Stuck at "Data.img" thru odin. Possible EMMC brick fix! Thanks to Jaymoon pg.#44

Search This thread

garwynn

Retired Forum Mod / Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 30, 2011
NE Ohio
www.extra-life.org
Is there any way to get the 16Gb back? I don't want to be stuck with only 8Gb especially since this isn't my phone I just messed up.

Depending on where on the eMMC it triggers the lockup you may be able to recover some.
Please click on the following link to get to hg42's thread.
You'll find some tools to help assess where the problem is and if possible, a modified PIT that may help.

http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1667886

If you've done this already - at the moment you're at the limitations.
I'm sure that someone will update this thread if that changes.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Don't take donations. Thanks is good enough.
    After trying to follow about 3 or 4 different threads on this issue, I finally came across the guide here for the Galaxy Note: ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! Lucky for E4GT owners with the brick issue, it works for us too! (brick issue meaning your phone powers on, and you can get in to recovery, but can't format /data or install a rom)

I just tried this today, and so far so good. First off, the guide is worth a read to understand the issue, and how they went about solving it ...but we'll save all that reading for afterwards... :silly:

Head over to the ATTENTION! my way out of a MMC_CAP_ERASE brick! thread, and scroll down to the section Update: instructions for unexperienced users

Read those instructions carefully so you have a basic understanding what is going on. You'll also need this 16GB file PIT file: Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit

(Updated: The OP added specific E4GT PIT files to avoid confusion, after this post was written. The Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit is confirmed to work, yet as time goes on, there may be a better solution discovered.)

Now open up ODIN. Make sure your phone is plugged in and in Download Mode (When phone is off, hold down Power and Vol Down until you see the warning screen). There should also be a yellow box in ODIN meaning your phone is ready.

Choose the 16GB PIT file in the PIT box. Select the EG30 Stock Rom in the PDA box. Cross your fingers, and Start the process.

If the process Passes (Green), then EG30 Stock should start booting up!

If you're cool with that, you're done. Otherwise, use e4gtauto-sfx to root and install CWM, then flash a *good* ICS rom such as Phantom's Blazer Rom. :good:

* one small note though, using the Standard PIT fix, will decrease your internal storage from 16GB, to a total of 8GB. There are other PIT files you could try to get some of that space back, or just write it off as a loss, and get a bigger MicroSD card. :p
    Step by step instructions

So after months of trying...flashing all the one clicks they showed and of odining stocks and ics I just got to flash al el26 modem and the calks format all and cyanogenmod 9?!?! and thats all?! or I have to do the galaxy note page that is shown?! confuseed :eek:

Okay.
    1) create a folder on your desktop. call it "epic4gtouch". Something...

2) Download "pits-patched-standard.zip"

3) open the zip, select both "Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit" and "Q1_20110914_16GB-patched.pit.txt" and drag them to the "epic4gtouch" folder you created.

4) Download ODIN.
    *The link should go to Google Docs. The two arrows on the far right are clickable. Click, then "download". (Download both .ini and .exe)
    **Place those in a new folder called "ODIN", place the ODIN folder in the "epic4gtouch" folder.

5) Download this "EG30 stock rom".
    *Place it in the "epic4gtouch" folder.

6) Open the ODIN folder, then open "odin3 v1.85"

7) On your phone, go into download mode: hold volume down + power.
    *"Warning...blah blah..." Release those buttons, then press the volume up button.

8) Connect your phone to your pc with the usb cable.

9) Back on ODIN, a box should highlight yellow. The big white box on the corner should say added.

10) Click the PIT button, navigate to the "epic4gtouch" folder on your desktop. Choose the 16GB PIT file.

11) Click the PDA button, navigate to the "epic4gtouch" folder on your desktop.
    Choose the "Stock-EG30" rom.

12) Make sure "Auto Reboot" and "Re-Partition" are the ONLY ones ticked. Also make sure the usb cable is not loose.

13) Press the big button "Start."

Once it's complete, it will boot to the EG30 Stock rom.
    Mine went into a loop on the Sprint 4G Screen animation.
    This post solved that.
    ______
    Put the Calk's_FORMAT_ALL script, the gapps package, and THIS rom CM9 alpha5 all on the external SD card.

Go back to ODIN, hit the Reset button. Click PDA select the EL26CWM kernel.
    Untick re-partition AND reboot.
    Connect phone with pc via usb cable.
    Press the big Start button.
    Once complete, unplug, take the battery out, re insert it. Volume Up + power.
    Hold till you get into recovery.
    Flash Calk's_FORMAT_ALL script.
    Flash the ROM.
    Flash the gapps package.
    Reboot.
    ____

Anyway, thats pretty much what I did to fix my phone.
    Follow all the above if the original post is too confusing. (which really... it isn't at all.) :highfive:
    So it sounds like the common factor is people used CWM Touch to restore their backup?

I am uploading an ODIN One-Click to try in case anyone still has their phone. It'll be ready in around 35 minutes.
    FYI, CWM Touch recovery has also caused some problems with BlazerROM. I don't know if this information would help figure out the issue, but i'll bring it up just in case.

A few people were on the 'Hitman' kernel (comes with Touch recovery) and tried to flash BlazerROM v3.8 (latest at the time) and got stuck at boot loops or would just hang at the Samsung logo. People were able to restore back to a nandroid of v3.7 though. Some people used the one-click ODIN'd back to EL29 stock without issue as well. If you look at the BlazerROM thread in the dev section, it starts around page 417. PhantomHacker also suggests not using hitman (read: touch recovery) to flash his ROMs.

So it seems CMW Touch Recovery is the common denominator, but folks in the BlazerROM thread were able to restore successfully, either through nandroid backups or odin. I'm wondering if its the combination of touch recovery and the FBxx leaks that's causing the /data corruptions.

I am still around, but had to travel at the last minute.

It is hard to do any debugging without my dev setup, so i wouldn't expect any updates from me until the end of the week.

Before i left i think i at least figured out why cwm touch was causing issues for some but not others. As mentioned earlier cwm touch already behaves funky on gingerbread roms.

What tipped the scale appears to be if you used the cwm touch update.zip to "fake flash" using the stock ics fb09/fb15/fb17 recovery. When you "fake flash" cwm touch, you end up combining a cwm touch recovery, that was already behaving funny with a linux 2.6 kernel, with the ics linux 3.0 linux kernel. This was just too much and when cwm touch went to format or restore it hoarked some meta data making it impossible for utilities to access, format, or repartition /data.

The people who did not have fatal situations with cwm touch didn't the fake flash on top of the 3.0 linux kernel. They odin flashed a 2.6 gb kernel with cwm touch packed into the initramfs.

So the moral of the story is don't go fake flashing recoveries with arbitrary kernels, you might not like what you get.

Btw both update.zip and rom manager do fake flashes.

Sorry for the typos, i am using swype.