Stuck in bootloop, nothing seems to be working

Search This thread

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ
So, the other night my Rezound slipped off a shelf and into the toilet. I pulled it out immediately, popped open the case and used a blow dryer on it, then stuck it in a bag of rice. The next day I stuck the battery in and it seemed to be working alright. Then I went to respond to a snapchat and found that the camera was not working. I thought maybe a simple restart might help, but the phone never restarted. I stuck it back in the bag of rice, thinking maybe their was still some moisture that could be pulled out. Today, after roughly 48 hours in the rice, I put the battery in, and it goes into the bootloop.

I pulled the SIM, tried going into recovery, factory reset, wipe cache, etc. Everything I can find on any forum does not work. I found a couple different PH89IMG.zip files, but after the bootloader analyzes them, it says that it can't do anything because they're older versions that what is on the device, which is "4.05.605.14 710RD" according to my wife's phone. I also downloaded the RUU, but the device has to be powered on for that to work, and it won't go past the white screen with green htc logo.

I would really love to resolve this without doing a factory reset, because there are a few things saved on the device itself that I can't really replace. Does anybody have any ideas for anything else I could try? Including maybe having the PH89IMG.zip file for the stock version of Android...

mjones73

Apr 5, 2010
North East, MD
Is there a way that I could extract the PH89IMG.zip file from my wife's rezound, or utilize her phone in any way to repair my own?

You can edit the version.txt in the PH98IMG.zip to the same version as your wife's, that would get you around the mainver errors. Something tells me you did too much water damage and it's just dead though.

Last edited:

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ
You can edit the version.txt in the PH98IMG.zip to the same version as your wife's, that would get you around the mainver errors. Something tells me you did too much water damage and it's just dead though.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot. It was working the next day, but then stopped after a restart. And it was only in the water for maybe 2 seconds, max. My wife's phone fell in a pool before, and got pulled out about a minute later, then worked after about 48 hours in rice.

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ

So editing the version listed in the .txt file made it so it didn't hang up on loading the file, but then it just refreshed the main bootloader screen. When I select fastboot, or go to restart the phone, it's still hung up in the bootloop :crying:

I'm not up for an upgrade until November 1, so I've been using my OG Incredible...

jhr5474

Sep 20, 2010
Holley, Oregon
So editing the version listed in the .txt file made it so it didn't hang up on loading the file, but then it just refreshed the main bootloader screen. When I select fastboot, or go to restart the phone, it's still hung up in the bootloop :crying:

I'm not up for an upgrade until November 1, so I've been using my OG Incredible...

Can you get to recovery? I see you have no recovery. You can try to fastboot a recovery.img, I am sorry but sounds like you screwed up your system, you will be lucky if it accepts a recovery. I deal with lots of broken phones in the business I am in and sorry to say once they are water damaged they 90 percent of the time they end up useless. If you need help with fastboot I will help.

Last edited:
Reactions: ggoodman1022

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ
Can you get to recovery? I see you have no recovery. You can try to fastboot a recovery.img, I am sorry but sounds like you screwed up your system, you will be lucky if it accepts a recovery. I deal with lots of broken phones in the business I am in and sorry to say once they are water damaged they 90 percent of the time they end up useless. If you need help with fastboot I will help.

How does one go about trying to "fastboot a recovery.img?" I'm very limited in my knowledge on these things... :confused:

kcipopnevets

Oct 6, 2013
Brooklyn
How does one go about trying to "fastboot a recovery.img?" I'm very limited in my knowledge on these things... :confused:

You can follow the instructions at htcdev.com if you haven't yet unlocked your bootloader. After following the instructions they provide for you, you can download http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1902381 and write it to the recovery partition via fastboot command. To finally flash it, make sure you're in the bootloader and you see "FASTBOOT USB". Hold the shift key and right-click, and click "Open command window here". Now place TWRP in the folder used to push the Unlock_code.bin (Contains fastboot.exe and is usually located at C:\Android or C\:fastboot) and type "fastboot flash recovery (name of recovery file).img. If you want, I can elaborate further.

