[Q] Any chance of activating this phone?

Search This thread

otto325

Jun 25, 2014
I live in Ontario, Canada and just bought a $30 Sprint CDMA HTC Evo3d from across the border(Buffalo NY) that works perfectly.

Since Rogers acquired Sprint Canada in 2005, I asked on Rogers forum if Rogers can activate this phone for use and they said no as Rogers only bought Sprint "home phone and long distance"...So I guess sprint wireless never even existed in Canada.

Is there any way of activating this phone in Canada with any other carrier, if it is unlocked perhaps? I already got it to s-off...

Also, I found this list of Sprint international carriers so maybe one of those companies(Canada) I can sign on with, or are these just for roaming coverage??

http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html#c

Trozzul

Jun 21, 2012
Seattle
I live in Ontario, Canada and just bought a $30 Sprint CDMA HTC Evo3d from across the border(Buffalo NY) that works perfectly.

Since Rogers acquired Sprint Canada in 2005, I asked on Rogers forum if Rogers can activate this phone for use and they said no as Rogers only bought Sprint "home phone and long distance"...So I guess sprint wireless never even existed in Canada.

Is there any way of activating this phone in Canada with any other carrier, if it is unlocked perhaps? I already got it to s-off...

Also, I found this list of Sprint international carriers so maybe one of those companies(Canada) I can sign on with, or are these just for roaming coverage??

http://www.sprint.com/popups/pop-gprsCarriers.html#c

Rogers is GSM right? i dont think it would work since you said its a CDMA device.

otto325

Jun 25, 2014
thats true you could ask them, though be careful what you say, don't just say hey i want to use this on a different carrier.

Turns out you need the MSL password to access the EPST *edit* menu(CDMA frequencies and phone identity info for the new carrier to program in)

MSL can be obtained by ROOT app called "MSL Reader"

:) hope this helps someone some day