[Q] [RESOLVED] DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf replaced by the original when phone restarts

Search This thread

uadissa

Jan 31, 2014
Mebourne
Hi All,
Last week I bought this HTC one, after using iphones for many years. First I loved the phone and I was so annoyed after realizing that it doesn't support my native language "Sinhalese".
So after some trouble, I rooted the phone and replaced the DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf with a Sinhala ttf file which I took from a Samsung phone. I was using Root Explorer App. Wallah!! it was rendering everything fine. :laugh:
The happiness did not last long, after I realized that every time I restart the phone DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf gets replaced with the original. :( So everytime I restart, I have to replace the file.
Would anyone be able to give a solution for this? Top of my head, would flashing the phone by clockworkmod with a .zip with my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf fix my problem?
Also what's the reason for this? My friend's got a Samsung S4 with fresh Kit Kat installed in it. And it doesn't do this.
Thanks in advance for your opinion guys.
uadissa
(HTC One; Android 4.3; Rooted)

Last edited:

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne
Hi All,
Last week I bought this HTC one, after using iphones for many years. First I loved the phone and I was so annoyed after realizing that it doesn't support my native language "Sinhalese".
So after some trouble I rooted the phone and replaced the DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf with a Sinhala ttf file which I took from a Samsung phone. Wallah!! it was rendering everything fine. :laugh:
The happiness did not last long, after I realized that every time I restart the phone DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf gets replaced with the original. :( So everytime I restart, I have to replace the file.
Would anyone be able to give a solution for this? Top of my head, would flashing the phone by clockworkmod with a .zip with my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf fix my problem?
Also what's the reason for this? My friend's got a Samsung S4 with fresh Kit Kat installed in it. And it doesn't do this.
Thanks in advance for your opinion guys.
uadissa
(HTC One; Android 4.3; Rooted)

how are you 'installing' the sinhala font?

uadissa

Jan 31, 2014
Mebourne
Flash the entire ROM?

which rom are you running?
I find easiest way for me is to change the font in the rom zip before flashing the rom. no problems with things not 'sticking'.

I'm still using the stock ROM with OS ver 4.3. You mean flash the entire rom after changing the DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf in the ROM zip file?

Can't I just flash the Fallback font without flashing the entire ROM?

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne
I'm still using the stock ROM with OS ver 4.3. You mean flash the entire rom after changing the DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf in the ROM zip file?

Can't I just flash the Fallback font without flashing the entire ROM?

did you unlock bootloader and flash a custom rom, or just unlock bootloader?
you need to have a rooted rom to change stuff like fonts etc. if you want the changes to stick.

uadissa

Jan 31, 2014
Mebourne
Flash with a fresh new ROM

Since still I'm only one week after buying the phone, bit reluctant to flash it with a fresh new ROM

uadissa

Jan 31, 2014
Mebourne
Phone is rooted

did you unlock bootloader and flash a custom rom, or just unlock bootloader?
you need to have a rooted rom to change stuff like fonts etc. if you want the changes to stick.

Yes I have unlocked the phone and rooted the phone after installing TeamWin Recovery. So now my rom is rooted. But it still has the stock ROM in it.

would you be able to explain me bit more on what you meant by
change the font in the rom zip
you meant download a customer ROM. edit it with my new font and flash entire ROM? or correct me if I'm wrong.
thanks

uadissa

Jan 31, 2014
Mebourne
RESOLVED

I was able to resolve this issue easier than expected. This is what I did.
1. Boot the phone in to the Recovery mode( I have TWRP recovery installed)
2. Connected the phone to PC
3. From PC command prompt access a phone shell using I]adb shell[/I]
4. mount /system
5. Changed the properties like user, group and access permissions of my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf to match the file in ROM's /system/fonts
6. Copy my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf which has sinhala to /system/fonts( I made sure my original file was backed up)
7. umount /system
8. Exit from recovery and reboot

All works well :laugh::laugh:

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne
I was able to resolve this issue easier than expected. This is what I did.
1. Boot the phone in to the Recovery mode( I have TWRP recovery installed)
2. Connected the phone to PC
3. From PC command prompt access a phone shell using I]adb shell[/I]
4. mount /system
5. Changed the properties like user, group and access permissions of my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf to match the file in ROM's /system/fonts
6. Copy my DroidSansFallback-htc.ttf which has sinhala to /system/fonts( I made sure my original file was backed up)
7. umount /system
8. Exit from recovery and reboot

All works well :laugh::laugh:

glad you got it sorted.
there is a difference between being unlocked and running a rooted rom. unlocked means you can install a custom recovery which then means you can flash roms. the rom contains 'files' which provide the ability to change things, which unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery do not. if you were running a custom rom, simply replacing the font using root explorer would have worked the way you wanted without having to use adb commands.

uadissa

Jan 31, 2014
Mebourne
I believe the phone is rooted.

glad you got it sorted.
there is a difference between being unlocked and running a rooted rom. unlocked means you can install a custom recovery which then means you can flash roms. the rom contains 'files' which provide the ability to change things, which unlocking the bootloader and flashing a custom recovery do not. if you were running a custom rom, simply replacing the font using root explorer would have worked the way you wanted without having to use adb commands.

thanks for your comment. from all these I'm learning because i'm little new to android.
However I still believe my ROM OS is rooted. Because
1. After installing the TWRP custom recovery I installed SuperUser.zip by Koush to root the ROM
2. When I run root explorer it allows me to replace files into System folders with root access( Super User).

HTC has their own HTC Sense thing running on top of Android. Can that be replacing the system folders every-time it restarts? which is not happening in other phones.

if you were running a custom rom, simply replacing the font using root explorer would have worked
Yes I would have fixed but I was only running my stock OS rooted.

Last edited:

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
thanks for your comment. from all these I'm learning because i'm little new to android.
1. After installing the TWRP custom recovery I installed SuperUser.zip by Koush to root the ROM
2. When I run root explorer it allows me to replace files into System folders with root access( Super User).

HTC has their own HTC Sense thing running on top of Android. Can that be replacing the system folders every-time it restarts?

you need an insecure kernel .. thats why he's recommending you just flash a rom, it's much simpler

Reactions: uadissa

clsA

Aug 28, 2010
Central Florida
But I had a insecure kernal. That's why I had root access when I was in adbd shell and it allowed me to replace files into /system.

nope

this is from ARHD
ROM details:

Removed software (CPU) rendering - full Snapdragon 600 (GPU) rendering
Fully optimized and tweaked
Root access
Unsecured boot.img
Newest BusyBox
RAM optimizations
System signatures check enabled for system security and safety
Improved virtual memory management
Speed optimizations
Enabled GPU UI rendering
Data, cache and system partitions mounting tweaks
Bloatware applications removed
All /system applications updated to latest available
All /data applications updated to latest available
Improved CPU governors performance
Most optimal system scheduler
Disabled kernel debugging for better performance
Zipaligned (Improved RAM management)
Zipalign on boot (for user applications on data partition)
Fully de-odexed
init.d scripts (BusyBox run-parts) support
Auto init.d permissions set on boot

sysro/sysrw commands support
Excellent battery life!
Improved EXT4 performance
OpenVPN support
Most up-to-date system files permissions
Adobe Flash Player support
Support almost 24h a day
...and many more!

you don't get all those things just by being Root

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

HTC has their own HTC Sense thing running on top of Android. Can that be replacing the system folders every-time it restarts?

you need an insecure kernel .. thats why he's recommending you just flash a rom, it's much simpler