[Recovery] Rogue XM Touch Recovery v1.5.0-R1 (CWM-based v5.0.2.8) [2012-05-25]

Search This thread

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8
Looks like somewhere around CWM 4 is when the switch to tar was made. It has better the speed along with the ability to back up and restore the correct filesystem. Sounds like the progress thing was added somewhere around then as well.
[ Found here: https[colon]//plus.google[dot]com/103583939320326217147/posts/G4VQuCpR25y Sorry, can't make outside links yet. ]

Looking at a kernel zip, it uses dd to put the blob in /dev/block/mmcblk0p4, which is also where the recovery goes... I clearly need to learn more about what's going on here when flashing a kernel or recovery to the same thing and what the function of the blob is.

Looking in the nandroid backuip system tar though, it grabs the /system/lib/modules folder which some kernel zips add to, so the nandroid is backing that up. I'm not sure if nandroid, at least in its current state, is able to back up or restore the kernel itself because of the whole blob thing?

Hmm, perhaps I should make a feature list instead of just saying look at the Xoom release thread! :p

Hey - thanks for looking this over. I think that right now using your git code that produces cache.*, data.* , and system.*, and looking at the code, that it appears that it figures out whether boot is encrypted and decides to use a blob or not, and in tf101 case, it does. It appears to make one in data.*.tar which I'll yank apart and look for it in. I may be getting some runtime parameter guessed wrong so maybe not data. The other versions of v5.*.* seem to create their own boot.img which either is a blob write or not depending on the same criteria.

I thought it would be pretty useful, since I've used this feature on other cwm's to be able to restore only a kernel from some backup using advanced restore so am trying to see if can be implemented here but a lot to learn for sure.

I think the entire thing would be much easier if I knew how to create a logfile of the backups and restores at the cwm level. It looks like there are nearly enough "debug writes" so that with the addition of a couple more it would be useful. Without knowing what was passed to these many functions, the thing becomes too much guesswork. I might try to ask you a question or so via message if you don't mind.

One thing that got me curious was trying to answer to Q&A questions about non-booting restores. Made me wonder if the kernel was even being restored via what is being backed up and restored by 3.x right now. Yeah, I can see the /system/lib/modules is handled but that would make matter even worse without the blob restore. What I've noticed doing this myself has be inconclusive so far. If I had a good kernel that matched the modules both to start with before restore and after then everything worked fine. If not, then it didn't. If I then flashed a kernel, then all was well. More to it than is easy to see for sure.

Anyway, thanks - Mick

EDIT: I booted my linux box and copied over the backup made with your version of cwm (which backs up the same stuff as the 3.x only to .tar files), and there is no sign of the kernel being backed up at all. It is not in data.*.tar , nor system.*.tar, or cache.*.tar, and that is all there is.

This gives me a lot less faith in counting on cwm as a backup of any real use until this if figured out. Yeah, it backs up 99.9% of the stuff and makes it easy to restore, but after you're done, you'll need to either have had the same or similar kernel you had before so that the modules fit it, or else you'll have to burn a kernel immediately if you're to boot.

Anyway, I'll look around at how the code is doing this, and see why we can't use all the blob and boot tools that are around to create a 'boot.*.tar' archive along with the others that just blows a blob out to block m*4 and gets this done.

It seems like a big oversight, and I'm not 100% sure it's correct, but I'm close to sure. It definitely isn't in my archives so I think this is on the right track.

Last edited:

rburrow

Jan 14, 2012
Hey - thanks for looking this over. I think that right now using your git code that produces cache.*, data.* , and system.*, and looking at the code, that it appears that it figures out whether boot is encrypted and decides to use a blob or not, and in tf101 case, it does. It appears to make one in data.*.tar which I'll yank apart and look for it in. I may be getting some runtime parameter guessed wrong so maybe not data. The other versions of v5.*.* seem to create their own boot.img which either is a blob write or not depending on the same criteria.

I thought it would be pretty useful, since I've used this feature on other cwm's to be able to restore only a kernel from some backup using advanced restore so am trying to see if can be implemented here but a lot to learn for sure.

I think the entire thing would be much easier if I knew how to create a logfile of the backups and restores at the cwm level. It looks like there are nearly enough "debug writes" so that with the addition of a couple more it would be useful. Without knowing what was passed to these many functions, the thing becomes too much guesswork. I might try to ask you a question or so via message if you don't mind.

One thing that got me curious was trying to answer to Q&A questions about non-booting restores. Made me wonder if the kernel was even being restored via what is being backed up and restored by 3.x right now. Yeah, I can see the /system/lib/modules is handled but that would make matter even worse without the blob restore. What I've noticed doing this myself has be inconclusive so far. If I had a good kernel that matched the modules both to start with before restore and after then everything worked fine. If not, then it didn't. If I then flashed a kernel, then all was well. More to it than is easy to see for sure.

