[GUIDE] Galaxy Tab Network Unlock

Search This thread

smithdc

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
**UPDATE**
This method causes your serial number to change to 00000000 (which isn't a problem as such as this isn't currently used for anything) but there is a new method which involves directly hex editing the nv_data.bin file, which may be faster and does not change your serial number. You can find the details here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=843323.
**UPDATE**

First up I'll say that I'm not incredibly familiar with Galaxy S firmware changes/modding, and this mostly builds on work done in these areas, so not all these steps may be necessary but they worked for me. If someone can suggest a faster way to do this/unnecessary steps then please go ahead and reply with them!

This unlocked my Network Locked Australian Galaxy Tab and so I assume should work for others.

You should back up your /efs/ folder before you proceed as you may need this to undo if something goes wrong.

*I take no responsibility if something goes wrong!*

Requirements:

(If you have US firmware with no Phone software, you may need to flash European firmware as described here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=838250 ).

Firstly, on your phone dial *#7465625# and check if the Network Lock is set to [ON], if so then your phone is locked (duh), so continue.

1. Use Superoneclick (http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=812367) to root your phone (the other z4root method may work as well, but this isn't what I used).

2. Either use ADB or some other method to rename or delete (backup first):

/efs/nv_data.bin.md5
/efs/.nv_data.bak
/efs/.nv_data.bak.md5

(I just used Root Explorer to rename them to something else).

3. Restart your phone and then go into the /efs/ directory and see if the 'nv_data.bin.md5' file has been re-created by your phone, as long as it has been created then you can proceed.

4. Go to http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=8942669&postcount=94 and download the repair_nv_data.zip file (the credit for all of this mostly goes to that thread and helroz).

5. Install 'busybox' from the Market. Once you install it, you actually have to run it and properly install it (the Market app is basically an installer) - the files in the above zip have a dependency on this.

6. Extract the above zip to your PC, plug in your Tab in USB debugging mode. Run the Step 2.bat from the extracted file. You may need to allow the script super user access several times. This should copy the /efs/ and a bunch of files into a directory with a french name.

7. Run the Reparation_nv_data.jar file. (You will need Java for this step.) It will prompt you to enter two numbers, which are your pseudo-unlock codes. I entered '11111111' and '11111111' (eight 1's) both times. This rewrites the nv_data.bin file to be simunlocked with these details.

8. Run the Step 4.bat. Your superuser app (the one installed when you rooted using SuperOneClick) will need you to allow each command to have root access so keep an eye on your Tab. You may need to press y/n a few times if you encounter errors. This is uploading the edited nv_data.bin onto your Tab.

This batch file will stop several times and need you to hit a key when it pauses. My Tab rebooted halfway through this batch file - when it did this I waited for it to fully reboot back to the lock screen before pressing a key to make the script continued while the Tab was actually able to respond to its commands.

9. Towards the end of its execution it rebooted a second time. It paused during loading up and had some yellow writing on the screen saying it was updating media (I assume it was rebuilding the nv_data.bin). Leave it for a minute and it will prompt you to reboot/some other options. Just press whatever it wants (home I think) to reboot the phone - you don't want any of the other recovery options.

10. Go into your dialer and put in *#7465625# again and (hopefully) voila! Your phone should no longer be network locked. Try a SIM from a different provider to make sure.

Enjoy!

Edit: I had to go out and actually buy a prepaid SIM to confirm that all was working with a different provider. Attached are screen caps of my Tab on two different networks, as well as the network status screen, making/receiving calls etc. all works on both.

Attachments

• SC20101113-104655.jpg
    SC20101113-104655.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 2,252
  • SC20101113-212648.jpg
    SC20101113-212648.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 2,676
  • SC20101113-212729.jpg
    SC20101113-212729.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 1,945
Last edited:

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Awesome man, thanks.

This is much better than the 2 month wait we had for Galaxy S unlocking. :)

mbp17p

Nov 12, 2010
Hello, I'm french and i use your post to unlock my Galaxy TAB SFR ''réunion island'' and she is unlock :D thanks for your AMAZING post for unlock TAB

Ps: For unlock my TAB by SFR REUNION, he tell me 150 Euros.... Vive smithdc & helroz :p

tacoda

Aug 20, 2010
Works well! I had little trouble running java on windows7. But changing compatibility mode to windowsxp sp3 and check run this program as an administrator solved the problem.

Thanks for easy guide!

jay_jay_n

Mar 22, 2006
www.jaysgadgets.com
Sweeet thx , curious if unlocking the AT&T version has hardware only set to AT&Ts 3G frequencies, so 3g wont work on tmobile or is it capable of running 3g on tmobile with a unlocked AT&T tab?

Croak

Oct 9, 2007
Mulberry
Sweeet thx , curious if unlocking the AT&T version has hardware only set to AT&Ts 3G frequencies, so 3g wont work on tmobile or is it capable of running 3g on tmobile with a unlocked AT&T tab?

Traditionally, AT&T and T-Mobile hardware used different radios, it was more than just firmware. That's also true on the little brother Galaxy S series, the Vibrant has a different radio than the Captivate (though the Vibrant radio DOES have 1900 band in the hardware, for some reason).

difo

Mar 15, 2010
Kudos to smithdc for this awesome guide! I saved a lot of money thanks to him. Congrats again.

maxtcee

Jan 25, 2009
South Jerz
So your saying if I use this method and install my tmous unlimited sim I can get calls and 3g or do I need a prepaid sim

smithdc

Nov 11, 2010
Melbourne
I'm not sure on how T-Mobile are blocking, but if it IS my IMEI then you would have to use a SIM from a different network.

If they are blocking your IMEI on their network, then you would have to use a SIM from a different network (as a different network, wouldn't be blocking this IMEI number). Changing it to a different SIM on the same network won't help as your IMEI is for the device itself.

rpmbnsf

Jun 22, 2007
I just want to clarify something..

I have a T Mobile Tab and want to use a SIM I have for ATT.

Will I have to flash my device with the EU firmware first in order to get the phone software on it..then do the rest of the unlocking steps?

Assuming thats correct..after unlocking it I then can put my ATT sim card in and it should work for calls and data (Edge only) with not having to tweak any setting at all? Or do I have to set up my wap.cingular connections for the data like on a WM phone on ATT?

And if I want to get back to original out-of-the-box firmware from T Mobile (like if I had to send it in for repair) I just have to flash stock T Mobile firmware and its back completely to original?

Thanks..and wow am I loving this TAB !!!

Last edited:

rpmbnsf

Jun 22, 2007
Thanks for the fast reply. As for the flashing of the EU rom..is that the only/best way so far in order for me T Mobile Tab to get the radio software on it. I was thinking I saw an APK for the radio software someplace but did not know what way was better.

I just want to be 100% sure bfr I take the jump to unlocking and playing with the phone part

thanks

xoltrix2000

Jul 19, 2008
I got a quick couple of questions:

1. If I restore original firmware (Canadian), does it relock my phone?
2. Where can I get the Canadian firmware release? I see EURO and US, but no Canadian.

clubtech

Jun 26, 2007
USA
I read on one of the other threads that sim unlock method also changes your imei number. Is this really case?