Search This thread

cbyankees3

Oct 21, 2011
With the new lapdocks coming out for the Razr I was wondering if the 100 and 500 model would be compatible with the Droid Bionic.

Also, with ice cream sandwich just released I was wondering if a rom were to come out with ice cream sandcwich, would webtop still work?

Natronics

Feb 15, 2011
Yes, the lapdock supposedly supports all of the devices that use webtop. which is awesome.

I'm assuming yes with ICS. If Moto doesn't change the /Osh partition, i'm sure it will work. Reason I say that is due to flashing over a custom rom and still keeping my modified webtop.

Hopefully Moto will leave it alone or add new functionality that we can break into.

here's what I was looking at earlier:
http://thisismynext.com/2011/10/18/motorola-lapdock-500-pro-lapdock-100-accessories-hands-on/

cbyankees3

Oct 21, 2011
Thanks now I may just have to get myself a lapdock.

Just to make sure if I were to flash a rom such as cm7 the lapdock would still work?

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Natronics

Feb 15, 2011
I would have to say not without a little bit of work from the devs. Besides, we don't even have a daily driver for CM7 yet anyways.

dB Zac

Feb 17, 2008
Oroville
www.grantkustoms.com
from what i have seen, the 500 lapdock will support all webtop enabled devices but the 100 will be a RZR only model. as for webtop, will it even be needed if the phone already has a tablet OS on it. With the limitations that the ram presents I think i would rather have the tablet OS when on the lapdock over webtop

alodar1

Aug 6, 2007
Auburn, WA
Microsoft Surface Duo
from what i have seen, the 500 lapdock will support all webtop enabled devices but the 100 will be a RZR only model. as for webtop, will it even be needed if the phone already has a tablet OS on it. With the limitations that the ram presents I think i would rather have the tablet OS when on the lapdock over webtop

Actually i think thats backwards. 100 is already advertised to fit all of them on the motorola site. I assume the 500 is the expensive one that sanjay spoke of.

cbyankees3

Oct 21, 2011
Sorry, but what are the differences between the tablet OS and Web top OS

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using XDA App

Last edited:

KilerG

Oct 7, 2011
Santa Barbara, CA
Everything. The tablet OS is still android. Webtop OS Ubuntu and has more of a full desktop feel like a net book. the phones available ram holds it back a bit also

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Well the phone was made to run Android, but Motorola has a sort of thing that allows them to run Webtop (which is Ubuntu) over it. I don't know too much about it...but I do know that it has a FULL Firefox browser that runs like it would on an awful netbook lol. I've seen that it may have awesome functionality, but it's very slow because of the amount of RAM needed to run Firefox now is less than the Bionic is capable of. It's a great idea, but motorola needs to develop it more and make it better (and more affordable).
And why hasn't someone hacked webtop so we can run Linux or something lol?

dB Zac

Feb 17, 2008
Oroville
www.grantkustoms.com
Well once you move the webtop to your SD, you can hack it to run gnome or other desk tops but ram is still an issue. I found another thread that techs how to make a swap partition that would help with ram but I am struggling with it. I am not a hacker by any means

irsmurf

Feb 1, 2008
Actually i think thats backwards. 100 is already advertised to fit all of them on the motorola site. I assume the 500 is the expensive one that sanjay spoke of.

Correct. 500 has not been confirmed to be compatible with hardware older than RAZR.

PatrickS.

Dec 26, 2010
I want a 500 to use on my Bionic. If the 100 and 500 both work the same and fit the razer and the 100 is said to work with bionic, then why wouldn't 500 also work with Bionic ?

Eluvatar

Sep 15, 2011
I would love to be able to use ICH on my lapdock rather then ubuntu due to the lack of ram, seems after 10-15 min of browsing my phone runs out of ram and closes firefox.

Adauth

Feb 7, 2011
New Orleans
Just picked up the 100. I prefer the smaller size, a 10" screen is big enough and only weights 2.2lbs. Still get 2 USB ports. Posting from it now, love it so far! Only $149.99 at best buy. Obviously looking at the box, I have a razr. :)

Last edited:

unbesorgt

Jun 28, 2010
I want a 500 to use on my Bionic. If the 100 and 500 both work the same and fit the razer and the 100 is said to work with bionic, then why wouldn't 500 also work with Bionic ?

I can confirm the 500 does work with the Bionic. Bought one in the $150 VZW sale last weekend and it arrived yesterday. Screen, speakers, SD card slot, USB ports all work great. Webcam, VGA-out and Ethernet port do not work with the Bionic, but may be supported in a future Webtop update.

The Bionic fits in the tray, which is made to support different sized phones. However, there is a weird bug where Netflix and some other video apps display upside-down when using the tray. This is not just a Bionic bug as it affects the RAZR as well. The workaround is to remove the phone from the tray and just lay it flat while still plugged in, which fixes the display. Moto has confirmed this is a bug and said it will be fixed in a future patch.

Last edited: