[Q] Help with boot loop on brand new HTC One

Search This thread

djdead23

Oct 30, 2010
Houston
So I RMAd my last HTC One Google Play Edition for hardware issues and the new one arrived yesterday. I haven't sent the malfunctioning one back yet, thankfully. I still have a few days before it needs to be in the mail.

Before first boot, I unlocked the bootloader via htcdev. After initial boot, I entered in my google account info, then downloaded all available app and OTA updates (which put me at 4.4.2), etc. By then it was really late so I let it sit overnight with no SIM card in it yet. Today, I flashed CWM and made a nandroid backup, then pushed SuperSU 1.91 to root it. When I finally tried booting into OS again, it started with the boot loop. The desktop shows up for a few seconds then the device reboots. I can get into bootloader and fastboot, but since it's still S-On I have no way to do a proper RUU flash. I can get back into recovery by "fastboot erase cache" followed by "factory reset" from bootloader/hboot screen. The factory reset strangely loads the recovery (or maybe that's what it's supposed to do), but actually choosing recovery from bootloader still tries to boot OS and I'm back in the boot loop. I tried restoring the nandroid backup I made with CWM to no avail. Boot loop persists. I really don't know what else to try here and I'd rather not do the dance with google support again. Any suggestions?

Here's my current fastboot getvar:

$ fastboot getvar all
(bootloader) version: 0.5
(bootloader) version-bootloader: 1.54.0000
(bootloader) version-baseband: 4T.21.3218.21
(bootloader) version-cpld: None
(bootloader) version-microp: None
(bootloader) version-main: (Yes, this is showing as blank.)
(bootloader) version-misc: PVT SHIP S-ON
(bootloader) serialno: x
(bootloader) imei: x
(bootloader) meid: 00000000000000
(bootloader) product: m7_ul
(bootloader) platform: HBOOT-8064
(bootloader) modelid: PN0712000
(bootloader) cidnum: GOOGL001
(bootloader) battery-status: good
(bootloader) battery-voltage: 4290mV
(bootloader) partition-layout: Generic
(bootloader) security: on
(bootloader) build-mode: SHIP
(bootloader) boot-mode: FASTBOOT
(bootloader) commitno-bootloader: dirty-0e82187e
(bootloader) hbootpreupdate: 11
(bootloader) gencheckpt: 0
all: Done!
finished. total time: 0.042s

(The first malfunctioning device is a touch screen issue, not anything like this. That phone is happily unlocked, S-Off and rooted until I prep it to send it back once the new device is functioning properly.)

Any successful suggestion will get lots of thanks and I'm not above tossing a few bucks of donation money out either.

Thanks in advance for any help you gurus can give.

-/djdead

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
So I RMAd my last HTC One Google Play Edition for hardware issues and the new one arrived yesterday. I haven't sent the malfunctioning one back yet, thankfully. I still have a few days before it needs to be in the mail.

Before first boot, I unlocked the bootloader via htcdev. After initial boot, I entered in my google account info, then downloaded all available app and OTA updates (which put me at 4.4.2), etc. By then it was really late so I let it sit overnight with no SIM card in it yet. Today, I flashed CWM and made a nandroid backup, then pushed SuperSU 1.91 to root it. When I finally tried booting into OS again, it started with the boot loop. The desktop shows up for a few seconds then the device reboots. I can get into bootloader and fastboot, but since it's still S-On I have no way to do a proper RUU flash. I can get back into recovery by "fastboot erase cache" followed by "factory reset" from bootloader/hboot screen. The factory reset strangely loads the recovery (or maybe that's what it's supposed to do), but actually choosing recovery from bootloader still tries to boot OS and I'm back in the boot loop. I tried restoring the nandroid backup I made with CWM to no avail. Boot loop persists. I really don't know what else to try here and I'd rather not do the dance with google support again. Any suggestions?

Here's my current fastboot getvar:

[...]

(The first malfunctioning device is a touch screen issue, not anything like this. That phone is happily unlocked, S-Off and rooted until I prep it to send it back once the new device is functioning properly.)

