nexus 5 bad scores?

Search This thread

clorbag

Nov 26, 2010
Carson ca
so i was watching youtube and this guy did a few tests, antutu quadrant etc.the nexus 5 didnt even score as high as s4 on any of them.
is this because of 4.4? dunno just seems really odd a phone equipped the way it is wouldnt make good scores. ik they are mostly superficial but it kinda does matter to me.

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com
so i was watching youtube and this guy did a few tests, antutu quadrant etc.the nexus 5 didnt even score as high as s4 on any of them.
is this because of 4.4? dunno just seems really odd a phone equipped the way it is wouldnt make good scores. ik they are mostly superficial but it kinda does matter to me.

Samsung are one of the known companies to optimize their CPU for benchmarks. Ever since this discovery I have come to believe there completely useless!

I am pretty sure Apple do the same but not sure.

So don't bother with them no more is my advice. you will see in real world usage how much faster it is. it's a beast.

Reactions: Omya

mjs2011

May 25, 2011
It's the same reason why you don't solely judge a football team by total yards. There's much more to the story.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

clorbag

Nov 26, 2010
Carson ca
yeah i thought they were odd. i had phones that were powerful that didnt score well. and phones with less power scoring insane. its really for bragging rights among friends. but its something i seem to use every time i get a new phone. that also explains why some stock roms making better scores then some of the better custom ones.

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
I don't know why this still has to be said every time a new phone is released, but here we go... Benchmark scores mean absolutely NOTHING in real world usability/performance. Stop worrying about it and enjoy your phone (whenever you get it).

itpromike

Oct 5, 2009
Samsung are one of the known companies to optimize their CPU for benchmarks. Ever since this discovery I have come to believe there completely useless!

So don't bother with them no more is my advice. you will see in real world usage how much faster it is. it's a beast.

Actually the same investigators who have brought the benchmark goosing issues to light have already said the neither Motorola nor Apple does this. So some companies benchmarked still hold true.

Reactions: Omya

TheTehk17

Apr 5, 2011

According to Anandtech the performance gain of the "optimizations" is about 5%. So, not much.

And about Apple, what they do is optimize their software for specific benchmarks. Even worse IMO. ;)

Last edited:
K

knucklesmckay

He's correct. Even if benchmarks don't matter it still shouldn't score this low. There is something wrong. Like someone said before the benchmark apps probably need to be updated to 4.4. But it is something to keep an eye on. We should keep an eye on real world performance, if that lags than we have the benchmarks as a reference.

Sent from my SGH-I747

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
WHO CARES! Yes, I agree that it shouldn't be benchmarking so low with the same processor as the note 3 and g2, but in real world use, this thing probably flies like the Nexus 4.

I haven't actually used the device, so I actually have no clue if it's fast or not, but according to all the reviews and hands on's, it's fast.

---------- Post added at 08:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:18 PM ----------

Reminds me of The Kardashians...lots of fake drama, ultimately meaning nothing.

lol

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
He's correct. Even if benchmarks don't matter it still shouldn't score this low. There is something wrong. Like someone said before the benchmark apps probably need to be updated to 4.4. But it is something to keep an eye on. We should keep an eye on real world performance, if that lags than we have the benchmarks as a reference.

Sent from my SGH-I747

My point still stands. It all still means nothing. If the benchmark apps update for 4.4 (assuming that this is even the issue) and the scores stay low, then what? Are you going to return your phone? Are you going to demand an explanation from Google/LG? I mean, seriously what does it matter what these arbitrary scores are if your phone performs exactly as you'd expect it to?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an ass but it just seems silly to waste time caring about this.

aooga

Feb 19, 2011
California
My point still stands. It all still means nothing. If the benchmark apps update for 4.4 (assuming that this is even the issue) and the scores stay low, then what? Are you going to return your phone? Are you going to demand an explanation from Google/LG? I mean, seriously what does it matter what these arbitrary scores are if your phone performs exactly as you'd expect it to?

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as an ass but it just seems silly to waste time caring about this.

Completely agree. :good:

Phazmos

Dec 6, 2010
Moto G Power (2021)
Benchmarks are so misunderstood.

Benchmarks won't tell ya how smooth a device will be, at least with hardware within a year or 2 of each other. And that's simply cuz modern hardware will run most any semi well coded os smoothly.

Benchmarks will give ya a real good idea how long a device will take to zip or unzip files, or recode or edit that hd video you just took, or run that 3d intensive game, and many others things.

So ya see, benchmarks can be meaningless, and can be most informative. Depends on what your talking about, and the trolls never say what they are taking about. Merrily we troll along ......... troll along ......... troll along .......

K

knucklesmckay

Doesn't matter to me. Real world performance is all I need. They shouldn't be low though if the g2 is getting 1,000s of points higher. I am sure everything will be fine though when I get mine and test it out.

Sent from my SGH-I747

AndroidInsanity

Jan 15, 2012
Huddersfield
www.youtube.com

Sent from my SGH-I747

But it was the Same with the Nexus 4. the Xperia Z blew it away even with same specs. Which is more evidence that benchmarks are useless.

One thing I can't help but wonder is how much would a iPhone score with a snapdragon 800 :eek:

clorbag

Nov 26, 2010
Carson ca
some of you are taking this out of context and making it more then it needs to be. all i want to know is why its not scoring as high as expected or to comparable devices. i don't care if benchmark tests mean anything or not.

mi7chy

Oct 26, 2008
Most synthetic benchmarks are useless and misleading. The only ones I pay attention to are ones based on real game engines like Epic Citadel and Anomaly 2. Can anyone share benchmark results for these two at highest settings?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I don't know why this still has to be said every time a new phone is released, but here we go... Benchmark scores mean absolutely NOTHING in real world usability/performance. Stop worrying about it and enjoy your phone (whenever you get it).

Sent from my SGH-I747

Actually the same investigators who have brought the benchmark goosing issues to light have already said the neither Motorola nor Apple does this. So some companies benchmarked still hold true.
    Nexus devices do not "optimize" (Read: cheat) benchmark tests. Other devices, especially Samsung ones, do. They will clock themselves higher and longer when running benchmarks than they do when running any other app (even games). It makes the cheating devices look better despite equal hardware.

Long story short, don't look at benchmarks because even at their best, they're outright invalid.