Higher brightness screen in KK

Search This thread

tyrexs

Apr 25, 2012
Barcelona, Catalonia
Today I compared two Moto G (mine with german KK, the other one from my mother with 4.3). Surprise: minimum/maximum brightness is higher in KK. This means that SOC time will be reduced at the end of the day for most users... Can't complain though, if I got 6 SOT on 4.3 now I get around 5h on KK, which now makes sense because I didn't understand what happened.

It's just to see if anyone else noticed it as well, as it's easy to see.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

rioachim

Jul 4, 2011
is this also the case for automatic brightness? and does the brightness slider work together with automatic brightness, or are they separate options like in 4.3? thanks

tyrexs

Apr 25, 2012
Barcelona, Catalonia
is this also the case for automatic brightness? and does the brightness slider work together with automatic brightness, or are they separate options like in 4.3? thanks

Automatic brightness is also higher, yes. With respect to 2nd question, it's like in 4.3, you choose whether to use automatic brightness or choose the level of brightness you want:
jasu8epa.jpg

Krisshp

Dec 29, 2012
Today I compared two Moto G (mine with german KK, the other one from my mother with 4.3). Surprise: minimum/maximum brightness is higher in KK. This means that SOC time will be reduced at the end of the day for most users... Can't complain though, if I got 6 SOT on 4.3 now I get around 5h on KK, which now makes sense because I didn't understand what happened.

Correct me if I'm wrong

But

1) On Moto G Kit kat makes the screen brighter > This means the screen is brighter > This will cause battery life OVERALL to fall... right? compared to 4.3 jelly bean

I find the screen brightness perfect for my needs right now at 4.3

Ummm

Reactions: tyrexs

t-bon3

May 16, 2010
This is one area where the iPhone definitely wins.

Give users the ability to control the overall level of auto brightness.

cesc1972

Feb 10, 2011
Can anyone check in 4.3 if the power consumption of the screen at the lowest brightness level is lower or the same?

Attachments

• d5NEMWn.png
    d5NEMWn.png
    84.9 KB · Views: 437

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
Which app is that, let me know and I will test.

Bear in mind though that to really test you would need to use the same phone on 4.3 them upgrade it to 4.4. The reason is that each phone could possibly have it's screen calibrated slightly differently , ie maybe the OP's two phones would have different brightness even if both running the same android version.

However I do appreciate there is a (perceived) difference in screen time in the for the OP. But maybe its something else other than the screen in kitkat that is draining the battery quicker.

Last edited:

cesc1972

Feb 10, 2011
Which app is that, let me know and I will test.

Bear in mind though that to really test you would need to use the same phone on 4.3 them upgrade it to 4.4. The reason is that each phone could possibly have it's screen calibrated slightly differently , ie maybe the OP's two phones would have different brightness even if both running the same android version.

However I do appreciate there is a (perceived) difference in screen on the for the OP.

It's called PowerTutor https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.umich.PowerTutor&hl=es

scott_doyland

Dec 8, 2011
I get same results on 4.3, ie its showing figure of 300.

But I don't trust the results. If I switch to auto brightness the graph still keeps churning out the same figures even though my screen brightens. Same if I use full brightness then switch to auto - new stats keep saying the same figure as on full.

Reactions: cesc1972

jusada

May 13, 2011
shropshire uk
I don't doubt this is true. But my battery is even better on kk so I'm a little shocked.

coursemyhorse

Jun 5, 2012
I don't understand again why they have made such a change for the worse in this area if it is true. I cannot detect a difference in brightness at the moment.

JoaoSony

Jun 16, 2012
I have the same impression with my girlfriend phone, but it isnt because the KitKat! Its hardware.
There are some units that the screen looks more pinkish (you can see when is turn off) and there others with a blueish screen.
The fist one has lower brightness,you can see in white pages.

Mmh7

Jun 3, 2013
I find the screen too bright with auto mode on both JB and KK. I have been using lux (with default settings) for a few weeks now and it's great.

Sent from my XT1032 using xda app-developers app

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Correct me if I'm wrong

But

1) On Moto G Kit kat makes the screen brighter > This means the screen is brighter > This will cause battery life OVERALL to fall... right? compared to 4.3 jelly bean

I find the screen brightness perfect for my needs right now at 4.3

Ummm
    I get same results on 4.3, ie its showing figure of 300.

But I don't trust the results. If I switch to auto brightness the graph still keeps churning out the same figures even though my screen brightens. Same if I use full brightness then switch to auto - new stats keep saying the same figure as on full.