Kernel wakelock mdm_hsic_pm0?

Search This thread

Aria807

Dec 31, 2010
Dallas
I just googled what PRL is, and I don't think it applies to T-mobile. And sorry I'm on the Sprint Note 2 forum. The T-mobile one doesn't have as much activity for some reason regarding this wakelock. If it is indeed a CM fix, then I'll just have to wait things out then. Development is a big slow for T-mobile roms.

tomkins0752

Dec 11, 2012
Some dump in the south
I'm glad to hear someone is trying to work on this. My GN2 suffers from this wakelock on TW and stock roms.

The only wakelock that seems to top this one, for me, is the "PowerManagerService" wakelock.

jefbal99

Aug 26, 2010
Scott has posted a test build that appears to mitigate the mdm_hsic_pm0 wakelock. It is still there, but only 5 mins over 8 hrs overnight.

jefbal99

Aug 26, 2010
Good to hear that is at least a 60% reduction from what I've seen...although mdm_hsic seems to go crazy the most if WiFi is left on while moving and unconnected to a wifi network.

I always disable wifi as I'm walking out of the house. Also, last night wifi was off, however, I've had the wakelock regardless of wifi status.

thechaoz

Dec 14, 2011
Ya ask never figured it out.doubt it's location..I have everything location wise disabled and no gps...

Oh well..No answers all over the world wide web..thought it might be something for the motion on the note because I've never seen it on any other phones I've had

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
Bump - Any more info on this?

I flashed Avatar 2.1 and I'm now getting this wakelock (and horrid battery life!)

M00_cow

Apr 13, 2008

I flashed Avatar 2.1 and I'm now getting this wakelock (and horrid battery life!)

Just an FYI, this issue isn't only on the Note 2. I have an S3 4G and it's destroying my battery life. Currently staring down the barrel of ~7-10% battery drain per hour :/

Absolutely no idea why or where the issue comes from. If you pull your battery, the problem lessens for a little while.

Reactions: ChadiEM and altimuh

jerm1027

Dec 24, 2010

I think it's just an app running the background. I think the mdm_hsic_pm0 is a generic process, possibly for location based services. I've noticed the mdm process running when Google Maps was running, when my GPS tracker was running. I don't think it's directly related to GPS, as I've also noticed it with GPS disabled, but it might be a generic host process.

Best I got is close down some of those background programs and processes. It hasn't been much of an issue for me lately.

UPDATE: I just recalled an 8 hour wakelock I had a last night. I had aDownloader running; again, the mdm_hsic_pm0 threw the wakelock. It might be a host process for a type of radio activity...

Last edited:

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
I think it's just an app running the background. I think the mdm_hsic_pm0 is a generic process, possibly for location based services. I've noticed the mdm process running when Google Maps was running, when my GPS tracker was running. I don't think it's directly related to GPS, as I've also noticed it with GPS disabled, but it might be a generic host process.

Best I got is close down some of those background programs and processes. It hasn't been much of an issue for me lately.

UPDATE: I just recalled an 8 hour wakelock I had a last night. I had aDownloader running; again, the mdm_hsic_pm0 threw the wakelock. It might be a host process for a type of radio activity...

Thanks for the response - my complaint with that answer is that I never had this wakelock running any touchwiz rom - it only surfaced when I switched over to AOSP. I use the same exact apps as before. If it is an app - why is AOSP allowing the app to go rogue?

jerm1027

Dec 24, 2010
Thanks for the response - my complaint with that answer is that I never had this wakelock running any touchwiz rom - it only surfaced when I switched over to AOSP. I use the same exact apps as before. If it is an app - why is AOSP allowing the app to go rogue?

Maybe a driver related issue? As I've said, it hasn't been much of an issue for me since I've been using Sons of Android B4. It still pops up every now and then, but it's a minor nuisance now.

altimuh

Feb 8, 2011
Anyone still have this wakelock?

I'm currently on:
CM 10.1 5/11 nightly (LTE problems in later nightlys have kept me on this one)
Plasma 1.65 (problem was even before the kernel flash)

If I kill all recent apps (long press home and dump all) and routinely pull my battery this wakelock isn't horrible, but if I don't, battery life blows.

DarkManX4lf

May 11, 2007
NYC
Anyone still have this wakelock?

I'm currently on:
CM 10.1 5/11 nightly (LTE problems in later nightlys have kept me on this one)
Plasma 1.65 (problem was even before the kernel flash)

If I kill all recent apps (long press home and dump all) and routinely pull my battery this wakelock isn't horrible, but if I don't, battery life blows.

I still have it on 5/28 nightly.

sgtpepperaut

Jul 20, 2006
running jedi x15 on a Tmobile version of the note 2. Originally had the Fast dormancy wakelock as well. Disabled fast dormancy but the mdm_hsic_pm0 remained. loosing battery like crazy. Is there a fix? i have two tmobile T-889 devices with jedi and it happens on both of them. It does not appear to be gps related.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64527727/screenshots/Screenshot_2013-07-04-13-23-48.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64527727/screenshots/Screenshot_2013-07-06-10-04-47.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64527727/screenshots/Screenshot_2013-07-06-12-17-44.png

i disabled auto sync and even turned of the radio to see what the issue was ...things improved but wakelock remained.

