we should speak up about this...

Search This thread

desantim

Jan 5, 2010
Oregon
Every device I've had, I've had rooted/flashed/etc day 1 buying it except... the Xoom. While it was possible day 1, I am simply waiting for the hardware update, then I will go to town on it.

Patience is key here, there are zero apps available as is, and there are almost no hacks available yet, so I see no reason to risk my ability to upgrade a device I just spent $800 on until I know hardware wise, it is 100% what I purchased.

~m

bogatyr

Jun 22, 2010
Something as advertised, that we paid for, is not part of a warranty. What unlocking it does it voids the warranty so if there is an issue we cannot return it. We paid for the 4G upgrade, it was advertised in the deal and it wasn't stated that voiding the warranty voids the upgrade anywhere.

Morkai Almandragon

Jan 29, 2009
i rooted so I could help test blueputdroid (ps3 remote for android). I have trouble believing that Dans words are Moto's, but I could see Moto letting them stand if no one calls them out.

oc3rulz

Jan 30, 2010
Columbus, OH
Rooting the Xoom - will this make it ineligible for 4G upgrade?
The question is technical and I'm not sure there is a blanket answer that covers all possible situations. Here's how I understand it, but I'm the first to admit that this is not my area of expertise so pardon the layman's approach.

If your Xoom is due for an OTA update and is not locked and on the expected, standard software, it will be passed over. The working assumption is that if you are on non-standard software, you want it that way and we leave you alone.

If you unlock your Xoom and load non-standard software, you should be able to reload standard software and relock it, so that you can receive OTA upgrades. Barring that, if the Motorola SBF is made available, as is currently planned, you can flash it yourself.

If you're asking if every change made to the device as a result of root can be detected, I don't know. I doubt that there is an answer for that.

From Matt the Moto Xoom Forum Manager

So he's on the right track, stating that we can flash it back to stock and have it be able to be upgraded

Bauxite

Jan 20, 2011
As long as you relock before sending they should have no idea. I'm guessing they want to make sure the bootloader and modem firmware are stock for testing.

Sent from my PC36100 using XDA App

gbenj

Feb 4, 2008
It does make sense, doesnt it?

If we stray from the stock/approved software, we potentially stray from any software update that would be required to enable the 4G hardware upgrade to work.

It sounds like Moto is trying to say that they can't support non-stock software.

If however, we root/unlock and relock, going back to stock, and they say that voids our warranty and they won't upgrade (whether they can even tell or not is another question) then thats a different story.

destroyerbmx

Mar 29, 2010
New Mexico
twitter.com
I will be the first one to sue them if they do that, they have provided the unlock for us too, easy case. I have not however rooted yet because there is no real reason to, I am waiting for a custom rom, hopefully 2.2 and I can get off the buggy 3.0

Elysian893

Jan 27, 2010
Every device I've had, I've had rooted/flashed/etc day 1 buying it except... the Xoom. While it was possible day 1, I am simply waiting for the hardware update, then I will go to town on it.

Patience is key here, there are zero apps available as is, and there are almost no hacks available yet, so I see no reason to risk my ability to upgrade a device I just spent $800 on until I know hardware wise, it is 100% what I purchased.

~m
Rooting it shouldn't effect the ability to update, you're not loading a custom rom, you're just adding su and Superuser.apk.

davisbs999

Feb 1, 2010
golden, co
Something as advertised, that we paid for, is not part of a warranty. What unlocking it does it voids the warranty so if there is an issue we cannot return it. We paid for the 4G upgrade, it was advertised in the deal and it wasn't stated that voiding the warranty voids the upgrade anywhere.

While I agree with you 100%, I think that the OP's point is that it would be nice to Motorola confirm or deny this

meta96

May 20, 2010
... forget this bs

Dont know what motorola employees are thinking. It seems that teir forum/facebook stuff acts like crazy idiots (DansDr... is one of them). they respond very often like baker, which dont know their own bread ... sad but true.

... and we always could change to stock before we will return the xoom for a 4G upgrade.

Last edited:

GulMiguel

Oct 2, 2008
Cusseta, AL
Going The Virtuous Route

I'm hearing all this stuff and I can't help but be reminded of back when we DX users were chomping at the bit for Moto to give us FroYo. Yes, it was frustrating as hell, but we got through it. I feel that in this situation, the same will apply. We are going to wait a ridiculously long period of time past the date we were given, but we will eventually get it. It sucks, but that seems to be the modus operandi of our friends at Moto when situations like this arise.

I'm already frustrated because I waited too long and lost out on the coupon offer that others were able to avail of last week. (I couldn't do it at the time because the funds weren't available - so I left them in my shopping cart.) When I went to try and resume at my shopping cart, the $200 discount was gone and all that Moto E-Commerce can sing is that same old tired song about it isn't supposed to happen. In fact, they're denying that they honored any of those sales at all - I almost feel like I was baited and switched on. In any event, it looks like I'm going to continue my efforts and try to get it on a data-only plan with Verizon - provided I can still keep the same unlimited data plan that I have with my DX. I'm not about to spend $30/month for only 10GB. I can easily go through that in about 5 days.