Anyway, thanks - Mick

Right now it the recovery skips backing up /boot and /recovery because they're left out of the recovery.fstab, which is how 3.2.0.1 skips them I believe. I originally had them in when I was trying stock CWM Recovery 5.2.0.7 and it would flip out trying to back up because of /boot and /recovery, I forget exactly what it said.

There is an option in the Advanced menu to show the log, then the option of "report error" should put that file in the /sdcard/clockworkmod/ directory, but i'm not sure if it provides anything useful in this case.

Would be interesting to do some backups and restores with different kernels and confirm that the kernel isn't being changed.

EDIT: I booted my linux box and copied over the backup made with your version of cwm (which backs up the same stuff as the 3.x only to .tar files), and there is no sign of the kernel being backed up at all. It is not in data.*.tar , nor system.*.tar, or cache.*.tar, and that is all there is.

This gives me a lot less faith in counting on cwm as a backup of any real use until this if figured out. Yeah, it backs up 99.9% of the stuff and makes it easy to restore, but after you're done, you'll need to either have had the same or similar kernel you had before so that the modules fit it, or else you'll have to burn a kernel immediately if you're to boot.

Anyway, I'll look around at how the code is doing this, and see why we can't use all the blob and boot tools that are around to create a 'boot.*.tar' archive along with the others that just blows a blob out to block m*4 and gets this done.

It seems like a big oversight, and I'm not 100% sure it's correct, but I'm close to sure. It definitely isn't in my archives so I think this is on the right track.

Yeah, right now it would seem that CWM (this one and the older versions) can't handle backing up the kernel because it requires blobs. I'm not actually sure how to get the boot or recovery from this device, so I'm going to have to read up on all that. It would be pretty nice to work something in to handle backing up and restoring /boot, /recovery and the kernel for this or anything else that uses a similar format.

On a side note, I just noticed that the up, down, enter and back buttons on the keyboard work in recovery... I swear I tried that before I originally posted this recovery and they didn't work.

bob dylan

Jun 13, 2010
Right now it the recovery skips backing up /boot and /recovery because they're left out of the recovery.fstab, which is how 3.2.0.1 skips them I believe. I originally had them in when I was trying stock CWM Recovery 5.2.0.7 and it would flip out trying to back up because of /boot and /recovery, I forget exactly what it said.

There is an option in the Advanced menu to show the log, then the option of "report error" should put that file in the /sdcard/clockworkmod/ directory, but i'm not sure if it provides anything useful in this case.

Would be interesting to do some backups and restores with different kernels and confirm that the kernel isn't being changed.

Yeah, right now it would seem that CWM (this one and the older versions) can't handle backing up the kernel because it requires blobs. I'm not actually sure how to get the boot or recovery from this device, so I'm going to have to read up on all that. It would be pretty nice to work something in to handle backing up and restoring /boot, /recovery and the kernel for this or anything else that uses a similar format.

On a side note, I just noticed that the up, down, enter and back buttons on the keyboard work in recovery... I swear I tried that before I originally posted this recovery and they didn't work.
Nah the keybord has always worked in CWM

hachamacha

Jun 15, 2010
Honor 8

Hi - I think this is doable. If I can write a simple installer-script to write a blob that is the kernel, and lots of people have done that, then there's no good reason why we can't do that here as well.

I guess the complicated part is creating the blob from the boot partition using android native tools. Is that complicated? Not sure. It might just be that the blobpack,unpack,bootunpack,pack etc tools are easily cross-compiled for android (or not).

Then again there might be a bunch of good reasons why no one has yet done this but unless someone chimes in with them, I vote for reinventing the wheel ;)

Then this thing could have boot and recovery backups as well.

I have a pretty good idea what the nature of the errors mean when /boot and /recovery are in fstab, and it is somehow related to encryption of these two partitions.

By the way: I sent a message to one of the mods here asking them to move this to the DEV forum but I didn't know the best one to send it to so just picked one at random.

MassStash

Sep 26, 2008
Chicago
Wouldn't work for me if I had the mouse off button enabled. Had it off, mouse on, and keyboard works in recovery has been my experience

--Rockin' RevolverROMz on the eeePad

rburrow

Jan 14, 2012
Nah the keybord has always worked in CWM

Wouldn't work for me if I had the mouse off button enabled. Had it off, mouse on, and keyboard works in recovery has been my experience

--Rockin' RevolverROMz on the eeePad

Crazy... never realized it worked, I read that it did but I could never get it to. It seems sketchy for me though, sometimes it works and other times it doesn't.

Hi - I think this is doable. If I can write a simple installer-script to write a blob that is the kernel, and lots of people have done that, then there's no good reason why we can't do that here as well.

I guess the complicated part is creating the blob from the boot partition using android native tools. Is that complicated? Not sure. It might just be that the blobpack,unpack,bootunpack,pack etc tools are easily cross-compiled for android (or not).

Then again there might be a bunch of good reasons why no one has yet done this but unless someone chimes in with them, I vote for reinventing the wheel ;)

Then this thing could have boot and recovery backups as well.

I have a pretty good idea what the nature of the errors mean when /boot and /recovery are in fstab, and it is somehow related to encryption of these two partitions.

By the way: I sent a message to one of the mods here asking them to move this to the DEV forum but I didn't know the best one to send it to so just picked one at random.

It's possible nobody did it because there were bigger fish to fry maybe? Probably the same reason nobody bothered building anything newer than 3.2.0.1. It did help a lot that someone did all the hard work already and made all the modifications with Rogue Recovery, it just worked as-is. All I really needed to do was tell it what filesystems to use and where everything was mounted.

It would be pretty nice to have it back up the kernel and recovery, there were several times where I backed up before flashing a kernel because I wanted to be able to go back... clearly that was pretty much pointless! Is it even possible to "extract" the kernel from within the device though? I'm under the impression that it gets encrypted when flashed so I don't know how we could get it back once it's there... I need to read more about the blob thing.

And thanks for PM'ing a mod, would be nice to possibly have the attention of more devs that might have input on the backing up and restoring kernel issue. Not to mention that I doubt anyone goes to themes/apps looking for recoveries.

Shaquiel Harris

Feb 9, 2009
Los Angeles
just rooted with nachoroot but for some reason nvflash isn't working for anything.. can't flash a rom or run nvflash at all i don't know why nvflash won't work.. yes the drivers and everything is installed correctly and i booted correctly into apx mode.. anyway to flash using adb or something or rom manager?

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
just rooted with nachoroot but for some reason nvflash isn't working for anything.. can't flash a rom or run nvflash at all i don't know why nvflash won't work.. yes the drivers and everything is installed correctly and i booted correctly into apx mode.. anyway to flash using adb or something or rom manager?

You probably have the newer SBK which doesn't work with nvflash.
Use RecoveryInstaller, it will flash CWM version 3.2.0.1 on your tablet.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=19319421

If you want to update than come back here and get this version.

Shaquiel Harris

Feb 9, 2009
Los Angeles

How embarrasing, Thank you. Was getting driven up a wall trying to figure out why nvflash wasn't working.

---------- Post added at 07:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:54 AM ----------

i used the app to install, but how exactly do you boot into recovery from the tablet? using ROM manager isn't working, just reboots the device.

baseballfanz

Oct 19, 2010
Sugar Land TX
Samsung Galaxy A52 5G
but how exactly do you boot into recovery from the tablet? using ROM manager isn't working, just reboots the device.

Push and hold Vol Down plus the Power button,
When you see words scrolling at the top left of the TF
Immediate push Vol Up within 5 secs to get into recovery.

You could also use this app (but get to know the manual method above in case you ever find yourself in a boot loop).
https://market.android.com/details?...sMSwyLDEsImNvbS50cmFuc2Zvcm1lci5yZWNvdmVyeSJd

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Restore issues

I tried making a backup in this recovery yesterday and ran into some issues. I was playing around with an Ubuntu dual-boot and did a full Titanium backup and a nandroid backup to be safe (and hopefully able to restore more quickly). For the nandroid part, I went in to the advanced backup / restore options and backed up everything that it would let me.
When I got done playing around with the dual-boot and decided it wasn't quite ready for prime-time, I reinstalled my Revolver 3.11 ROM from a nvflash and had to also reinstall this recovery. I went to restore the nandroid backup, first just trying to restore the system and data backups. The system backup seemed to restore fine (don't know about the kernel part though because I didn't, at first, try to restore the boot backup). After several attempts though, the data backup would not restore successfully, each time ending with 'an error restoring data.
After, that I spent most of the day getting all restored back with Titanium, Google market, and Amazon Appstore. I've also been having some issues with Titanium backup working properly. I tried to restore the nandroid with Titanium and it seemed to work, sort of, but when I went to settings, applications and looked at the list, most of them seemed to be there but most just had some generic icon and weren't showing the friendly name, but the market link name.
I couldn't tell if this messed up my wi-fi or if the Market was just down part of the day. I reflashed several times just to be sure. I think it was something screwy with the Market or it's app not working right until certain apps got updated. Anyway, it started working again this afternoon and I got everything put back in place.

Sharpe351

Jul 3, 2011
Central Florida
Thanks for building this. Works great. Much faster than its predecessor. Love the speed of backups.

sent from my ASUS Transformer running 8.6.5.21 using Tapatalk

mafo5000

Jan 17, 2011
Is this stable and usable for everyday flashing? Or does it need to be worked on?
Just wondering if i should flash this or not...

Sharpe351

Jul 3, 2011
Central Florida
Can someone confirm wether or not this version will flash a kernal blob? Just like to test it. I want to make sure. It seems to have worked on mine.

Last edited:

easypanic

Feb 16, 2009
Kortrijk
Hmmm,

can't get two (yes,2 :) different sd cards mount in CWM 3. I installed that throught the Market, to install the Revolver ROM.
Now I'm having trouble to flash this recovery. Cannot get it as said via recovery, from Windows it says 'usb write failed'. I rooted with Razorclaw and check again with PrimeTime, no problem with root.

easypanic

Feb 16, 2009
Kortrijk
Right, solved my own problem :).

I took the recoveryblob from this zip recovery and switched it with the recoveryblob from RecoveryInstaller.apk :). Had to use APKEdit in order to do it :).

sidneyk

Nov 16, 2011
Bonner Springs, KS
Can someone confirm wether or not this version will flash a kernal blob? Just like to test it. I want to make sure. It seems to have worked on mine.

It most certainly will, as long as it is contained within a CWM flashable .zip file. I've done it several times already, most recently about 5 minutes ago.

---------- Post added at 12:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:03 PM ----------

Is this stable and usable for everyday flashing? Or does it need to be worked on?
Just wondering if i should flash this or not...

It seems to be pretty much stable. Just be careful on the wipe screen because the top item defaults to factory wipe. I tried to do a restore from a backup I made and failed. Either my backup was corrupt or some work may be needed there.

Reactions: Sharpe351

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Rogue XM Touch Recovery v1.5.0-R1
    (CWM-based Recovery v5.0.2.8)

For the Asus Transformer TF101

First off, thank you to...

Team Rogue
    Koush
    CyanogenMod Team
    j-r0dd
    Solarnz
    Roach2010​

All I did slap together all their hard work to make it work on the TF101.

Sources

Rogue Recovery

The source and more info for Rouge Recovery is available in the Xoom release thread from Team Rogue. I have not made any modifications to it to work with the TF101. You can find that thread here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1235170

The discussion of the touch release in that thread begins here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1235170&page=13#123

Recovery Kernel

I used the kernel from Roach2010's ClockworkMod Recovery 3.2.0.1 release here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723

Device Tree

Mostly based on AOKP's TF101 device tree, just picked out the parts needed to compile the recovery. Particularly BoardConfig.mk:
    https://github.com/rburrow87/android_device_asus_tf101_recoveryonly

Updates

[2012-05-25] 1.5.0-R1 (5028-based)

Updated to Rogue XM Recovery v1.5.0 which is touch-enabled with the same features as before. See the Xoom release thread for more information on Rogue Recovery:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1235170

Can also finally use the boot to recovery option available in some ROMs thanks to the recovery boot loop fix from Roach2010 from here:
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1213723

Workaround for small menu targets

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=26142147&postcount=151

If I can figure out a way to just make the menu items taller, I'll make an update. Otherwise I'm waiting for Rogue to implement it first.​

[2012-01-14] 1.3.0-R1 (5027-based)

Original release, non-touch​

Info

Mounting as USB storage does not work. (Accessing the tablet or SD card from your computer when plugged in via USB)​

Installation

I tested this the best I could, but use at your own risk. I am not liable for data loss, spontaneous combustion, temporal anomalies, or anything in between.

Just flash the attached zip from CWM.

There's also an nvflash version that has the recovery.img in it and will only flash the recovery if you prefer that method. Or just so you don't have to unpack the blob file if you need the recovery.img.​

Misc:

I did this because I thought it'd be nice to have a newer recovery for our TF101s, but also because I want to learn to do some sort of development even if it's just building for similar devices. I'm still new to using anything like git or using C/Java like this so don't expect miracles right away if bugs come up! I have some experience with other languages, but not in this kind of application.
    How do I install this with nvflash?
    Download the nvflash version in the OP
    Put tf into APX mode
    Open the Cwm nvflash folder, click on download_sos_only.bat
    Thank you, looks nice. Doing a nand backup right now with it.

Awesome! :)

there was someone in one of the ics threads, looking for this, they,ll be chuffed to bits.

Sent from my HTC Desire using XDA App

I saw that post! I've been watching that thread and trying it out when there's an update.

Cam you just rename this img if u wanna flash with nvflash?

Sent from my Dell Streak using Tapatalk

To do that, you have to extract the zip and then unpack the blob file... but I updated the OP with an extra nvflash version that flashes just the recovery and gives you the recovery.img.
    Thread moved to Development.