So laggy!

Search This thread

Caelrie

Aug 31, 2013
I played with a tab pro 8.4 at Best Buy today for about 20 minutes because I was wondering if it could replace both my nexus 10 and my nexus 7 (2013). I think I changed my mind, given the sheer amount of lag I saw on any type of scrolling whatsoever. Changing home screens, flipping through the app drawer, scrolling in chrome, you name it. It was like using a device from 2010.

Boo on you, Samsung! Now I gotta shop some more.

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Chrome works great for me. I haven't seen any delays in switching apps or opening magazine or multi window.

Then again, I have a clean install with a bunch of unused stuff disabled.

chadderbox

May 30, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
Don't go by the store demo. It's been discussed here before. The units in the store are running in an awful demo mode. It's very laggy and a terrible representation. I have the 8.4 and got rid of a Nexus 7 and an LG G Tab 8.3 and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: Silkmeister1

golfinggino

Nov 23, 2011
burlington, on
I currently have the 2013 nexus 7 and have owned a nexus 10 both with custom roms and the stock 8.4 is faster then both, as mentioned you shouldn't base your opinion on a demo tablet

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium HD app

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
I doubt it matters. Most informed buyers buy based on reputable reviews from known sites.

People that buy based on playing with it in the store for a few minutes are either impulse buyers or are being sold by the salesguy.

That's the type of buyer that wouldn't know the performance difference either way...

Reactions: RaiderWill

knarfies

Jul 30, 2012
Yeah I played with the 12.2, saw it lag numerous times and I love samsung products. I figured it was the demo software.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk 4

Gunner86

Apr 24, 2009
I purchased an 8.4 and I can confirm that there is alot of lag throughout the os.

Sent from my SM-T320 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

JaylanPHNX

Nov 16, 2010
I never had any lag on my 8.4 with the stock OS. Now that I'm running crpalmer's CM 11, I can't remember what lag is.

From my Pro Tab 8.4

chadderbox

May 30, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
I'm not sure I understand what people complain about with lag. If I'm running Touchwiz and scroll or use magazine/flip board UI I see a slight hesitation. It's there if I choose to nitpick but it doesn't bother me as it doesn't affect anything from a usage standpoint. God forbid the home button when pressed has a millisecond delay before going back to the home screen. Not trying to be an a** but I honestly think the people complaining would fine something else to complain about even if things were instantaneous.

The things I care about like the Internet or email or games and movies have no problem or lag at all. I came from the Nexus 7 and G Pad and couldn't be happier.

Reactions: stoney73 and CASz

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
I'm not sure I understand what people complain about with lag. If I'm running Touchwiz and scroll or use magazine/flip board UI I see a slight hesitation. It's there if I choose to nitpick but it doesn't bother me as it doesn't affect anything from a usage standpoint. God forbid the home button when pressed has a millisecond delay before going back to the home screen. Not trying to be an a** but I honestly think the people complaining would fine something else to complain about even if things were instantaneous.

The things I care about like the Internet or email or games and movies have no problem or lag at all. I came from the Nexus 7 and G Pad and couldn't be happier.

I second that. I care about how apps run, not how much time it takes to switch between them...

For me it is much faster than my prior G Pad and a better battery life (and much better screen!).

Thrilled with the 8.4

Reactions: stoney73

Caelrie

Aug 31, 2013

We're not talking about the time it takes to open apps. We're talking about screen hitches and stutters. Maybe you've just never used a smooth device before so you don't know any better.

RobilarOCN

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
We're not talking about the time it takes to open apps. We're talking about screen hitches and stutters. Maybe you've just never used a smooth device before so you don't know any better.

I've owned about 20 different tablets (Happy to post pics of them if you like). I can tell when a device lags during application use (video playback for example).

I haven't seen an instance of it yet with the 8.4. I've had tablets with terrible lag (The first Asus Transformer for example).

chadderbox

May 30, 2008
Williamstown, NJ

So the Nexus 7 isn't smooth? Trust me I've had enough devices to understand the difference, and I clearly said in my post there is a slight bit of hesitation or stutter, but that it doesn't bother me. It's ever so slight. I'm saying I don't understand how this affects usage for people. Would I like it to be buttery smooth? Sure, but I can't complain as once in in an app, which is where 99 plus percent of my time is spent I don't see anything. It doesn't do it when gaming or watching movies or even surfing the Web. Most users wouldn't even notice it.

