[ROM] MelodyMod - Dedicated Music Player (05/06/12)

Search This thread

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
PLEASE NOTE: FLASHING THIS ROM WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE USELESS AS AN ACTUAL PHONE. YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO MAKE PHONE CALLS WHILE RUNNING THIS ROM, AS ALL PHONE FUNCTIONS HAVE BEEN REMOVED. YOU BASICALLY HAVE A WIFI/BLUETOOTH ENABLED TOUCH SCREEN MUSIC PLAYER WITH THE ABILITY TO DOWNLOAD APPS/BROWSE THE WEB IF YOU SO CHOOSE TO.

With my purchase of the Galaxy Nexus, I found it hard to just toss my "Sexy Nexy" into her original box and into the closet where she'll likely never been seen again. Read someone suggesting using it for a dedicated music player, so I decided to do just that. After playing around with several other ROMs and just basically gutting them, I decided to just take a base ROM, "theme it", gut it, move a few things around and come up with my own Frankenstein of a ROM. Never used the Kitchen before, nor did I have any experience on what could and could not be removed, so after 2-days of trial and error, I finally got the results I was hoping for (still don't know which libs and such can be removed though). With that, I present to you...

♪MelodyMod♪

Android 2.3.7
Based on MIUI 2.3.30
Deodex
Zipaligned
Beats Audio/SRS Mod
SuperUser/BusyBox
Themed (using MIUI theme customization)

Apps Removed:
Basically everything from /system/app folder (had to leave a few things like GMail because it kept causing force closed loops even after rebooting and gutting other things I thought would solve it).

Apps Added:
AdFree
ADW Launcher (removed MIUI Launcher)
JukeFox
DSPManager
ESFile Explorer
Music Paradise (need to sign into PlayStore, search for it and click update...it won't take for some reason, just force closes without that)
Pandora
Play Music
SuperUser
PlayStore

REQUIREMENTS:
Should work perfectly fine with just about any HBOOT; radio shouldn't matter because you have no cell reception. Not much to read here...

TIPS:
Changing Language To English on First Boot
shot000001e.png

shot000002n.png

shot000003yf.png

shot000004.png

shot000006u.png

shot000007u.png

*Once logging into PlayStore, you will receive random process.google force closes, so unless you really feel the need to download apps, don't bother. They are not very frequent but still annoying at times (I think its a Google sync issue)

*JukeFox has a setting which allows overwriting of the default lockscreen with a pretty nice music control one, if you choose not to use MIUI default music player.

Thank you to everyone who created everything I used, because obviously I didn't create any of this myself. Rockodev for the Beats/SRS libs, everyone involved with MIUI, Iperzampem0 for answering questions for me via PM :p, dsixda for his Kitchen...everyone :D

MelodyMod_r2 <----DOWNLOAD

Last edited:

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
1330874498_i.jpg

Miui theme: audio fancier
dowloand:
http://depositfiles.com/files/2z2i4o49f
turbobit.net/w4n6h820lemg.html

good job.music box :)
Can you add Turkish language. :rolleyes: ?

build.prop
ro.product.locale.language=en
ro.product.locale.region=US

Hey, thanks for the tips!

I actually used the AudioFancier theme, minus the lock screen (the lock screen wouldn't display music controls). Unless that's a different one. I'll look when I get home.

If you can point me towards how to add language support, I'd be glad to add Turkish :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

sbaeder

May 8, 2010
Great Idea...I was thinking along the same lines, but didn't see the need to "gut" a ROM, since the music/etc. would be on the SD card anyway.

Congratulations!

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Great Idea...I was thinking along the same lines, but didn't see the need to "gut" a ROM, since the music/etc. would be on the SD card anyway.

Congratulations!

The main reason I saw to gut it was to try and improve battery life. Removing telephony and such that'll search for a cell signal will drain battery.

I know what you mean though :)

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Battery life is absolute donkey ****! 10 Minutes of doing nothing, and already drained to 96%. And yes, my battery is calibrated good.

Is it really? I powered it up, wifi on, and searched xda app for a while trying to find a stable rom for her. Also downloaded. Probably 30 minutes or so of screen constant on and it was at 95% if I'm not mistaken...

nickL0V3

May 26, 2009
Norfolk, VA
www.twitter.com
I was really interested in this ROM. My N1 is also my dedicated music player. Has development stopped? My only real beef with it was the few remaining visual aspects of it having been a phone. If I remember correctly it constantly reminded me it had no cell signal.

Maybe someone smarter than me could pick this up? It was a neat idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I was really interested in this ROM. My N1 is also my dedicated music player. Has development stopped? My only real beef with it was the few remaining visual aspects of it having been a phone. If I remember correctly it constantly reminded me it had no cell signal.

Maybe someone smarter than me could pick this up? It was a neat idea.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app

I've done quite a bit of development on the S3 over the last year or so and have learned a ton since releasing this (I knew nothing when I did this).

I currently use my N1 as a speedometer for my newest car purchase while I troubleshoot and fix it.

My point is, I may put something together to make it a dedicated music player and release it on here :)

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

douginoz

Jan 18, 2007
Melbourne
I too don't use my N1 as a phone - well, actually I use skype now as my phone and people can only call me when I'm connected to wifi. Which means at home, at the office, or at a free wifi hotspot. Any other time you can't reach me, which suits me perfectly. Apart from skype, I only play music, so I'm curious about this ROM as well. Provided it can run skype as well as the music stuff, I'd try it.

