[Q] Restoring SMS/MMS from another phone

Search This thread

ShadowSKAR

Sep 6, 2012
I recently switched phones and would like to transfer all my SMS/MMS from my old phone. I've tried some apps from the Play Store but they seem to have difficulty with MMS. So then I tried to copy the mmssms.db and app_parts folder from /data/data/com.android.provider.telephony to the new phone but that didn't seem to work at all because no messages showed up.

What other options do I have?

cr1960

May 15, 2007
Melbourne
I recently switched phones and would like to transfer all my SMS/MMS from my old phone. I've tried some apps from the Play Store but they seem to have difficulty with MMS. So then I tried to copy the mmssms.db and app_parts folder from /data/data/com.android.provider.telephony to the new phone but that didn't seem to work at all because no messages showed up.

what is your old phone? (Make/model)?

ayo234

Nov 21, 2012

On the playstore there is an application called HTC Transfer Tool. Download that on your old phone. You have the same app on your HTC One either in the app drawer or in the settings app. But if you dont, download the same app on your htc one. Follow the instructions on screen and you should be fine.

ShadowSKAR

Sep 6, 2012
On the playstore there is an application called HTC Transfer Tool. Download that on your old phone. You have the same app on your HTC One either in the app drawer or in the settings app. But if you dont, download the same app on your htc one. Follow the instructions on screen and you should be fine.

I just tried that but unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. It says backing up on my old phone, and when that finishes, nothing actually gets transferred. On the HTC, it says received 0/0.

FauxAffliction

Oct 3, 2011
Topeka, Kansas
www.slimroms.net
Doesn't work either because it's not backing up all the messages.

Download sms backup and restore and I believe there's an option to either email it to yourself or upload it to Google drive then download the same program on your HTC and restore them..after downloading from your email or drive of course :)

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

ShadowSKAR

Sep 6, 2012
Download sms backup and restore and I believe there's an option to either email it to yourself or upload it to Google drive then download the same program on your HTC and restore them..after downloading from your email or drive of course :)

Sent from my HTC One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Are you referring to this one?
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.riteshsahu.SMSBackupRestore
Because if you are, I've already tried it. It seems to backup everything but when I try to restore it, not everything gets restored. Then comparing the mmssms.db from the old phone and new phone, there is a significant difference in file size, leading me to believe that MMS aren't getting copied.

Last edited:

RUUMan

Mar 30, 2014
What u can do is use the HTC messaging app backup feature and then browse yr phone for the folder called smsbackup. Copy it to somewhere safe. Do whatever u want then put back the folder back to yr phone and use the HTC messaging app use the restore function