As for the unlocking and rooting, I know that on this device, I will simply be patient and wait for the 4G radio to be added. Once all the hardware is in place, all bets are off. We are fortunate in that the XOOM was the base development device this time for Honeycomb - the only reason we get unlocked bootloader. I'm willing to wait because I know that in time, you wonderful people here at XDA will have all the bugs worked out and there will be at least 3-4 good ROMs out there for it by that time.

Yes, it will be agonizing to wait. But it will be worth it in the long run. Development with locked systems totally sucks - even though the folks here do their very best everyday to make it worth it for the rest of us. However, we are now entering development for a tablet - an awesome tablet in fact. We stand to be the recipients of some really quality programming here soon. It's an era that I'm proud to be at the ground floor of. Hell, I might even try to learn how to make ROMs for this one.

All in all, patience truly is a virtue and I'm going to try as hard as I can to be virtuous this time around. Please keep me in your prayers that I don't go completely nuts. Thanks family.

Legacystar

Dec 29, 2009
I'm hearing all this stuff and I can't help but be reminded of back when we DX users were chomping at the bit for Moto to give us FroYo. Yes, it was frustrating as hell, but we got through it. I feel that in this situation, the same will apply. We are going to wait a ridiculously long period of time past the date we were given, but we will eventually get it. It sucks, but that seems to be the modus operandi of our friends at Moto when situations like this arise.

I'm already frustrated because I waited too long and lost out on the coupon offer that others were able to avail of last week. (I couldn't do it at the time because the funds weren't available - so I left them in my shopping cart.) When I went to try and resume at my shopping cart, the $200 discount was gone and all that Moto E-Commerce can sing is that same old tired song about it isn't supposed to happen. In fact, they're denying that they honored any of those sales at all - I almost feel like I was baited and switched on. In any event, it looks like I'm going to continue my efforts and try to get it on a data-only plan with Verizon - provided I can still keep the same unlimited data plan that I have with my DX. I'm not about to spend $30/month for only 10GB. I can easily go through that in about 5 days.

As for the unlocking and rooting, I know that on this device, I will simply be patient and wait for the 4G radio to be added. Once all the hardware is in place, all bets are off. We are fortunate in that the XOOM was the base development device this time for Honeycomb - the only reason we get unlocked bootloader. I'm willing to wait because I know that in time, you wonderful people here at XDA will have all the bugs worked out and there will be at least 3-4 good ROMs out there for it by that time.

Yes, it will be agonizing to wait. But it will be worth it in the long run. Development with locked systems totally sucks - even though the folks here do their very best everyday to make it worth it for the rest of us. However, we are now entering development for a tablet - an awesome tablet in fact. We stand to be the recipients of some really quality programming here soon. It's an era that I'm proud to be at the ground floor of. Hell, I might even try to learn how to make ROMs for this one.

All in all, patience truly is a virtue and I'm going to try as hard as I can to be virtuous this time around. Please keep me in your prayers that I don't go completely nuts. Thanks family.
You wont ever get your unlimited phone data plan on your tablet. Phones are the only thing that get unlimited data

bogatyr

Jun 22, 2010
You wont ever get your unlimited phone data plan on your tablet. Phones are the only thing that get unlimited data

Phones and grandfathered devices*

My laptop still has unlimited.

EDIT: And yes you can transfer the unlimited between devices, I switched it from a PC card to my internal laptop modem two months ago.

Legacystar

Dec 29, 2009
Phones and grandfathered devices*

My laptop still has unlimited.

EDIT: And yes you can transfer the unlimited between devices, I switched it from a PC card to my internal laptop modem two months ago.

That was essentially a swap from one pc card to another not from a phone to a non phone.

bogatyr

Jun 22, 2010
That was essentially a swap from one pc card to another not from a phone to a non phone.

It's also not a phone, which was my point. Phones are not the only devices with unlimited plans, if you have a grandfathered laptop plan you can move it from one device to another, including the MIFI devices. I'm debating on moving it to one of those to share with my tablet or assigning my tablets ID to the account in the website.

Jrockttu

Nov 7, 2007
This is another example of what I've been saying for the past week: Motorola has been the WORST you can possibly imagine in communicating with customers and potential customers since CES.

They've made us and the media work for every bit of information, relying on leaks instead of upfront information from Motorola. Things that were discovered via leaks: No Netflix, No Flash, No HDCP, No SD card, No LTE, the LTE upgrade path, this new information about LTE disqualification, etc, etc.

Last edited:
L

LegionTHEFecalExcretion

Motorola Forum Mods make Legion ANGRY!!!!!
ngvtpg.jpg