Any successful suggestion will get lots of thanks and I'm not above tossing a few bucks of donation money out either.

Thanks in advance for any help you gurus can give.

-/djdead

Yes, your phone is supposed to enter the recovery after factory reset in bootloader if you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM.
Maybe you want to make full wipe within the recovery(I wouldn't remember that you did it)... just wipe everything (including sdcard) except system.

If the bootloop still persists, try flashing a custom ROM... for example ARHD;
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356654

Don't use the stock one... use the altered..
And if you managed to boot your phone -> Go instantaneously S OFF

If this doesn't work, or if you don't understand my explanation, just ask...

P.S.
Remember: only if you quote or mention me, I'll be notified and I'll be able to provide further help :cowboy:

djdead23

Oct 30, 2010
Houston
First, thanks for your response. =)

Yes, your phone is supposed to enter the recovery after factory reset in bootloader if you have a custom recovery like TWRP or CWM.
Maybe you want to make full wipe within the recovery(I wouldn't remember that you did it)... just wipe everything (including sdcard) except system.

I did try formatting everything via custom recovery before I restored from my nandroid, even sdcard and system. I have also tried just wiping data and sdcard. No luck. I think I used TWRM, but may have been CWM. I've swapped them out a few times trying to get out of my boot loop. It's a brand new phone so there is no data on it that I care about yet. Is there some other way I should try wiping it? I've looked at most of the soft brick guides that have solutions but they all instruct you to get S-Off first, which I obviously can't do if the OS won't boot up for more than a few seconds. Rumrunner is what I used on my old HTC One with success, but haven't been able to try it yet.

If the bootloop still persists, try flashing a custom ROM... for example ARHD;
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2356654

Don't use the stock one... use the altered..
And if you managed to boot your phone -> Go instantaneously S OFF

ARHD says specifically that it requires S-Off to install. Are you suggesting I try it anyway without S-Off? =)

I'm currently downloading both the ARHD Google Edition 6.1 and the v51.0 from their blogspot site. Will have to try them after I get to work. I'll check here first when I get to the office, and will post any results I get, otherwise.

Thanks again!

-/djdead

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013

I did try formatting everything via custom recovery before I restored from my nandroid, even sdcard and system. I have also tried just wiping data and sdcard. No luck. I think I used TWRM, but may have been CWM. I've swapped them out a few times trying to get out of my boot loop. It's a brand new phone so there is no data on it that I care about yet. Is there some other way I should try wiping it? I've looked at most of the soft brick guides that have solutions but they all instruct you to get S-Off first, which I obviously can't do if the OS won't boot up for more than a few seconds. Rumrunner is what I used on my old HTC One with success, but haven't been able to try it yet.

Ah ok.... maybe you have a corrupt data partition.. then this guide might help you:
http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.ch/2013/10/fix-data-htc-one.html

As far as I know you don't need s off to do that...
This procedure will delete and reformat(not fakeformat - it will recreate the whole partition) your data partition. Just follow the guide carefully..

ARHD says specifically that it requires S-Off to install. Are you suggesting I try it anyway without S-Off? =)

I'm currently downloading both the ARHD Google Edition 6.1 and the v51.0 from their blogspot site. Will have to try them after I get to work. I'll check here first when I get to the office, and will post any results I get, otherwise.

Thanks again!

-/djdead

Sorry... didn't think about that. Yeah. then just install one of the previous versions that don't need s off...
but don't try it without s off... you'll get a even more nasty bootloop.. just don't it's a very very bad idea ;)

good luck :good:

Reactions: djdead23

Uxepro

Oct 18, 2013
Impruneta

Thanks again!

-/djdead

You don't need S-OFF for ARHD! Only unlocked bootloader :)

djdead23

Oct 30, 2010
Houston
Ah ok.... maybe you have a corrupt data partition.. then this guide might help you:

This procedure will delete and reformat(not fakeformat - it will recreate the whole partition) your data partition. Just follow the guide carefully..