The only thing putting me off it at the moment is that all those force closes tells me its probably not stable enough to use as a skype phone. But any further development (or a new music-focused ROM) would be interesting to try.

Reactions: uoY_redruM

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
I too don't use my N1 as a phone - well, actually I use skype now as my phone and people can only call me when I'm connected to wifi. Which means at home, at the office, or at a free wifi hotspot. Any other time you can't reach me, which suits me perfectly. Apart from skype, I only play music, so I'm curious about this ROM as well. Provided it can run skype as well as the music stuff, I'd try it.

The only thing putting me off it at the moment is that all those force closes tells me its probably not stable enough to use as a skype phone. But any further development (or a new music-focused ROM) would be interesting to try.

When I get some free time, I'll see what I can do.

As I said, when I did this ROM I literally had no idea what I was doing, lol.

Sent from my SGH-T999 using xda premium

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
Could you please post a new link to this ROM.
The one in the OP is dead.

I just checked my dropbox account, which I haven't used it years, and it appears I deleted it. I have since built a completely new rig so my old files are gone.

I'm highly considering setting the kitchen up again just for fun and making one. I still have my Nexus (it's actually sitting on my computer desk).

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using XDA Free mobile app

Reactions: Akram-aat

dopiate

Aug 26, 2012
some ideas here too

I did something similar but I didnt create a mod mostly just showed how to take any phone and make it work as an mp3 player and get great battery life.

I'm still using the HTC Rezound as my primary music player and the battery life is still really good.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2644588

uoY_redruM

May 1, 2010
Longwood, FL
So, my wife had been using my Nexus as a speedometer because the one in her car went belly up for some reason. It's been in there for months.

I cleaned it off the other day and what do you know! The MelodyMod r2 file was still on the internal storage. It's what I've had running on the Nexus since I created it.

I've re-uploaded it, in case anyone is interested. I've had probably 4 or 5 PMs about this ROM randomly over the year, so I'm sure someone wants it.

Enjoy!

MelodyMod_r2

EDIT- Just an FYI, I am NOT supporting this ROM so please do not ask for updates or anything. It does work though, it's what is running on my Nexus now which like I said was being used for months by my wife for the speedometer app.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PLEASE NOTE: FLASHING THIS ROM WILL MAKE YOUR PHONE USELESS AS AN ACTUAL PHONE. YOU WILL NO LONGER BE ABLE TO MAKE PHONE CALLS WHILE RUNNING THIS ROM, AS ALL PHONE FUNCTIONS HAVE BEEN REMOVED. YOU BASICALLY HAVE A WIFI/BLUETOOTH ENABLED TOUCH SCREEN MUSIC PLAYER WITH THE ABILITY TO DOWNLOAD APPS/BROWSE THE WEB IF YOU SO CHOOSE TO.

With my purchase of the Galaxy Nexus, I found it hard to just toss my "Sexy Nexy" into her original box and into the closet where she'll likely never been seen again. Read someone suggesting using it for a dedicated music player, so I decided to do just that. After playing around with several other ROMs and just basically gutting them, I decided to just take a base ROM, "theme it", gut it, move a few things around and come up with my own Frankenstein of a ROM. Never used the Kitchen before, nor did I have any experience on what could and could not be removed, so after 2-days of trial and error, I finally got the results I was hoping for (still don't know which libs and such can be removed though). With that, I present to you...

♪MelodyMod♪

Android 2.3.7
    Based on MIUI 2.3.30
    Deodex
    Zipaligned
    Beats Audio/SRS Mod
    SuperUser/BusyBox
    Themed (using MIUI theme customization)

Apps Removed:
    Basically everything from /system/app folder (had to leave a few things like GMail because it kept causing force closed loops even after rebooting and gutting other things I thought would solve it).

Apps Added:
    AdFree
    ADW Launcher (removed MIUI Launcher)
    JukeFox
    DSPManager
    ESFile Explorer
    Music Paradise (need to sign into PlayStore, search for it and click update...it won't take for some reason, just force closes without that)
    Pandora
    Play Music
    SuperUser
    PlayStore

REQUIREMENTS:
    Should work perfectly fine with just about any HBOOT; radio shouldn't matter because you have no cell reception. Not much to read here...

TIPS:
    shot000001e.png

shot000002n.png

shot000003yf.png

shot000004.png

shot000006u.png

shot000007u.png

*Once logging into PlayStore, you will receive random process.google force closes, so unless you really feel the need to download apps, don't bother. They are not very frequent but still annoying at times (I think its a Google sync issue)

*JukeFox has a setting which allows overwriting of the default lockscreen with a pretty nice music control one, if you choose not to use MIUI default music player.

Thank you to everyone who created everything I used, because obviously I didn't create any of this myself. Rockodev for the Beats/SRS libs, everyone involved with MIUI, Iperzampem0 for answering questions for me via PM :p, dsixda for his Kitchen...everyone :D

MelodyMod_r2 <----DOWNLOAD
    05/06/2012
    Build 3c - Initial Release
    1330874498_i.jpg

Miui theme: audio fancier
    dowloand:
    http://depositfiles.com/files/2z2i4o49f
    turbobit.net/w4n6h820lemg.html

good job.music box :)
    Can you add Turkish language. :rolleyes: ?

build.prop
    ro.product.locale.language=en
    ro.product.locale.region=US
    So hows battery life?

I was running a test to see how long it would last but my wife's phone died and I let her use my N1...so I had to flash a real ROM on it. Forgot to check battery life :( sorry guys.