Serious fail: microSD stuck in SIM slot

Search This thread

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
So I went on a cross border journey today to purchase a Springboard on craigslist at an excellent price.

I was very tired when I got home but wanted to tinker with it a bit before bed. I grabbed a microSD I had lying around and inserted it... straight into the SIM slot :-(

I have been trying a few things but avoiding using anything metal because it might damage the SIM contacts. Part of the problem now is, the card got pushed past the metal SIM contacts, and now it won't fall out on its own because the contacts are in the way.

Any ideas on how to save the tablet without damaging the ability to use a SIM card? I don't mind if the SD card gets destroyed.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: chekuhakim

kaft001

Mar 2, 2011
So I went on a cross border journey today to purchase a Springboard on craigslist at an excellent price.

I was very tired when I got home but wanted to tinker with it a bit before bed. I grabbed a microSD I had lying around and inserted it... straight into the SIM slot :-(

I have been trying a few things but avoiding using anything metal because it might damage the SIM contacts. Part of the problem now is, the card got pushed past the metal SIM contacts, and now it won't fall out on its own because the contacts are in the way.

Any ideas on how to save the tablet without damaging the ability to use a SIM card? I don't mind if the SD card gets destroyed.

Same thing happened to me. I solved the problem with a needle. :)

Sent from my Huawei MediaPad

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
What did you exactly do with the needle?

What I'm afraid of us that even if I do manage to coax it out, it could force one of the SIM contacts to bend backwards and snap. Then I'd really be boned.

There's a mall sort of on my way home from work that's full of Asian cell repair/unlock shops. Maybe one of them can help. For the price I paid (only $140 for tablet + leather case!) I don't mind forking out a bit more to protect it.

Worst case if it breaks I could see if T-Mobile can be charmed into doing a swap or sending it for repairs. It's just a hell of a haul for me to get out there - each way is an hour of driving time plus 30-60 minutes lining up for the border.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I left it with a shop that repairs all sorts of obscure mobile devices - they said if they can get it out they'll charge $30. I figure that's better than ruining it myself!

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
The shop said they had to disassemble it to get the card out, but didn't have to break any warranty seals or such. I will just call this a $30 lesson in humility...

doody

Nov 27, 2005
Serious fail here too.. I put an empty microsim converter in the slot and a SIM pin broke when I yanked it out. How did your repair go? Did they manage to open it up and get the SD card out?

I just removed the screws but couldn't get the back cover off :(

sjfinanceguy

Aug 16, 2011
Same issue here. Micro card went down the slot, tried yanking it out and got overly aggressive and the SIM slot is pulled apart and the SIM connections are a mess I need a reliable shop that can take care of this issue for me. Any suggestions?

thx

Sent from my SpringBoard using xda premium

sjfinanceguy

Aug 16, 2011
Nice snip. I guess I could just hot spot it from my ATT Galaxy Skyrocket, or use wifi. Yea I don't know what I was thinking to be honest.

But I would appreciate any information on this. If you know of a reliable source for the repair of these types of issues please let me know.

thanks

sj

WingCero

Aug 4, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Easy fix.
but risky

Get a Bobby Pin
Flatten it.
Remove the the stub at the end
Slide in and pry out the MicroSD card.

Did this like twice.

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Nice snip. I guess I could just hot spot it from my ATT Galaxy Skyrocket, or use wifi. Yea I don't know what I was thinking to be honest.

But I would appreciate any information on this. If you know of a reliable source for the repair of these types of issues please let me know.

thanks

sj

Again where do you live?

I went to a mainly Asian mall in the Vancouver area that has lots of obscure electronics shops where they know how to fix rare devices, and where I can soothe my technological anxieties with some nice bibimbap in a hot stone bowl. Is there an equivalent where you live?

andro41

Aug 8, 2012
Just did it

First post: come from a very old nokia phone, Thank you all for this splendid forum.

Was doing a lot of things at same time, copied modules to the sd card and pushed it in the sim slot.

I used a very small flat screwdriver and bent both sides of the cover of the simslot outwards, then you can lift it a little.
Turned around the media pad ,shaked it a little and voila the sd card came out, pushed and bent the sides back.
Pushed the three contacts back, on the second attempt the sim card was recognised, it has to stick out about three mm.
I think i broke the lock.

Hope this helps.

I am on cm9 now, but i can't find the thanks-button.

SunCatchy

May 31, 2014
paperclip

Hello!
I had the same problem today... stuck a micro SD in the SIM slot.
It got pass the golden gates(the sim contacts). But I actually managed to get it out so...

The solution was actually simple,but maby I just got lucky ... I used a paper clip, bent it sorta like a hook and tried to get it behind the micro card when it was at the end of the sim slot. It moved nicely since it has a lot of room there. I was careful not to touch the sim contacts and it worked. My sim works, the micro sd works, all well...

:)wish I knew I could use a paper clip before I opened my phone xD

Attachments

• 20140531_151053.jpg
    20140531_151053.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:
Jun 21, 2015
Fool Proof Extraction of mini SIM card from Springboard SIM Slot

Yes, I too push the small sized SIM all the way to the bottom of the slot.
Followed the directions of previous extraction: Bent an 1/16 " end on a paper clip.
This allowed me to move the small SIM in a slightly diagonal position as the bottom of the slot, allowing me to slip the hooked end under the chip.
With the screen facing you, the clip goes in on the left side which has the most side space away from the gold tangs
Now the question was how to get past the gold tangs that face the bottom of the SIM slot.
Cut an old credit card along the length to a width slightly less than the mini SIM width.
Insert the credit card (like a shoe horn) into the slot covering the tangs.
Pull gently on the paper clip and you will feel the small SIM bump the bottom of the credit card.
Slide both gently out so the SIM moves over the tangs as the credit card shoehorn moves out of the way.
Whew!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.