Towelroot works without unlocking bootloader!

Search This thread
Yesterday, Geohot released his Towelroot exploit here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2783157

Towelroot was made for the Verizon / AT&T Galaxy S5, reported working with the Note 3, and is supposed to work on pretty much any device with a kernel built before June 3. Since the TF701T has a kernel from Apr 18, I tried Towelroot on a completely stock TF701T and can report that I am now rooted without unlocking my boot loader.

Just leaving this here in case there are any further developments. I'd love to see how much can be done without voiding warranty through bootloader. At the very least, we have Xposed.

gg777

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks, it works very well. I want to know if I can install custom recovery without unlocking bootloader.

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
Confirmed! Works great. Are you using Chainfire or the regular superuser. Chainfire tells me I need to update the binary but fails to do it. Using regular superuser now.

issawillwin

Feb 12, 2014
plus.google.com
This is what i was looking for!!
We can at least get Xposed, Delete bloatwares, Starting Apps, Titanium Backup, Adaway.

But can someone confirm my doubts, Because this exploit works with before June kernels, it obviously means that if Asus bring us 4.4 we will not able to have a persistant root, except if a dev create a working LB custom recovery and then a Pre-rooted, zipaligned, deodexed 4.4 rom.

Am i wrong bros?

Envoyé de mon K00C en utilisant Tapatalk

johnciaccio

Aug 20, 2010
Works for now but 4.4 will most likely use the newer patched kernel. My Note 3 w I think KK is showing Kernel version 3.4 so KK may not have to use a kernel later then that.

This is what i was looking for!!
We can at least get Xposed, Delete bloatwares, Starting Apps, Titanium Backup, Adaway.

But can someone confirm my doubts, Because this exploit works with before June kernels, it obviously means that if Asus bring us 4.4 we will not able to have a persistant root, except if a dev create a working LB custom recovery and then a Pre-rooted, zipaligned, deodexed 4.4 rom.

Am i wrong bros?

Envoyé de mon K00C en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

hitmancho

Jun 18, 2011
Restoration and warranty concerns

Now, this might be a silly question for most Android users, and for me, but seeing as how I just can't trust my tablet that much with its wonkiness I have to ask: is it possible to "unroot" my device after using Towelroot and returning back to stock? Also, can ASUS see that I've been rooting my device, even though the bootloader has not been touched, and not accept my warranty?

issawillwin

Feb 12, 2014
plus.google.com
Now, this might be a silly question for most Android users, and for me, but seeing as how I just can't trust my tablet that much with its wonkiness I have to ask: is it possible to "unroot" my device after using Towelroot and returning back to stock? Also, can ASUS see that I've been rooting my device, even though the bootloader has not been touched, and not accept my warranty?
To unroot do a factory reset.

There is no flash count so Asus can't be aware of this.

correct me if i'm wrong !

Envoyé de mon C5303 en utilisant Tapatalk

Reactions: hitmancho

HeartWare42

Jul 17, 2012
Bagsværd
www.heartware.dk
I may be stupid, but how is this supposed to work? I download tr.apk and when I try to install it, my TF701 says "App not installed". Is it not a straight-forward one-click method, or is is more complicated than this? On some other threads, it seems that there is a step of connecting the phone to the PC and running an installation batch script. Is this true for the TF701 as well?

Can someone supply a step-by-step guide on how to do this? :)

Nixus_Maximus

Jun 13, 2011
You just have to allow third party apps in Security settings and then click and install the apk. No pc or script needed.

Gesendet von meinem Nexus 5 mit Tapatalk

HeartWare42

Jul 17, 2012
Bagsværd
www.heartware.dk
You just have to allow third party apps in Security settings and then click and install the apk. No pc or script needed.

I already have that (unless it somehow has reset itself - will check when I get home) - and it still said "App not installed" when I tried to install it.

It even came up and told me what permissions the application requested (which I don't think will happen, if I haven't enabled third party apps). Among those I saw an interesting one that I hadn't seen before - maybe that's the "root" cause of the exploit (pun intended :) )

Last edited:

HeartWare42

Jul 17, 2012
Bagsværd
www.heartware.dk
Very strange... I have two TF701s, and on the oldest one (JB 4.3, Kernel 3.4.57 Apr 18, build 10.26.1.28) the tr.apk won't install. On my recently bought TF701 (Still not updated, running JB 4.2.2, Kernel 3.4.35, Oct 22 2013, build 10.14.1.47) it ran without any problems.

Has anyone with the Apr 18 update run the TowelRoot exploit successfully on their TF701? :confused:

bertrand13

Jul 9, 2008
Marseille
Very strange... I have two TF701s, and on the oldest one (JB 4.3, Kernel 3.4.57 Apr 18, build 10.26.1.28) the tr.apk won't install. On my recently bought TF701 (Still not updated, running JB 4.2.2, Kernel 3.4.35, Oct 22 2013, build 10.14.1.47) it ran without any problems.

Has anyone with the Apr 18 update run the TowelRoot exploit successfully on their TF701? :confused:

I am running Apr 18 kernel and TowelRoot worked for me

I've installed de superuser.apk dowloaded from this thead and everything works !

Top Liked Posts