[Q] Noob Question on Recoveries and Kernels for Flashing CM 10.2 and 11

Search This thread

bananaclips

Feb 15, 2014
So I have rooted, TA-back-upped and then bootloader-unlocked my XZ on a .244 generic firmware and would like to install cyanogenmod 10.2 stable or 11.

There's a lot of talk about flashing ROMS from recoveries on this forum. I have read that out of the two available, the (unlocked version) CWM has problems flashing CM, while TWRP does better. Then there is XZ Dual Recovery.

Yet, in the cyanogenmod wiki for the XZ, there is no talk of installing a recovery before flashing the CM zip file, yet somehow CWM is mentioned as a recovery from which to install the zips.

I really wonder how according to the wiki I am supposed to boot into a CWM, when I didn't install it beforehand.
Does this mean that once you flash CM from sd card, it comes with its own recovery, and you don't have to install it separately?

If this is correct, is it more recommended to flash CM from an sd card or from a previously installed recovery?

And is it even possible to flash CM from a recovery I previously installed on stock kernel (I am obviously still on stock kernel). From what I understand, CM comes with its own kernel as it doesn't work on stock kernel. I imagine that a recovery would disappear when I replace a kernel, as the recovery is part of the kernel. But if so, why is there even talk about flashing CM from a recovery?

Lastly, would something like the MEOW kernel be even more suitable for CM?

I'd really appreciate anyone enlightening me on these matters and how to go about doing this flashing of the most standard of all custom ROMs.

Thank you.

bananaclips

Feb 15, 2014
By the way, could I flash MEOW kernel on top of the current setting, as it's CM-compatible, or would I have to re-do CM as well?

kingvortex

Mar 25, 2010
You're welcome. You can flash another CM compatible kernel over the top of the stock CM kernel. No need to reflash the rom.

sonyupdate

Reactions: bananaclips

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    You need to extract the boot.img from the CM zip and flash it using fastboot.
    This will then allow you to boot into recovery and flash CM.

Edit - See post #2 of this thread for basic instructions - http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2540633

Sent from my C6603 using Tapatalk
    You're welcome. You can flash another CM compatible kernel over the top of the stock CM kernel. No need to reflash the rom.

sonyupdate