I am loving the device. I switched to Nova launcher and any stutter swiping is gone.

Caelrie

Aug 31, 2013
So the Nexus 7 isn't smooth? Trust me I've had enough devices to understand the difference, and I clearly said in my post there is a slight bit of hesitation or stutter, but that it doesn't bother me. It's ever so slight. I'm saying I don't understand how this affects usage for people. Would I like it to be buttery smooth? Sure, but I can't complain as once in in an app, which is where 99 plus percent of my time is spent I don't see anything. It doesn't do it when gaming or watching movies or even surfing the Web. Most users wouldn't even notice it.
I was mostly being snarky because the "you people would just find something to complain about even if it were perfect" line irked me. It's such a copout fanboy thing to say. Leave that crap on the Apple forums, where you're supposed to believe your device was handed down to you by God. Every device has something wrong with it. My nexus 7 is plagued with touch errors that I HOPE I've finally fixed with a custom flash.

I am loving the device. I switched to Nova launcher and any stutter swiping is gone.
What do you lose by going to Nova?

chadderbox

May 30, 2008
Williamstown, NJ
I was mostly being snarky because the "you people would just find something to complain about even if it were perfect" line irked me. It's such a copout fanboy thing to say. Leave that crap on the Apple forums, where you're supposed to believe your device was handed down to you by God. Every device has something wrong with it. My nexus 7 is plagued with touch errors that I HOPE I've finally fixed with a custom flash.

What do you lose by going to Nova?

I've got it and it's not a fan boy thing as I'm not a Samsung fan normally. My intention wasn't to be an a**hole but I know it comes across that way. I'm glad you said no device is prefect and I completely agree with that. They all have something. And while my Nexus 7 was silky smooth with custom ROME and kernels, my first had many touch issues while the second was better but still there. Just the awful UI. I'm sure there is something more, but I haven't found it or just didn't need it to begin with. I'm very pleased with it

TurboRZR

May 18, 2013
I am coming from a nexus 10 which I loved........ until my son did a cheetah flip and crushed the screen. I think my tab pro 8.4 is on par with my nexus. The screen is as good or better IMO. Video playback with MX player is perfectly smooth. Yes, every now and then there is a little stutter when switching screens. I've noticed that it is almost always when I go to or from the magazine ux screen.
I loved to bare bones UI of my nexus 10 but what can I say, I like all the options and eye candy of the Samsung tainted UI. I'm sure root and getting rid of a bunch of junk would probably help out quite a bit. I know it made a difference on my nexus.

mattbooty

Aug 17, 2010
How is web browsing lag? What frustrates me the most on my current tab (transformer infinity) is lots of lag in browsing in chrome... switching tabs sometimes pauses for several seconds, scrolling in pages it sometimes becomes unresponsive for seconds or will turn gray for a few seconds while it renders the next section.

For inexpensive tabs that is probably acceptable, but if I'm paying a premium I would expect a completely smooth experience. Can anyone comment on that?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Don't go by the store demo. It's been discussed here before. The units in the store are running in an awful demo mode. It's very laggy and a terrible representation. I have the 8.4 and got rid of a Nexus 7 and an LG G Tab 8.3 and couldn't be happier.
    I doubt it matters. Most informed buyers buy based on reputable reviews from known sites.

People that buy based on playing with it in the store for a few minutes are either impulse buyers or are being sold by the salesguy.

That's the type of buyer that wouldn't know the performance difference either way...
    Have you encountered any lag or skipping frames while watching HD videos using Mx player ?

Sent from my LG-V510 using Tapatalk

I haven't and I watch fairly large sized mkv files as well as smaller avi and mp4 files. I've watched about 15 hours of video on it since getting in hand. Not a single hiccup.

I second that. I care about how apps run, not how much time it takes to switch between them...

For me it is much faster than my prior G Pad and a better battery life (and much better screen!).

Thrilled with the 8.4