PLEASE SOMEBODY help!

luv4greenleaves

Nov 4, 2012
running jedi x15 on a Tmobile version of the note 2. Originally had the Fast dormancy wakelock as well. Disabled fast dormancy but the mdm_hsic_pm0 remained. loosing battery like crazy. Is there a fix? i have two tmobile T-889 devices with jedi and it happens on both of them. It does not appear to be gps related.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64527727/screenshots/Screenshot_2013-07-04-13-23-48.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64527727/screenshots/Screenshot_2013-07-06-10-04-47.png
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/64527727/screenshots/Screenshot_2013-07-06-12-17-44.png

i disabled auto sync and even turned of the radio to see what the issue was ...things improved but wakelock remained.

PLEASE SOMEBODY help!

So did you leave fd on or off? I have been trying to figure out if I should enable or disable for tmobile...

Sent from my SGH-T889 using xda app-developers app

mike2518

Sep 13, 2007
Houston, TX
Guys, I'm on T-Mobiles stock touch wiz and am having the same lock for the past few months. It just drains the battery because the phone never sleeps. I'm hoping a solution can be found.

astromud

Aug 7, 2010
Latest T-Mobile stock rom here, this wakelock has been keeping my phone awake since I got the note 2 on release day, it's killing me and my battery. I have been waiting patiently for Samsung and or Qualcomm to fix this, but I'm ready to root if someone else could find a workaround or custom rom fix. Perhaps they can find time to squeeze it in to the Android 4.3 update.

MDM - Mobile Data Modem
HSIC - High-Speed Inter-Chip

Not the same chipset, but interesting read.

https://github.com/javilonas/Lonas_KL_GT-I9300/blob/master/arch/arm/mach-exynos/mdm_hsic_pm.c

I see that the nexus 4 is being plagued by similarly named but different msm_hsic_host (Mobile Station Modem) wakelocks. Perhaps the be wifi scan-only mode will help us all.

Last edited:

jerm1027

Dec 24, 2010
Guys, I'm on T-Mobiles stock touch wiz and am having the same lock for the past few months. It just drains the battery because the phone never sleeps. I'm hoping a solution can be found.

Well, I have I've had the same problem for a while (since March). I still don't know for sure what's causing it. Then again, I'm not a dev/debugger. Best I figure, it's a location-based service keeping the device awake, even if GPS is turned off. Google Maps is a common process affiliated with the wake-lock, but not the exclusive one. I'm on an AOSP/CM based ROM, also on T-Mobile. My best advice is just to reboot when you notice it. I've caught it in as little as 3% drain, and after a reboot, it was normal.

However, given the wide-variety of software and radios the bug is present on the Note II platform, I dare say, it might be a hardware bug. I doubt it's related, but apparently there was a hardware bug for the Exynos 5 SoC.
http://www.extremetech.com/computin...take-with-updated-exynos-5-octa-5420-arm-chip

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK guys I have some good news!!!! Im pretty sure i have lowered my wakelocks by a significant amount and found the problem. If I have decent signal and WI-FI is off , I am getting only around 19% to 23% time spent awake with the screen off. This is much better than the normal 33% to 46%. While idle im getting anywhere between 2.3% to 3% drain per hour. First here is what I did that im still not sure helped or not. Its up to you to try. I am currently on Carbon Rom nightly 9/9/13. I wiped the phone and started from scratch and I didn't allow google to restore my apps,data, and settings. I did that manually. I also flashed the ljc modem. I haven't tested my tweaks on other modems yet. I also use greenify on a few apps like facebook though I dont think this is necessary for this to work.

Now here is the tweaks that made a world of difference. there was a lot of research and trial and error with this. These are all build.prop tweaks so first check and see if the entry is already there, if it is match it to my values. If you don't have it in your build.prob then add them.

Don't add the ""

"persist.radio.apm_sim_not_pwdn=0" should be changed to "persist.radio.apm_sim_not_pwdn=1"

This next tweak im not sure is a mistake or done on purpose but the # in front of the line makes it not be read. Either way i got rid of the # and make sure it = 1.
    "#persist.radio.add_power_save=1" to "persist.radio.add_power_save=1"

Then I added "persist.radio.snapshot_timer=22" right under the line "persist.radio.snapshot_disabled=1"

Finally I added the "ro.ril.fast.dormancy.rule=0" still not sure if this works or not.

Go ahead and give it a try. After you change the values you will need to reboot. Might not see results right away. report back here on your experience. Oh and I am not responsible if this screws your phone up lol.
    First time I see it today, so I searched and I see you have the same problem.

Today is the first day I've been on 3G (no LTE in my area) all day, with WiFi disconnected, and BetterBatteryStats shows FastDormancy and mdm_hsic_pm0

Causally related? I am fairly sure FastDormancy is causally related to the 3g stuff, but not sure about mdm_hsic_pm0 - it's possible?

I'm on the i317M, though, so maybe that could help us troubleshoot.
    This issue was plaguing me and was chewing into my battery at a whopping 9%/H.
    Not my own idea, but inserting a new line ro.ril.fast.dormancy.rule=0 at the end of build.prop worked fine for me on my S3 4G.

DISCLAIMER: I only have a I9305T and have not tried this on Note II. Try this at your risk!!!

Just an FYI, this issue isn't only on the Note 2. I have an S3 4G and it's destroying my battery life. Currently staring down the barrel of ~7-10% battery drain per hour :/

Absolutely no idea why or where the issue comes from. If you pull your battery, the problem lessens for a little while.
    I just twittered with sbrissen who is DEVing CM for the Sprint/Verizon GN2 and he is actively working on this issue :)