Ok. I'll try this before trying ARHD. Will post results in a bit...

djdead23

Oct 30, 2010
Houston
ok.. that thing with s off doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.. so just flash the latest version

Ok. I flashed ARHD 51.0, and it's been sitting at the initial "START" for a good 30 seconds without rebooting. Gonna walk through the setup process...

*walks through setup process*

Ok. I have a desktop and it isn't boot looping.

MUCH THANKS!

Should it be possible to go back to stock KitKat now?

Ideally, I'd like to nandroid backup my current HTC One, return it to stock, S-On, locked, etc. Mail it back to google, and restore its nandroid backup to the new device.

-/djdead

Last edited:

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Ok. I flashed ARHD 51.0, and it's been sitting at the initial "START" for a good 30 seconds without rebooting. Gonna walk through the setup process...

MUCH THANKS!

Ideally, I'd like to nandroid backup my current HTC One, return it to stock, S-On, locked, etc. Mail it back to google, and restore its nandroid backup to the new device.

-/djdead

Yeah you can go back to stock KitKat with the following rom:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2341395
It's not 100% stock... but if you'd like to go 100% stock you mist first go s off then flash a GPE RUU:
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2358781
After that you can lock (not relock) your bootloader following this guide
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2475914
And to go s on is not recommanded!!! Just don't go back s on...! And because you are GPE I don't know how it'd work... if it works differently.. or something similar.. sry..

But remember:
Going back S-ON with an altered bootloader will inevitably and instantaneously hard brick your device

Edit:
I don't understand why you want to return it to google

djdead23

Oct 30, 2010
Houston
It's not 100% stock... but if you'd like to go 100% stock you mist first go s off then flash a GPE RUU:
And to go s on is not recommanded!!! Just don't go back s on...! And because you are GPE I don't know how it'd work... if it works differently.. or something similar.. sry..
Yes, I'm doing S-Off first thing before I make any other changes to it. That is my very next step as soon as I have a few minutes to devote to it.

Edit:

I have two HTC One devices. The old one has a touch screen issue, and I am in the process of RMAing it. The new device they sent me to replace it is the one I was having the boot loop issue with. The HTC One with the malfunctioning touchscreen is getting sent back to them, probably tomorrow, as soon as I get the replacement one working properly. I really didn't want to have to call google support again to tell them I was having issues with the new device they sent to replace the old one with. =)

Thanks given where possible. Will post status update later after S-Off attempt and hopefully return to stock kitkat.

Reactions: LibertyMarine

LibertyMarine

Sep 26, 2013
Yes, I'm doing S-Off first thing before I make any other changes to it. That is my very next step as soon as I have a few minutes to devote to it.

Ok, good luck...

I have two HTC One devices. The old one has a touch screen issue, and I am in the process of RMAing it. The new device they sent me to replace it is the one I was having the boot loop issue with. The HTC One with the malfunctioning touchscreen is getting sent back to them, probably tomorrow, as soon as I get the replacement one working properly. I really didn't want to have to call google support again to tell them I was having issues with the new device they sent to replace the old one with. =)

Thanks given where possible. Will post status update later after S-Off attempt and hopefully return to stock kitkat.

yeah.. that would be annoying to call google a second time... :) ok I think RUU and then locking the bootloader is the best thing you can do... going back s on is just a risk that won't be compensated by the expectet results.. so my recommandation.. let it be and send it back with s off

Edit: Related to the the thanks... you are awesome... most users don't even show a sing of gratitude.. so don't worry mate !

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

http://android-revolution-hd.blogspot.ch/2013/10/fix-data-htc-one.html

Thanks again!

-/djdead

Sorry... didn't think about that. Yeah. then just install one of the previous versions that don't need s off...
    but don't try it without s off... you'll get a even more nasty bootloop.. just don't it's a very very bad idea ;)

Thanks again!

-/djdead

You don't need S-OFF for ARHD! Only unlocked bootloader :)
    Ok. I'll try this before trying ARHD. Will post results in a bit...

ok.. that thing with s off doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.. so just flash the latest version

MUCH THANKS!

-/djdead

But remember:
    Going back S-ON with an altered bootloader will inevitably and instantaneously hard brick your device

Edit:

Edit: