First time rooting: XZU C6806

Search This thread

Snarge

May 20, 2014
I just got this device, and I love it, so I don’t want to screw this up. I’ve spent the last 4 days researching how to do this, and I want some expertise before I jump in. I have tried to keep the noob questions to a minimum. Please be kind; this is my first time working with Android at all. What I’m trying to accomplish with rooting, because the XZU is so beautiful and big, is the ability to modify the DPI on the device to make it more like a tablet. I may even try Paranoid Android on it, but I will try that after just screwing with the DPI. I am going to lay out the steps I am going to take. Please let me know if the steps I am taking are wrong or if I’ve left out something important. Also, I’ve put my own questions in BOLD. Please answer those if possible.

As I noted, my device is a C6806, its bootloader is able to be unlocked, and I am currently running .757, having just upgraded yesterday. Here are the steps I am going to take:

1. Downgrade to .532 by flashing NUT’s .532 firmware, the .FTF file found here (http://xdaforums.com/devdb/project/dl/?id=3442), with latest version of Flashtool (0.9.16.0). QUESTION: NUT’s FTF file is C6833_14.1.B.1.532_NUT.ftf. I assume the C6833 refers to that device number. But I have a C6806. Will flashing this FTF negatively affect my C6806 in any way? Will it be a problem at all? I assume it won’t be, but I want to make sure.

2. Root the device by using the instructions found here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1886460.

3. I will then backup my TA Partition by following this guide: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2292598.

4. I will then unlock the bootloader by following the steps here: http://unlockbootloader.sonymobile.com/.

5. I will then upgrade to .757 following the instructions here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2714511. QUESTION: I cannot find the .757 FTF at that link. I can find the .681 FTF at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFSeSe8gQOY (which should use the same steps as .757). I could just upgrade to .681, but is there a place I can get a good .757 FTF to flash?

I should, at this point, have the latest (or near latest) build rooted. Am I correct in thinking this? If you see any problems, please let me know. If you have any other tips or tricks, please throw those in as well. Thank you. I really appreciate it.

LordManhattan

Oct 20, 2007
Kepler-34b
4. You can take a "shortcut" by using Flashtool to unlock your bootloader after getting your unlock key from Sony. Just press the "BLU" button in Flashtool and enter your IMEI and unlock key.

5. That's the root kernel that you need to flash once you're on .757. You can find the .757 firmware here.

BUT BUT BUT, one thing before you start. This could quickly kill your rooting plans before you've even begun. Open the dialer and dial *#*#7378423#*#*, go to "Service Info" and then "Configuration". What does it say under "Rooting status"?

Spoiler: C6806s from Rogers are bootloader locked, and are impossible to unlock, so it gets much more complicated to root them while being on a newer firmware. It's also impossible to flash custom ROMs on them, so pray to something that you don't have an Ultra from Rogers :p

So if it says "No" under "Rooting status"... then you can't unlock your bootloader, and you should go to the bathroom and cry. On the bright side.. the other steps in your "guide" looks good, so good job and thank you for researching on your own.

Snarge

May 20, 2014
4. You can take a "shortcut" by using Flashtool to unlock your bootloader after getting your unlock key from Sony. Just press the "BLU" button in Flashtool and enter your IMEI and unlock key.

5. That's the root kernel that you need to flash once you're on .757. You can find the .757 firmware here.

BUT BUT BUT, one thing before you start. This could quickly kill your rooting plans before you've even begun. Open the dialer and dial *#*#7378423#*#*, go to "Service Info" and then "Configuration". What does it say under "Rooting status"?

Spoiler: C6806s from Rogers are bootloader locked, and are impossible to unlock, so it gets much more complicated to root them while being on a newer firmware. It's also impossible to flash custom ROMs on them, so pray to something that you don't have an Ultra from Rogers :p

So if it says "No" under "Rooting status"... then you can't unlock your bootloader, and you should go to the bathroom and cry. On the bright side.. the other steps in your "guide" looks good, so good job and thank you for researching on your own.

Thank you for the response! I have just gotten to Step 4 with a few snags in the process. The device is currently rooted with .532 and the TA partition is backed up. Sony just e-mailed me the unlock code. I am not on Rogers and I did confirm before starting this that the bootloader can be unlocked. So, luckily no Rogers. I bought the device directly from Sony.

As to the point you made on step 5, do I flash the firmware that you linked there with Flashtool and THEN flash the Kernel? I do both? I'm a little confused on that last step. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for the encouragement. I think I might make a little guide to explain the little snags I ran into. They confused me for a while!=

blueether

Jan 21, 2011
Te Awamutu, New Zealand
Thank you for the response! I have just gotten to Step 4 with a few snags in the process. The device is currently rooted with .532 and the TA partition is backed up. Sony just e-mailed me the unlock code. I am not on Rogers and I did confirm before starting this that the bootloader can be unlocked. So, luckily no Rogers. I bought the device directly from Sony.

As to the point you made on step 5, do I flash the firmware that you linked there with Flashtool and THEN flash the Kernel? I do both? I'm a little confused on that last step. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

And thanks for the encouragement. I think I might make a little guide to explain the little snags I ran into. They confused me for a while!=

yep you will need to flash both the FTF (in flash mode) and then the rootable kernel (in fastboot mode)