Need to salvage data from rooted Nexus with Broken screen.

Search This thread

whynotRaza

Jul 3, 2014
Hey everyone! I've been taking help from you people at XDA for quite a while and I never needed to make an account before this.

First off, I would like to thank everyone at the website who contributes in any way. You guys make things a lot easier. :good:

I have a Nexus 5 and I wasn't very fortunate at one of my previous football matches. The screen broke and came off. My lockscreen has a pattern which is causing all the trouble. I want to get my files back from my phone but I don't know how. My phone is rooted and running stock, I do have a custom recovery and I've backed up my ROM. Everything is working perfectly on the phone, I was getting calls, its buzzing from notifications and the notification light is still blinking. I connected it to a PC and it shows but I can't access my data as the screen is locked. Due to some problems with windows 8.1 I turned USB debugging off as my phone wasn't being detected. I have android device manager activated but my WiFi was off when the screen broke so I cant disable the lock.

SUMMARY:
Rooted Nexus 5 running stock android with custom recovery (cwm)
USB debugging may be on/ may not be
Phone working perfectly, just no screen.
WiFi is off.
I have experience with bricked phones, flashing ROMS and stuff.

I just wanted help on how I could get my stuff back. Right now services with which I can control my phone from my PC seem like a very good idea but I can't install an APK on my phone. Please help me out guys. Also, if there are any threads which have solved this problem please link them below. I'm busy trying to get into a university.

EDIT: USB debugging MIGHT be on as I don't perfectly remember turning it off.

Last edited:

theesotericone

Sep 22, 2013
jd, nice to see your still helping out.:cool:

OP, after you get the drivers and/or sdk set up simply type:

Code:
adb devices

If you see a serial number your good. Proceed to pull the entire sdcard.

If you don't see the serial number look up everything you can related to your OS and adb.

whynotRaza

Jul 3, 2014
Google 15 second adb drivers xda. That'll set it up for you.

Edit, here's the link http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?p=48915118

Sent from my Nexus 5 using XDA Free mobile app

Thank you so much for this! I never bothered with the android SDK as I couldn't install it the first time and I didn't really need it until now. The only problem occurring right now is that I can't turn off my phone, and so I can't boot into recovery. Posting a pic of my phone lol.

Section 5.4 in my signature

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Thanks a lot! This helped me understand my problem much better. I just can't boot into recovery mode.

Attachments

• 10513472_573528659440093_2931928988798327459_n.jpg
    10513472_573528659440093_2931928988798327459_n.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Thank you so much for this! I never bothered with the android SDK as I couldn't install it the first time and I didn't really need it until now. The only problem occurring right now is that I can't turn off my phone, and so I can't boot into recovery. Posting a pic of my phone lol.

Thanks a lot! This helped me understand my problem much better. I just can't boot into recovery mode.

Here's my phone:
<iframe src="//instagram.com/p/pxFT15OC53/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

With that screen, how would you know if you've entered recovery mode?? I don't know. Can you see anything on the screen?

Reactions: prateek.htc

kunaltyagii

May 28, 2013
Coimbatore
after setting up adb on pc and running it wouldnt the command "adb reboot recovery" take him to the recovery section? then he can run the command "adb pull"

danarama

Aug 22, 2010
Oxenhope, West Yorkshire, UK
With that screen, how would you know if you've entered recovery mode?? I don't know. Can you see anything on the screen?

Ensure device is off

• Hold vol down + Power until you feel vibration
  • Press vol up twice
  • Press power (Will feel another vibration)
  • Connect USB
  • run adb devices should see something like:

Code:
H:\>adb devices
* daemon not running. starting it now on port 5037 *
* daemon started successfully *
List of devices attached
03105ef70935976465        [B][COLOR="Red"]recovery[/COLOR][/B]

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

after setting up adb on pc and running it wouldnt the command "adb reboot recovery" take him to the recovery section? then he can run the command "adb pull"

Maybe, ROM settings / USB debugging / Root dependent potentially though

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
I should have posted a better pic. The screen isn't connected anymore, it came off completely. I can't see anything on it at all.

How do you know whether the phone is turned on or not? Notification sounds work? Try what @kunaltyagii suggested.

Yes it will. That's an excellent idea as long he has USB debugging enabled. :good:

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

Ensure device is off

• Press vol up twice

Oh yeah! Good one. Didn't strike me.

jd1639

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
Minnesota
jd, nice to see your still helping out.:cool:

OP, after you get the drivers and/or sdk set up simply type:

Code:
adb devices

If you see a serial number your good. Proceed to pull the entire sdcard.

If you don't see the serial number look up everything you can related to your OS and adb.

Yep, still around. You still have the rocket?

whynotRaza

Jul 3, 2014
Ensure device is off

• Press vol up twice
  • Connect USB

Code:
List of devices attached

---------- Post added at 12:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:45 PM ----------

Thanks a bunch! I dont think my hardware keys are working properly. I turned my phone off by disconencting the battery conenctions. I tried booting into recovery but my phone turned on normally instead. I tried "adb devices" and luckily it showed my serial number followed by "device". I just randomly tried "adb pull sdcard/music" and it worked! So now I have access to all my files. Could you guys post some links to advanced push and pull commands? I dont want to pull everything, I want my folder trees so that I can only take out the important stuff.

Thanks again! I wouldn't have gotten anywhere without this!

New problem: I did all that on my friends pc which has windows 7 and all the Nexus 5 drivers installed. I myself have a windows 8.1 laptop and after one of the recent updates my phone stopped showing. I tried Wugfresh's Nexus root toolkit but I didn't get anywhere. Help? XP

whynotRaza

Jul 3, 2014
There aren't really any advanced adb push or pull commands.

Regards to new problem see link in signature. Read section 1b.

On windows 8.1 I had to do 1b1 and 1b2 today

I just uninstalled my previous drivers, updated windows and then reconnected my phone. Surprisingly the phone started showing! I had already done 1B1 earlier today. Thanks a lot guys. Everything has been solved. :good:

EDIT: I tried "adb pull sdcard/folder" and only the subfolders of that folder got copied, the files inside that folder didn't. Also, it said "no such directory exists" halfway through.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Boot in to recovery and then from a command window on your pc try
    adb pull /sdcard c:\nexus5

It says command adb not recognized. I don't have android SDK installed on my laptop.

Ensure device is off

• Press vol up twice
    • Connect USB

Code:
    List of devices attached

Here's my phone:
    <iframe src="//instagram.com/p/pxFT15OC53/embed/" width="612" height="710" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

There aren't really any advanced adb push or pull commands.

Regards to new problem see link in signature. Read section 1b.

On windows 8.1 I had to do 1b1 and 1b2 today