely nothing in the event of a drop!! lol. But, I don't like to always have my tablet in a case and this will help prevent scratches when I'm using it around the house out of the case (sometimes I take the tablet with me while it's docked too and I only have a neoprene case for this, this skin helps once I pull out the tablet in this situation). Great scratch protection, no protection for drops... And it looks cool, and feels cool, and is cool ;)

ACTUALLY....it will do alot of good in a drop. The innitial impact won't be saved, however when you drop something it usually bounces and/or slides. The full skins will mitigate most of the damage from all the scuffs, dings, and scratches that come after the initial impact. I dropped my Galaxy Note and the corner has a pretty good ding, but the skin was skuffed to hell and looked like ****. I was ticked that my phone looked like it was worn as a shoe down a gravel road. I peeled the skin off and was taken back at the fact that there wasnt a single mark on it other then the corner where it landed. I immediately ordered a new skin from ArmorSuit telling them it saved my phone, they refunded the purchase I just made and sent me one for free telling me they were glad it worked and the lifetime warranty covered it. The only reason my tf700 doesnt have a full skin yet is because I use the rooCase snap on that is a little too tight. Full skins pay you back exponentially when the day comes to sell it and you peel it off to see nearly brand new device.

fntms

Mar 26, 2010
Does the skin cover the sharp edges of the tab next to the bezel ? I can't really find out from the pics I've seen.
I find the tab quite uncomfortable to hold for a long while because of those rather nasty edges...
Thanks.

suunnittelija

Mar 13, 2011
Oulu
www.rasteri.net
My Skinomi Clear Skin arrived today but I'm not going to install it yet. I'm going to send my tablet for repair or swap for new unit because of bad quality on glass/screen installation on lower left corner... :(

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
How does it feel when holding the tablet(without the dock)? Does it feel like it might peel where you hold it on the edges?

It doesn't feel like it will peel but the edges are just a little rough. I don't find it to be a big deal and now that I've had it on for a day I've come to really, really like it. Feels solid and is very "grippy".

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
Does the skin cover the sharp edges of the tab next to the bezel ? I can't really find out from the pics I've seen.
I find the tab quite uncomfortable to hold for a long while because of those rather nasty edges...
Thanks.

It doesn't cover the sharp sides around the bezel, doesn't quite reach around far enough.

Eroc162

Jan 19, 2008
Do they sell the skin for the dock alone. I already have a zagg shield for the tablet.

ishamm

Sep 7, 2011
I just ordered this based on your review, thanks, though shipping could take a while. How is the bundled screen protector? I had skinomi on my atrix, and was impressed, but that wasn't a high res screen, so any blur was unnoticeable. Is it a good clear cover, or does brightness and clarity take a hit? Thanks

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using XDA Premium HD app

polish_pat

Nov 30, 2011
Montreal
wow these are beautiful skins...but god damn cant get them shipped to canada!!! grrrrrrrrrr we always have to be left out

Eroc162

Jan 19, 2008
I just ordered a tf201 skinomi dock skin in clear for my tf700 dock on ebay. Skinomi sells them on ebay $16. Anybody have a Zagg screen saver and a dock. How does the Zagg fit? Does it look like it will peel off the Zagg over time. I have the Zagg here waiting for my replacement to arrive and wondering if I should cut a section out where the dock's padding touches the screen. The last thing I want is for the cushions to peel off.

update
I installed the tf201 dock skinomi cover and it fit fine. Its a pain in the neck to get it right though. seems thinner then the Zagg.

Last edited:

ajamils

Sep 10, 2010
Houston, TX
I installed the brushed steel one today on my TF700 and it looks stunning (it even have textured feel to it). The installation was painless and took only few minutes. I have not yet installed it on the dock (dock is still sealed) but from the various cutouts, it look like it will be trickier to install than the tablet.

On the other hand, I did not like the screen protector that came with it. It was pain to align correctly and even after taking out all water from underneath, it still has a lot of water streaks. According to the instructions, they are supposed to go away after couple of days so I will wait and see. My recent experience with another wet application screen protector was ArmourSuit for Nexus 7 and it was a breeze to install and it was completely clear within few minutes.

Eroc162

Jan 19, 2008
Installed the dock screen yesterday and I still have micro bubbles. Not as much as I had yesterday but still have them non the less. No biggie. Its definitely attaches alot quicker than Zagg. I tell you what, I'm happy I don't have to do it again lol.

Sent from my LG-P999 using xda premium

AspenMan

Jun 25, 2007
Denver
I installed the brushed steel one today on my TF700 and it looks stunning (it even have textured feel to it). The installation was painless and took only few minutes. I have not yet installed it on the dock (dock is still sealed) but from the various cutouts, it look like it will be trickier to install than the tablet.

The dock is actually easier. The part I found hard was the small parts of the tablet skin on the side/top/bottom kept wanting to peel themselves back and it took a lot of holding it in place while drying. The dock I would only use a small amount of the fluid on the main piece and just stick on all the small pieces, it's easy and nothing wants to peel itself back.

On the other hand, I did not like the screen protector that came with it. It was pain to align correctly and even after taking out all water from underneath, it still has a lot of water streaks. According to the instructions, they are supposed to go away after couple of days so I will wait and see. My recent experience with another wet application screen protector was ArmourSuit for Nexus 7 and it was a breeze to install and it was completely clear within few minutes.

I don't plan on using the screen protector, don't like the feel of it and I prefer anti-glare. I used a similar one on my Xoom and it took almost a week for the streaks to clear and even then it didn't look very good. I also read another review that said the screen protector will stick to the skin on the dock and cause bubbles to form. The anti-glare screen protector I use isn't sticky at all and I don't have this issue (Poetic anti-glare screen protectors - 3 pack, $14.95 on Amazon)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Got my Skinomi skins today and after applying I have to say I'm impressed. I was eager to see if it would fit in the dock with it on too, and it does. It's just a little tight but it does fit fine.

When the skin arrives it comes shipped in a tube, since it's rolled up in the tube the ends of the skin want to peel up. If it was rolled the other way it would of been much better. After learning from the tablet skin I re-rolled the dock skin the other way and put it back in the tube for 30 minutes or so and that helped.

My advice when putting the skin on is to only use the application fluid on the large main skin parts (top for the tab and bottom for the dock), and be sure NOT to get any fluid on the small edging/side parts of the skin. Once the main back part is on, bubble free and aligned it will be easy to stick down the sides if there's no fluid on them. In my case I put the fluid all over and the smaller side parts kept peeling themselves up and it took a lot of holding down till they were stuck (the whole process took me about an hour for the tablet).

Lesson learned, on the dock skin I only used a small amount of fluid on the main bottom part and none on the little parts and it was a much faster process. Using a hair dryer will aide in the drying time and also makes the skin more malleable so it doesn't want to peel itself back.

The tablet skin comes with a clear screen protector that I'm not using. I use an anti-glare screen protector (3 pack available on Amazon for $14.95) and I like this set up a lot. A few other reviews for this skin said because the clear screen protector is a bit sticky when you close the tab the screen sticks to the skin on the dock and it cause bubbles in the screen. With the very non-sticky screen protector I have, this isn't an issue.

All-in-all I'm impressed with the skin. It's a very tough vinyl, has a great texture to it (actually feels like carbon fiber and makes for a nice feel in the hand) and provides good coverage on almost all of the tablet and dock.

The only down side is the set up (especially if you use a different screen protector) is a little pricy... But, if you want to protect your tablet and dock while making the setup look bad @ss this is the way to go!!

UPDATE: A small part of the corner of the skin (a very thin strip that covers the corner on the top of the tablet) came off, was torn by the case. I contacted Skinomi as the skin has a lifetime warranty and they're sending me a whole new skin for free. Prompt customer service too. Good company...

Links:
    Tablet skin on Amazon, $26.94 with shipping
    Dock skin on Amazon, $18.94 with shipping.

If you like this review please click the thanks button below!!!

P7310001.jpg

P7310002.jpg

P7310003.jpg

P7310004.jpg

If anyone wants pics of any specific part of the tab or dock to see exact fitting just let me know and I'll take it and post here!
    So I finally finished installing the brushed steel skin. I love the quality and fitment. There are some small pieces what could have been a little bigger to cover some for keyboard parts but overall its awesome. I also like the texture which makes it feel like it is actual brushed steel.

One suggestion for people who are planning to do this install, when installing pieces on the corners or smaller pieces, use hair drier on low setting to warm up the skin and the are and it will help a lot in skin sticking correctly.

P.S: Attached are some pics of T700 and the dock (TF201 dock).
    The dock is actually easier. The part I found hard was the small parts of the tablet skin on the side/top/bottom kept wanting to peel themselves back and it took a lot of holding it in place while drying. The dock I would only use a small amount of the fluid on the main piece and just stick on all the small pieces, it's easy and nothing wants to peel itself back.

I don't plan on using the screen protector, don't like the feel of it and I prefer anti-glare. I used a similar one on my Xoom and it took almost a week for the streaks to clear and even then it didn't look very good. I also read another review that said the screen protector will stick to the skin on the dock and cause bubbles to form. The anti-glare screen protector I use isn't sticky at all and I don't have this issue (Poetic anti-glare screen protectors - 3 pack, $14.95 on Amazon)

Will give covering the dock a try sometime tomorrow. As for the screen protector, I am not a fan of anti-glare ones. They make the screen look grainy and degrades picture quality (atleast that's what I experienced when I used them on Prime). Is that still the case?
    Which set did you order ?

Is it the combination of these 2 :
    http://www.skinomi.com/sk11340-asus-transformer-pad-infinity-tf700-brushed-steel-skin-protector.html
    http://www.skinomi.com/sk10198-asus...yboard-dock-brushed-steel-skin-protector.html

Can you also take the pics of the screen protector and comment on the quality screen? Does it degrade the quality?

Does the back of the tablet protector cover the part which goes into the dock?

Yes, that the combination that I ordered. Quality of the screen protector is not as bad as I initially thought and it has completely cleared but if I was to buy just the screen protector, Skinomi won't be be my first choice.

Yes, the protector covers all the parts that go in the dock as well and because of that it makes it look like it was designed that way and look awesome. One word of advise though, I took out the tablet from the dock for the first time after installing the skin and something in the dock chipped small part of the skin. They are very small spots but they look bad none the less. Also, with the skin and screen protector installed, its a very tight fit. (Btw, I am using Tf201 dock)

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2
    Got a brushed steel AND carbon fiber for the tablet only for only 17 bucks :D had a 70% off coupon and worked well. Currently using brushed steel on the dock and carbon fiber on the tablet, because carbon fiber seems to bee less likely to show if there's a scratch =P
    All fits well even with screen protector installed.