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ
You can follow the instructions at htcdev.com if you haven't yet unlocked your bootloader. After following the instructions they provide for you, you can download http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1902381 and write it to the recovery partition via fastboot command. To finally flash it, make sure you're in the bootloader and you see "FASTBOOT USB". Hold the shift key and right-click, and click "Open command window here". Now place TWRP in the folder used to push the Unlock_code.bin (Contains fastboot.exe and is usually located at C:\Android or C\:fastboot) and type "fastboot flash recovery (name of recovery file).img. If you want, I can elaborate further.

I'll give this a shot next time I have access to a windows machine... Some time in the next few days or so

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ

So I finally got around to doing this, after buying a replacement phone off a guy on Craigslist, but I would still like to try and get this phone back up and running... I downloaded all the files and installed adb, etc. When I try to run the command, "fastboot flash recovery TWRP_2.6.3.0_Vigor_PH98IMG.zip" I get the following in the terminal:

sending 'recovery' (6323 KB)...
OKAY [ 1.464s]
writing 'recovery'...
FAILED (remote: image error! (BootMagic check fail))
finished. total time: 1.780s

Any other ideas??

acejavelin

Inactive Recognized Contributor
So I finally got around to doing this, after buying a replacement phone off a guy on Craigslist, but I would still like to try and get this phone back up and running... I downloaded all the files and installed adb, etc. When I try to run the command, "fastboot flash recovery TWRP_2.6.3.0_Vigor_PH98IMG.zip" I get the following in the terminal:

OKAY [ 1.464s]
writing 'recovery'...

Any other ideas??

You don't flash the zip, extract the file and flash the recovery.img file.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

acejavelin

Can it be a stock ROM, or would it have to be something like CyanogenMod?

I think its irrelevant at this point... Personally, I would use EclipticRez v9 or Tachyon as they are both rock solid ROMs. EclipticRez includes an Aroma installer script, so it might be a little easier (select S-ON and Lunar kernel).

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ
I think its irrelevant at this point... Personally, I would use EclipticRez v9 or Tachyon as they are both rock solid ROMs. EclipticRez includes an Aroma installer script, so it might be a little easier (select S-ON and Lunar kernel).

I actually found this thread earlier - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2632629 and followed the instructions, it was giving me some trouble around step 10 and kept going back into the bootloop. Then I tried it for probably the 5th time and it finally worked!! So the phone is back to full function now. I've been out of the house for a few hours, but it worked before your last reply literally right before I walked out the door.

Thank you SOOOO SOOOO SOOOOO much for the advice both on this thread and on that one I mentioned above (since it was also your instructions there)

Reactions: acejavelin

acejavelin

I actually found this thread earlier - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2632629 and followed the instructions, it was giving me some trouble around step 10 and kept going back into the bootloop. Then I tried it for probably the 5th time and it finally worked!! So the phone is back to full function now. I've been out of the house for a few hours, but it worked before your last reply literally right before I walked out the door.

Thank you SOOOO SOOOO SOOOOO much for the advice both on this thread and on that one I mentioned above (since it was also your instructions there)
No prob... glad you got it working. Water damage is weird, hopefully it sticks!

ggoodman1022

Jun 27, 2012
Tempe, AZ

The [semi] good news is that I found one on Craigslist (same phone because I really like it) for just $60 a couple days after I got fed up with using the OG Incredible. And the guy had 2 extra batteries, a case, and ghost armor on the screen as well. So now I have the original Rezound and the spare.

Reactions: acejavelin

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

OKAY [ 1.464s]
    writing 'recovery'...

Any other ideas??

You don't flash the zip, extract the file and flash the recovery.img file.

The [semi] good news is that I found one on Craigslist (same phone because I really like it) for just $60 a couple days after I got fed up with using the OG Incredible. And the guy had 2 extra batteries, a case, and ghost armor on the screen as well. So now I have the original Rezound and the spare.