[ROM-MOD]Radio Voltage Regulator (increase signal/save battery)

Search This thread

benspens

Jan 24, 2009
[ROM-MOD]Radio Voltage Regulator (increase signal/save battery)

Hi all!

I am looking for a mod or software that will allow me to regulate the voltage amount to my Raphael's radio.

The idea:

- By increasing the voltage I increase reception/signal but use battery more (good for emergencies and areas with bad signal).

- By reducing the voltage in an area with great reception/signal I save battery power.

I am technically on the verge of developing it myself. I just wanted to check if there already is one before I do.
Also, any information that can help me get closer would be greatly appreciated.

s.zamani

Jan 22, 2008
Berlin
great Idea, but it should be automaticly reactink by checking the reception, or when a intrnrt connection is build. otherwise it's not going to be much helpfull.

s.

benspens

Jan 24, 2009
@s.zamani

Yes an automatic mode is definably a must, I agree.

@Rumpel78

If it did, then why do I have areas with no signal or lost calls? and even if it did, I want to test how far past the default variable I can go. But I don't believe it does.
Can anyone confirm this?
Or point me in the right direction to read documentation on this?

Rumpel78

Aug 18, 2009
Hohenems
With my old nokia phone battery drain was much higher with bad reception than within areas with good reception.
And at work we use Siemens and Telit GSM-Terminals where you can measure the supply-current is much higher if the reception is low.
I must check if this also applies to windows phones - but i cant think of a reason why not.

I will look into this.

benspens

Jan 24, 2009
@Rumpel78

Thanks for looking into that, that data will help.

Think of it like this though. Even if phones adjust power distribution to radio automatically... Manufacturers know (for example) that their radio can't take more than 1.2v (lets say). So to be safe they set a cap variance at 1.0v. Now obviously when its running at cap it will drain the battery quicker. However, there are times when even that is not enough and I can be stuck with whats known as 'no signal' or even get a 'dropped call'.

In other words, we would be "overclocking" the radio.

How would it be beneficial? while there are plenty reasons for one to have such control over their radio I will go with the obvious ones. Emergencies. What if I am stuck in an elevator with no emergency response? or am in an underground surgery facility and I want to text my family that a loved one came out of the surgery well?

Normally I would be in the hands of g-d or would have to wait until I surfaced and possibly even exited the hospital (respectively to the situation aforementioned)

It just happens to be in my life that flawless communications plays a big role. This is the main reason I am pursuing this. Even if minute, this type of control can come in handy if not life saving for some people.

This is assuming phones (and in-particular the raphael models) already are adjusting power distribution to radio based on a min and max (cap) variance.

If they aren't, this is a major improvement.

If they are this is a situational improvement, used deliberately in particular situations where, normally, communications would not be available.

I'm not trying to overcome cellphone signal jammers, but wouldn't it be nice if you could try? :)

benspens

Jan 24, 2009
Also I can think of another situation. Many countries enforce their own electronics safety policy.

So going along with my last post. What if the radio could take as much as 1.5v but was set at a cap of 1.0v because of electronic security policies of the country we live in?

In a situation of emergency, i don't care much for those policies and will use speaker-phone/headset for my safety.

tcjen

Nov 28, 2009
This is so true that when we really need a good reception or even good enough signal to establish connection. Just once of your life time, it can be beneficial.

benspens

Jan 24, 2009
Originally Posted by mskip
4. What is a Radio?

The Radio is the Firmware that works between the Operating System and the Cellular Hardware. It handles the Sound, Camera, GPS, Phone Calls, etc. The Radio must be compatible with the ROM's Operating System or you may experience problems with your sound and camera.

By that definition, I would like to specifically clarify, that I mean the part of the Radio that handles reception/signal and GPS. I see no need in adjusting voltage to sound or camera so unless someone specifically asks for it, that type of control will not be embedded.

P.S. Anyone who has knowledge in this field and can help me with the development please send me a PM as, at this point, I could use all the help I can get.

storm717

Retired Recognized Developer
Sep 10, 2007
Austin, TX
hm..

as others have already said... this is already done by the phone's internal hardware, and the radio ROM. maybe even some on the windows mobile side.

Also, based on the sort of questions you are asking, adjust radio amp voltage sounds like a bad place to start learning how to do windows app development...

GSLEON3

Retired Senior Moderator
This is really not needed. The best solutgion for the outer 3G ranges where the device keeps pinging. looking, for 3G service & hence burning through the battery faster is to turn off 3G in the Comm Manager. That way it is forced to use Edge or GPRS & won't bother at all looking for 3G. There is no way to amplify the device reception (short of an antennae in the car/home or integrated into a cowboy hat), So forget about that.

Just go into the Comm Manager or the Settings & simply select to not use 3G in or to use only GPRS/Edge in Network Settings. Either way will save battery & you don't really need 3G unless you are surfing heavy sites or downloading/uploading files.